Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Daredevil #1

He's back in black and back on his home turf this December. Today, Marvel is pleased to present to you a look inside DAREDEVIL #1 - the blockbuster new series from writer Charles Soule (Death of Wolverine, Uncanny Inhumans) and artist Ron Garney (Captain America, Wolverine)! It's a new beginning for Matt Murdock in the all-different Marvel Universe. Back in New York City and practicing law in the District Attorney's office for the first time - Matt's day job and night job finally align. Fighting crime in the shadows, prosecuting bad guys in the light...it's a whole new world for the Man Without Fear. Including the arrival of a new hero he's taken under his wing. Who is this new hero and where did he come from? Welcome to Hell, Blindspot. Hope you survive the experience! Be there as the Man Without Fear charges headlong into the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe in DAREDEVIL #1!

Full preview here.

Really loving the new costume! And the art looks great. Definitely picking this up.

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

Gorgeous artwork; very much looking forward to this

Who drew the cover of DD in his armor?* The face looks horrible and they didn't even seem to understand the design on the torso.

Other than that, I'm digging the new look. (although the new chest symbol seems pointless) Definitely looking forward to picking this up!

[*edit: Oh, looking at the list of cover credits, I'm guessing it's Stroman...?]
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 11-02-2015 at 08:32 AM.

Is Garney coloring himself, here? It looks pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Who drew the cover of DD in his armor?* The face looks horrible and they didn't even seem to understand the design on the torso.

[*edit: Oh, looking at the list of cover credits, I'm guessing it's Stroman...?]
    Yeah, that's Stroman. I guess there's a '90s throwback variant series going on, right now? I haven't paid very close attention to the solicitations, lately, so I may have missed it.

So, asking as someone who reads DC and just checked this out because of the Netflix series -- can someone explain how this series has Matt Murdock as Daredevil when his identity has been exposed multiple times? Is the Secret Wars series rebooting continuity for DD?

(Not trolling, just actually asking.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post
    So, asking as someone who reads DC and just checked this out because of the Netflix series -- can someone explain how this series has Matt Murdock as Daredevil when his identity has been exposed multiple times? Is the Secret Wars series rebooting continuity for DD?

I don't think they've answered that yet. Every interview I see says "read the series" or something like that.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Astonishing Member

Looking forward to seeing Blindspot's role and evolving story in all this.

It's interesting to note that he actively sought out a hero as a mentor for himself, so that he wouldn't have to jump in 100% blind (no pun intended), and essentially stumbled onto Daredevil by accident (one wonders where he got those hero files from...). I feel it's interesting since, after all, most of the "iconic", old-timey heroes generally didn't seek out others for mentors (largely because these potential mentors didn't exist because they weren't created yet, and so weren't "readily available"). They made the decision to become heroes themselves and gained (most of) their experiences on their own. In the worst and most cynical of cases, it can even become a mini "double standard" of sorts when it comes to any new heroes that are introduced.

I imagine that the first issue isn't going to pick up exactly where their Point Zero preview left off, as most, if not all, of the others don't/didn't. This means that we might begin the story partially "all ready in progress", with Daredevil and Blindspot already having at least the bare-bones basics of a relationship going on.

If so, I wonder how many people are going to complain about that? :/

Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post

Soule has said he will address this in the series, but not immediately. There is an 8 month gap in-universe between SW and the new lot of books, and his identity has been put back in the bottle during that time. No continuity is being rebooted during Secret Wars.

BANNED

Wonder what the deal is with the floating mask.

That's Blindspot (the sidekick), he has invisibility tech in his suit.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Wow the art is nice but not what I was hoping for. This went from buy-it-the-week-it-comes-out to wait-for-it-to-be-released-on-Unlimited. Sad.

BANNED

It looks like Soule will be bringing Matt back to his roots. I couldn't deal with the Waid stuff.

Man, what a preview! I noticed a floating mask which seems like a really neat concept. The illustrations are nice. I wonder if the mask is magical or technologically advanced. I haven't really gotten into the Netflix TV show "Daredevil" yet because I don't like that it's actually pretty boring. I'm mostly a DC Comics guy because I grew up watching the Christopher Reeves "Superman" movies with my parents and Adam West "Batman" with my dad long with Cartoon Network's Teen Titans and JLA Unlimited. However, now, as a 26 year old college student, I watched "Captain American The First Avenger", "X-Men: First Class" and "Thor" on FX with my friends and family this past summer and as such I've been buying a few Marvel NOW Comics here and there; mostly, Inhumans, Thor (it's a freaking cool girl with Mjolnir) and Brian Wood's female team X-Men which are all pretty awesome reads.

I might give the Netflix Daredevil show another chance. I hope it's get's cool like "Arrow" on the CW. That show is solid entertainment with a nice bridge between comedy and dark tonalities which is the kind of balance I hope Daredevil can get.

Thrashing Like a Maniac! Gotham Thrasher's Avatar

Wow...looks like the old Charles Soule is back! And looks like Ron Garney out did himself here! Looks like he was going for mix of JR Jr and Frank Miler look! Looks like I just found my fave new Marvel series!
    And then there were none...

Custom Binding Thread: http://community.comicbookresources....0645aadbab2369

The All Purpose Metal Thread : http://community.comicbookresources....5299bbaefeffe8