Thread: The Black Hood

Default The Black Hood

Any fans of The Back Hood around? Issue 6 just dropped this week, so I'll start of a Black Hood general with issue 6 spoilers. It is a one-shot issue, but has more character development than the entire first arc. Let's dive in.
    spoilers:
    Our hero is in a rehab that looks more like a beach resort. He is self conscious around other patients because of his scars, and for anonymity sake, he isn't allowed to say that he is a cop. He writes letters home to Jessie, has toruble sleeping, and wears the Black Hood at night for comfort.
    A fellow patient named Elisa comes to our hero saying that the Mexican cartel is going to have her killed, and that she thinks one of the fellow patients is a hitman, but doesn't know who. Greg calls his old partner and gets him to dig up dirt on all the other patients.
    When Elisa says the cartel left a flower in her bedroom as a warning that death was imminent, Greg uses the info his partner sent him to narrow it down to the most likely candidate for killer.
    He attacks a dude with a gang connection in his sleep. The dude fights back with a knife, saying he was expecting something like this. The Hood chokes the man to death. But when he goes to tell Elise she is safe now, he finds her room empty.
    The next day in group therapy, no one seems to know where Elise went.He leaves group and runs down the beach, looking for her. Only to discover the horrible truth: He has been duped. Elise was actually a killer, and the man that Black Hood killed was her target, and she set Hood up to take the fall. He tries to fight her but she overpowers him. She reminds him that all evidence points to him, and no one will believe him that she manipulated him. She leaves him to wallow in misery and bury the body.
    end of spoilers
    Welp, that's our newest adventure with our favorite drug addicted super hero, and I gotta say, he sucks at the job so far LOL.

You might also want to check out the general "Archie Comics: Dark Circle Comics(2015): Hype/Discussion Thread " sticky thread (http://community.comicbookresources....cussion-Thread).

Also, there's already a CBR thread for issue #7.

He's definitely not the most successful hero I've ever seen. I think that's one of the things that makes this book compelling. He's trying -- but, well, that's about it. Sometimes he's gets it right. Other times he has to dig a grave in the sand with his hands.

There's really nothing like this book on the market at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Any fans of The Back Hood around? Issue 6 just dropped this week, so I'll start of a Black Hood general with issue 6 spoilers. It is a one-shot issue, but has more character development than the entire first arc. Let's dive in.
    spoilers:
    Our hero is in a rehab that looks more like a beach resort. He is self conscious around other patients because of his scars, and for anonymity sake, he isn't allowed to say that he is a cop. He writes letters home to Jessie, has toruble sleeping, and wears the Black Hood at night for comfort.
    A fellow patient named Elisa comes to our hero saying that the Mexican cartel is going to have her killed, and that she thinks one of the fellow patients is a hitman, but doesn't know who. Greg calls his old partner and gets him to dig up dirt on all the other patients.
    When Elisa says the cartel left a flower in her bedroom as a warning that death was imminent, Greg uses the info his partner sent him to narrow it down to the most likely candidate for killer.
    He attacks a dude with a gang connection in his sleep. The dude fights back with a knife, saying he was expecting something like this. The Hood chokes the man to death. But when he goes to tell Elise she is safe now, he finds her room empty.
    The next day in group therapy, no one seems to know where Elise went.He leaves group and runs down the beach, looking for her. Only to discover the horrible truth: He has been duped. Elise was actually a killer, and the man that Black Hood killed was her target, and she set Hood up to take the fall. He tries to fight her but she overpowers him. She reminds him that all evidence points to him, and no one will believe him that she manipulated him. She leaves him to wallow in misery and bury the body.
    end of spoilers
    Welp, that's our newest adventure with our favorite drug addicted super hero, and I gotta say, he sucks at the job so far LOL.
    Man... I don't know about this issue. I absolutely adored the first arc, but this issue seemed sort of rushed, and the art was pretty awful, especially compared to the gritty feel of the first arc. I'll try issue 7, but I'm not sure how much more I can handle of this guy.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Is Chaykin going to be the regular artist, or was this just a one-off?

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Is Chaykin going to be the regular artist, or was this just a one-off?
    I guess I'm overreacting. It looks like he's only on for one more issue, then it's back to Gaydos. I was assuming he would be on for another 4 issues at least. I think I can hang on for that long.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    I guess I'm overreacting. It looks like he's only on for one more issue, then it's back to Gaydos. I was assuming he would be on for another 4 issues at least. I think I can hang on for that long.
    The art was not to my liking. I almost considered removing it from my pull list. If Gaydos is back then I'll stick it out until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Selykg View Post
    The art was not to my liking. I almost considered removing it from my pull list. If Gaydos is back then I'll stick it out until then.
    Me too. It turned me way off... Especially since Gaydos was so amazing.

Issue 7 was another goodie. Frankenstein is back on the beat. And it only took him one full issue to decide that the Hood should come out of retirement. "Spread the word, scumbags". The Hood is back! With good art. I re-read last months ish before this and was blown away by how bad it was. I guess I didn't realize the first time around.