Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Why Does Kirby's The Demon, not get any love?

Title says it all. I just don't understand why The Demon Etrigan doesn't get any love from DC or many DC fans for that matter. I'd argue the character is extremely multi-dimensional. There's many types of stories writers can tell with the Demon:
    Superhero: Check
    Fantasy: Check
    Horror: Check
    Dark Humor: Check

I just don't see why the character doesn't get more exposure. I know Demon Knights was cancelled a few years ago unfortunately, but outside of comics I honestly believe more could be done with the character. The Justice League cartoon from the early 2000's really made me fascinated with the character & I believe the character could most definitely become more popular if given the proper exposure in other mediums.

*I also believe there should be some Bisley Lobo & the Demon team-ups as well. Both character's are DC's resident anti-heros and many team-up stories could be told with both characters either in comic or animation (not sure about live action though )

*I also believe Alan Grant's run on the character should be collected dammit!!

BANNED

Ennis' collection is getting a tpb and Etrigan appears here and there in comics pretty actively, he's been in Stormwatch, Justice League International, Multiversity, Swamp Thing, etc.

Astonishing Member

I dig him, and the whole milieu. My favorites were the original Kirby stuff, Alan Moore's use of the character in Swamp Thing, the Wagner mini series, and Morrison/Irving's SS: Klarion mini (not strictly the Demon, but you get me). Of the recent stuff, I've most enjoyed Soule's brief use of him in Swamp Thing.

Ennis' run had some nice bits, too, but could never get into the slapstick absurdist take.

Astonishing Member

Totally DESPISE him. Mainly because he rhymes. And I think he's overexposed. Writers wanting to show them can rhyme (not all of them can) and throwing him in there whenever they need a representative from hell whose not truly evil.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE!!!!

Astonishing Member

OH, another of my favorites was the Simonson/Stelfreeze WEDNESDAY COMICS run that paired him with CATWOMAN.

Gorgeous, brilliant, clever, fun.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Gotta say I'm not a fan of Etrigan. I don't really mind him but tend to avoid anything he's in outside of Morrison or when Jeff Parker used him most recently.

He's okay in small doses. Couldn't stand DEMON KNIGHTS though.

Etrigan has always been one of my favorite characters. I even have a tattoo from Kirby's issue #1.

I think problems arise with the character when he gets stuck as a straight up villain who only does good against his will. I wish they would stick to Kirby's original concept. Yes he's a demon but he should be a "chaotic good" hero who hunts other demons and monsters.
    Then writers go way overboard with the rhyming. I really dislike how Alan Moore made him rhyme everything he says. It's really hurt the character. He should only rhyme when he's transforming, casting a spell, or maybe when he's finishing off an opponent.

Until these issues change he's always going to be a fringe character who can only be used sparingly.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I just wrote about Kirby's series and how it fed Morrison's Seven Soldiers years later, a few weeks back, for the Cube. Kirby's series was packed hard with beautiful material, great ideas and fantastic characterizations. Aggressively mystical in a way a lot of 70s head comics were almost afraid to get.
    non-Kirby takes go, I find Alan Grant's Batman/Demon farce just as silly and revelatory today as when it came out. And, he was pretty fun in The Multiversity, for a few short pages. I'd love to see Frazier Irving on a mini or a oneshot sometime.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

I wouldn't agree that you could tell normal superhero type stories with him, not without removing/altering a sizerble chunk of him.

Regarding the other parts, those I agree with, but I also think thats why he doesn't have a huge audience. He's fine as a niche character, but he doesn't have mainstream appeal... possibly due to him being a demon and that he tends to leave his enemies in little pieces once he's done.

Amazing Member

Etrigan should be played by a rapper in the movie because there's a person who can actually rhyme.

Incredible Member

I'm going to get slammed for this. But here goes.

Not everything Jack Kirby did was pure gold. The man produced his share of bad material. Like any other legendary creator.

I am a Kirby fan. But I can objectively and fairly say: That there are creations of Kirby that I actively dislike and believe are terrible.

Invincible Member

Even though I haven't read the solo titles, I like the concept of the character

Although it's not the point of the thread i thought I'd throw out there that I like the idea of the Black Racer too

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Totally DESPISE him. Mainly because he rhymes. And I think he's overexposed. Writers wanting to show them can rhyme (not all of them can) and throwing him in there whenever they need a representative from hell whose not truly evil.

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE!!!!
    The rhyming is a modern thing. When Kirby wrote him, he didn't talk all in rhyme. A couple of couplets maybe, but that's it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin Kelley View Post
    I'm going to get slammed for this. But here goes.

Not everything Jack Kirby did was pure gold. The man produced his share of bad material. Like any other legendary creator.

I am a Kirby fan. But I can objectively and fairly say: That there are creations of Kirby that I actively dislike and believe are terrible.

I agree with the pure gold statement. People on here tend to exaggerate when it comes to his work. I'm a big fan but even I can admit when isn't his best work. The Demon goes into that category for me. Garth Ennis on The Demon is superior.
    Last edited by Starchild; 11-01-2015 at 05:37 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I agree with the pure gold statement. People on here tend to exaggerate when it comes to his work. I'm a big fan but even I can admit when isn't his best work. The Demon goes into that category for me.
    The Demon and The New Gods are there for me.

I believe The New Gods are woefully overexposed.