Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Azzarello, Kubert and Janson Want to Provoke Readers with "Dark Knight III"

Co-writer Brian Azzarello and artists Andy Kubert & Klaus Janson discuss Frank Miller's art, "Dark Knight's" legacy and embracing controversy.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

Azzarello: When they were screaming about this earlier in the week I'm like, "Yes!" Seriously, it was like, good. We're getting -- we're provoking them.
    Pretty much sums up the last decade of the comic book industry.
    TeekVids <-- Check out the news every Sunday

I wonder if people that look like me and my Muslim family will finally get the punishment we deserve. Talk about provocative!

Well, whatever.

I mean after the first Dark Knight sequel, which was mediocre at best, and that piece of shit Holy Terror - arguably one of the biggest turds ever crapped out from the comic book industry (yes I know it's not Batman - DC wasn't that dumb) - the bar has been set so low, that this series might be readable.

Maybe. I don't know.

We'll see. I suspect there's a lot of BSing going on to get folks talking and to sell books.

Mr Azzarello and Mr Kubert behaved rather miserable, sitting there arms crossed, giving snappy remarks. If they don't like being involved in such a project, and the consequences like interviews, media coverage in general, they shouldn't have taken it.
    Not everybody is a media expert, but at least you can act decent and polite to the interviewer.
    Watching this made me not wanting to read their project at all.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    Mr Azzarello and Mr Kubert behaved rather miserable, sitting there arms crossed, giving snappy remarks. If they don't like being involved in such a project, and the consequences like interviews, media coverage in general, they shouldn't have taken it.
    Not everybody is a media expert, but at least you can act decent and polite to the interviewer.

I don't know about Kubert, but this is typical behavior for Azzarello. Just one of the many reason I will most likely never buy a book he's involved in.

So they want to "provoke" readers? I think that's the last thing DC needs after how sour consumers are after the New 52 and DC You. I personally like a lot of what the New 52 brought us but many of my friends have abandoned DC all together because of the "provocation" the initiative did. This latest round will most likely not help matters.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

When has a Frank Miller (or a Brian Azzarello) comic not at least attempted to be provocative? I'd think that's a big part of the draw.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

I just hit the Like button for your comment

I just get the sense of arrogance from every interview and especially from Azzarello. They have been very defensive and seem to be really focused on getting a reaction out of people as if they were some shock jocks. I will reserve my opinion on the actual series until the book/reviews come out. I have no doubt that DC would make good money off the orders alone but I am smelling a good amount of internet backlash on the way due to how provocative they are attempting to be.

I can't recall an interview where Azz didn't come off as a grade A dickhead. The problem is that tone can often get lost in the printed word. He might actually be a good guy but I don't get that impression when reading his interviews.

I do like his work, tho, for the most part.

BANNED

Speaking in Kubert`s case, I rather he be honest and say he doesn`t follow a certain discussion about a cover instead of trying to middle in, than having his arms crossed. Could they be sitting straight and look at the camera with a smile? Sure, but I can live with that, some people prefer to let the work speak for themselves.

Others like Kubert Sr, could do both, but not everyone is a Joe Kubert.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thom1 View Post
    I wonder if people that look like me and my Muslim family will finally get the punishment we deserve. Talk about provocative!
    Miller isn't the main writer, Azzarello is. No worries.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I can't recall an interview where Azz didn't come off as a grade A dickhead. The problem is that tone can often get lost in the printed word. He might actually be a good guy but I don't get that impression when reading his interviews.

I do like his work, tho, for the most part.
    All four of are laughing together in the videos, more than one time. Three of them constantly giving each other complements. Even if they look a bit reserved/tired (perhaps since they recently went to Paris, and are still working on the book.). They all seem like "good guys" to me :P

Regardless. Cool to hear them being excited about it. I'm quite positive it'll be a great book. Azzarello writing it, great art. Carrie Kelley Dark Knight, Diana, Lara and Commissioner Yindel in the center of things.
    Last edited by borntohula; 11-03-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Someone is new to Azzarello interviews I see.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post

All four of are laughing together in the videos, more than one time. Three of them constantly giving each other complements. Even if they look a bit reserved/tired (perhaps since they recently went to Paris, and are still working on the book.). They all seem like "good guys" to me :P

Regardless. Cool to hear them being excited about it. I'm quite positive it'll be a great book. Azzarello writing it, great art. Carrie Kelley Dark Knight, Diana, Lara and Commissioner Yindel in the center of things.
    Right, I was referring to printed interviews.
    That said, I personally doubt it will be a great book. Miller hasn't written anything decent in years and Azz's attempt at Batman (Broken City) was dreadful.
    I think with the proper editing, though, it will be an above average book, which in my humble opinion, will mean at this point it will be the best monthly Batman title being published.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Right, I was referring to printed interviews.
    That said, I personally doubt it will be a great book. Miller hasn't written anything decent in years and Azz's attempt at Batman (Broken City) was dreadful.
    I think with the proper editing, though, it will be an above average book, which in my humble opinion, will mean at this point it will be the best monthly Batman title being published.
    And I thought they seemed like good guys.

About the book. Miller has said that he comes up with stuff, for Brian to write (as Brian called it, "make it work.").

Azzarello has also written more Batman than Broken city (Which I quite like). Knight of vengeance (Thomas Wayne as Batman, and a certain somebody as Joker) and Batman44 (cowritten with Snyder) are IMO classics. But then, each to one's own. Hope you enjoy TDKIII.
    Last edited by borntohula; 11-03-2015 at 03:35 PM.