Default Vertigo in October. What did you think?

We got the new slate of titles, a new one each Wed. So what did you think of them?

For me Twilight Children was the cream of the crop, it more than lived up to my expectations.

Survivor's Club and Art Ops have potential. I found them flawed in some ways (Club was overstuffed, Ops lacked heat), but there's some good ideas here if they can tighten things up.

Clean Room was a big disappointment for me. I love Simone on books like Secret Six and Red Sonja, but even I have to admit she can be heavy handed, and as such is probably a bad fit for Vertigo. It just seemed like she was trying too hard to be arty and edgy.

So my grades...

Twilight Children: A+
    Survivors Club: B-
    Art Ops: B-
    Clean Room: D

Now it's off to November. Hope we pick up a few gems there.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Only managed to get Art Ops so far. It was a little disappointing. The art protection aspect doesn't really interest me, but the personalities of the paintings we see could save it for me. Didn't really like Reggie either. I've ordered Clean Room and I need to order Survivors' Club this week.

Excited for November. Unfollow is the one I'm looking forward to the most.

Mighty Member

I really liked Twilight Children and Clean Room. Survivor's Club has potential, but the first issue seemed a little uneven. I haven't gotten to Art Ops yet.

I can see why Clean Room might come off heavy handed but I think Simone has some salient points in it. I enjoyed the first issue a lot plus the art is good.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Twilight Children was definitely the best of the bunch. It wasn't a perfect first issue, but it certainly provided enough hook to bring me back. Like a lot of Beto's work, it will build over the series, and the supernatural elements will almost certainly be secondary to how people react to them.

Clean Room and Art Ops were solid first issues. Enough to bring me back, but with a shorter leash in both cases. I liked Art Ops more, but that was for Allred's art.

I missed out on Survivor's Club. I'll have to see if there's a copy when I'm at my LCS on Wednesday. I know Unfollow 1 is coming out, too.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I really liked Twilight Children and Survivor's Club myself so I'll be continuing with those but the others didn't pique my interest enough for another issue.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Cooke's style really works to Twilight Children's advantage I think. It has an old school vibe to it, and because of that the piece reminds me of some 50s sci-fi flick (The Space Children?) I like how it starts off as this small town, day in the life thing... and suddenly something weird pops up. And off we go.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Man...I wish I liked Art Ops more. Sticking with it through the first arc at the very least, but apart from the Allreds' art it was just plain underwhelming.

Tried Twilight Children and Art Ops. First one was delightful while second one was a bit disappointing, was expecting more from that team.

Twilight Children was great. Hopefully this is collected as a hardback. I’m surprised people were so meh on Art Ops.

Twilight Children: A
    Art Ops: B+
    Clean Room: C
    Survivors Club: blah

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I really enjoyed Twilight Children and Clean Room. Sadly my comic shop didnt get any copies of Art Ops for some reason so I have yet to read it. Survivors club was just ok I probably wont pick up anymore issues of it, but I will deffinantly stick with Twilight Children and Clean Room.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

I tried them all and I just wasn't impressed. It saddens me how far downhill Vertigo went these last couple of years. This is the same people who put out Y:The Last Man & Lucifer. Sad.

Spectacular Member

Twilight Children is definitely the best of the bunch for October. I'm definitely staying for the rest of the mini series. Clean Room was second for me. Survivors Club is okay, and Art Ops didn't grab my interest as much as I expected it too. Both first issues of Survivors Club and Art Ops felt more like a slow set-up for the story, so I will still try out both series to see if it gets any better.

Mighty Member

I absolutely LOVED Clean Room and Art Ops. Just read Unfollow and it was pretty good too.

Art Ops: A
    Clean Room: B
    Unfollow: B-

I picked up Clean Room and Unfollow - really like Unfollow, Clean Room will need to step up a bit for the next issue to see if it is worth sticking around. Having said that I hardly ever stop buying a series once I've commited to a No.1 - strange....