Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Midnighter, #6

Super Moderator

Default Midnighter, #6

Midnighter's always lived his life believing nothing could ever hurt him-but that was before he let someone he cared about into his world! When a mysterious enemy targets the family of the man he loves, all bets are off...

Full article here.

While I have been enjoying Midnighter, his new boyfriend doesn't have enough character development for me to care about him at all. Hell, I can't even remember his name issue to issue.

Action wise, this looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    While I have been enjoying Midnighter, his new boyfriend doesn't have enough character development for me to care about him at all. Hell, I can't even remember his name issue to issue.

Same here. I can't even remember his name now in fact, but I think the more the series goes on, the more character development he will get. Or we can hope at least. Even if he doesn't, I'm loving this series too much to let that bother me. Even the fill-in artists are great. Plus, Midnighter is a joy to read (even if he does awful things).
    XMenGold XMenBlue GenX Cable Iceman AstonishingXMen UncannyAvengers SpectacularSpiderMan SecretWarriors DoctorStrange
    TheFlash Nightwing Supersons TeenTitans Aquaman Deathstroke WildStorm Saga Wicked+Divine Low Descender KillorbeKilled SeventoEternity

Spectacular Member

This series has been great. Probably the best of the recent launches.

Spectacular Member

ACO really makes the book distinguished from other stuff.

All-New Member

With a little over 14k in sales in September, whats the o/u?

Quote Originally Posted by Conquistador18 View Post
    With a little over 14k in sales in September, whats the o/u?
    i think they'll give it 12. Midnighter is currently DC's only LGBT character staring in his own book. plus this comic is a critical hit. hopefully that's enough for DC to let it go 12 issues.

Astonishing Member

The boyfriend is so perfect with so little struggle that I'll be mildly upset if they don't reveal that he's the one who stole the God Garden tech the entire time.

I, too, agree that we'll get a 12 issue run out of this, and hope that DC will have enjoyed the positive publicity enough that they'll try to spin off a Stormwatch/Authority book with Orlando at the helm.

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    i think they'll give it 12. Midnighter is currently DC's only LGBT character staring in his own book. plus this comic is a critical hit. hopefully that's enough for DC to let it go 12 issues.
    Catwoman, Harley are also lgbt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeathFalcon182 View Post
    Catwoman, Harley are also lgbt.
    They are, but in a way that you could read a dozen issues and never notice.

Midnighter is their only book which is brazenly LGBT, in that it's front and centre in the character and his relationships with almost the entire cast - and has been executed in a widely praised way.

Now, also, the book isn't selling. In floppy form, at least. But if Omega Men can get a reprieve, then Midnighter certainly will - cutting this series short will only be bad publicity.

Which is lucky for me, 'cause I'm enjoying it hugely.

BANNED

I'm glad that I can finally get back into Midnighter, now that the Grayson crap is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post

For me at least the boyfriend having so little character development is a good thing. It feels like they are making a point about how Midnighter is trying to move on way to quickly. The boyfriends lack of character points to how it could be anyone in his shoes, its a rebound relationship that Midnighter is probably trying to make a little more serious than is strictly healthy.

That's my take at least.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    For me at least the boyfriend having so little character development is a good thing. It feels like they are making a point about how Midnighter is trying to move on way to quickly. The boyfriends lack of character points to how it could be anyone in his shoes, its a rebound relationship that Midnighter is probably trying to make a little more serious than is strictly healthy.

That's my take at least.
    I guess I could buy that, but I'm with Deniz Camp in that I hope that he is the secret bad guy, because otherwise he is off-putting. So far it's all other people talking about his amazing independent personality (he jogs! he's a great guy! he dances by himself!) so that we will be forced to care when bad things happen to him to increase the dramatic stakes. Yeah, I know, there's limited time and space to tell a story, etc., but he's such a cipher at the moment that it's hard to root for him or Midnighter's relationship with him...

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    The boyfriend is so perfect with so little struggle that I'll be mildly upset if they don't reveal that he's the one who stole the God Garden tech the entire time.

I, too, agree that we'll get a 12 issue run out of this, and hope that DC will have enjoyed the positive publicity enough that they'll try to spin off a Stormwatch/Authority book with Orlando at the helm.
    I also think the guy has to be somehow evil, not the big bad though.

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    They are, but in a way that you could read a dozen issues and never notice.

Midnighter is their only book which is brazenly LGBT, in that it's front and centre in the character and his relationships with almost the entire cast - and has been executed in a widely praised way.

Now, also, the book isn't selling. In floppy form, at least. But if Omega Men can get a reprieve, then Midnighter certainly will - cutting this series short will only be bad publicity.

Which is lucky for me, 'cause I'm enjoying it hugely.
    Current run of Catwoman deals heavily with her relationship. You can notice it but I get what you mean. Midnighter is extremely in your face with his sexuality and II love it. It also helps that writer of the series is bi.