Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default When did you stop reading X-Men?

Was it the Schism arc? AvX? What was the moment you realized you weren't happy with the direction of the books and called it quits?

While I haven't stopped reading X-Books, I stopped reading the core titles after schism was followed up by AvX. Was tempted to come back when Mutants could start being Born again but Bendis was on Uncanny and I really don't like his writing when it's anything above street level. Of course the second he leaves we get terrigen mist bullshit.

Basically I'm waiting for the X-Men to stop being a bunch of depressing assholes who fight each other all the time, I'm not hopeful.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 11-01-2015 at 07:09 AM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Secret Wars.

Chuck Austen.
    I returned for Magik's return in New Mutants v3.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Couldnt relate to or have interest the stories, nor did the main characters of said stories keep my attention. Everything felt like a filler, or spot saver. Just spinning their wheels while the rest of the surrounding universe moved along. I guess started loosing interest around the time they ended Spurrier's Legacy, Hopeless' X-Force and Asmus' Gambit. I gave Bendis' X-titles a try but I found them flat and unreadable in some points. Like they were tapping on a demographic that imo doesnt exist. Started reading PAD's X-Factor... started out pretty good but its kind of obvious his work started to wain once he found out the book was being canceled (even though it was outselling many other still existing books). Marvel's whole marketing strategy and sales projections need to be revamped. Readership shrinks as a whole every year. Constantly alienating your current readership to chase a group that doesnt (new readers!) exist is lunacy. They need to temper their sales expectations to whats more achievable, and not to yesteryear. When they return to making good stories and not constantly trying to hit old bench mark sales points by forcing us (or trying) to buy a dozen tie-ins or relaunches, I think they'll find their stride again.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 11-01-2015 at 07:55 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

BANNED

It was when I dropped all Marvel books because cover prices went up to $4 while quality (as in the quality of physical book, nothing to do with the story) kept sliding downwards.

Crap like Spider-Man: One More Day also played a big role in my general dissatisfaction with Big Two superhero books.

I haven't; still loving the X-verse
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I stopped follow everything in relation to marvel after Civil War and only returned at the end of marvel dark reign.

Not like the course marvel at that time especially in relation to X-mens and Spiderman the pact with Mephisto killed a lot of my love for the character.

Would like to erase from my mind fear itself fortunately only bought a few issues of this event.

I lost a lot in relation to Hope and had to run to inform me when AvX began. The Schism is also something that wish have avoided spending money despite having importance in the situation of mutants today.

Fatal Attractions. I was so bummed about Wolverine I stopped reading and collecting comics, altogether. It wasn't until Cobra Civil War from IDW that I got back into it. Marvel Now happened after that...

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Some time before CC quit, quality had already dropped a lot IMHO (now we know why). When he was gone, I made an effort to keep on; at the time the title split into two, I just bought X-Men because the characters I like the best were in the Blue Team. So I held on with horrid Lee & Lobdell writing and plots, and with bombastic drawing, till X-Men v. 2 #12 --then I couldn't stand it anymore, and I wrote a very sad letter-manifesto to editors in which I explained why I didn't gonna buy X-titles anymore (summarizing: "I just didn't care already for what may happen to my old friends").

I quit The New Mutants, too, right when Liefeld came (the horror! the horror!). Till then, Blevins' good work had allowed me to read the so-so Weezie's stories with pleasure, but after him...

Excalibur ended for me when Davis was gone (writing & drawing). That's pretty clear, no?

Since then, I've been taking a stab here and there, but I think that the only title I've really enjoyed (a lot!) is PAD's X-Factor.

Too bad...
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 11-01-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Constantly alienating your current readership to chase a group that doesnt (new readers!) exist is lunacy.
    I would say that the success of character like Kamala Khan or Spider-Gwen or Miles Morales very well proves that their is a potential market of readers to be explored. A market that is not interest in reading the 1000th story about Steve Rogers or Thor Odinson saving the day. When they haven't liked the 999 stories before they surely won't like the 1000th one either. They want something different. Exactly that is what Marvel is currently exploring.
    Readership is shrinking but that is because the old readers obviously grow older and older and simply move on with their lives and the new ones are not interested in the stuff that the "old farts" read about. You are basically trying to sell classical music from the 18th century to people who want pop music or hip-hop or techno. That simply doesn't work.
    No industry on this planet can afford to stagnate or not go with the times. Music, television, video games, movies and so on all evolve. It's kinda silly to think that comics would somehow be exempt from that. Yes that means that if you are one of the "old farts" you will eventually be pushed out completely but tough luck that is simply how life works. You will be replaced by younger people who won't share your tastes, interests, mindset, beliefs or attitude in all facets of life. If you want a Ford Model T because you like the mechanics, look and history then good luck since they are not produced anymore. Either you buy the new models that are produced or you don't and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I haven't; still loving the X-verse
    Same here.
    "This is me being reasonable"

BANNED

When they stopped having their heroes try to archive peaceful coexistence with humanity and being a mutant became a metaphor for minorities using their history of victims as justification for their own bigotry.

I stopped collecting about the time Ben Raab was handed the reins to what seemed like damn near half the X-Books for a while. I dropped Marvel entirely, then sniffed around a bit during the Jemas era a few years later and rekindled a fondness for the X-Books (despite Austen's presence). I've only spot-read since coming back, though. There's no use collecting entire lines or even full runs of one series when Marvel's decided it's fine for stories set in the same era with the same characters to massively contradict each other. So I haven't quit, per se, but I'm also not regularly buying any Marvel books in single issues, I'm buying a lot of my trades used half a year or more after release, etc. The urgency to keep current just isn't there any longer.

I stopped reading the moment I realized the x-office were willfully ignorant to the fact they destroyed the last male poc character that was of good quality and seem to be hung up on wolvie-clops to support the entire expanse of mutantdom. It's no surprise that x-world is in slow death mode from the inside, out.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

ANAD.

Not liking the retreading and hate all the teams atm.

No Adult Cyclops, Emma or Rachel is a no buy in my eyes.