Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    It's not hyperbole to me.. I don't think the people I've had the discussion with would consider it that, either... To me, if I'm having a conversation with a large number of other people that I respect intellectually and whose opinions I value, I'm not at risk of hyperbole. Hyperbole is also one of those words that people never self-apply, they only attach to the opinions of other people who they disagree with.

I never mentioned Stan's run. Maybe you mixed me up with some other posters.. I doubt even Slott would say he has/will equaled Stan. Still, you can score a LOT of points and not catch Kareem. It's not exactly an indictment to fall short of the absolute all-time best.
    if stan came back to the title he couldn't equal stan. there's a big and pretty obvious advantage in writing the definitive run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    What Kevinroc is saying (at least this is what I see it as) is that Claremont's X-Men's run is the best run in the X-Men franchise. So when you say Dan Slott's run approaches it, you're implying that it'll be better than Stan Lee's run on Spider-Man.
    Not even close. If i wanted to say that, i would have state it directly.
    I also stated my reason as of why i consider Slott's run as one of the best runs in Spidey's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Excuse me but i can't accept your explaining. Since i haven't mentioned Stan Lee in my post, i would say that you are out of line.
    Not even close. If i wanted to say that, i would have state it directly.
    I also stated my reason as of why i consider Slott's run as one of the best runs in Spidey's history.
    You're getting very defensive. It's fine to enjoy the run. But it seems like you forgot what you said

Dan's run on Spider-Man is tending to become as legendary as Claremont's X-Men!
    Some people may take that a certain way. And getting ultra defensive about that maybe isn't the best answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    What Kevinroc is saying (at least this is what I see it as) is that Claremont's X-Men's run is the best run in the X-Men franchise. So when you say Dan Slott's run approaches it, you're implying that it'll be better than Stan Lee's run on Spider-Man.
    Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    if stan came back to the title he couldn't equal stan. there's a big and pretty obvious advantage in writing the definitive run.
    This is also very true.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 11-07-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Spectacular Member

Dan's run on Spider-Man is tending to become as legendary as Claremont's X-Men!
    Well, lets not get ahead of ourselves!

There is no way that Slott should be mentioned in the same breath of the greatest Spider-Man writers let alone the greatest run in the history of comics.

Longevity should never be confused with quality...
    Last edited by Noronha; 11-07-2015 at 05:02 PM.

Astonishing Member

I don't know what Dan Slott is planing now, but I hope he won't cross the line again like with "Superior Spider-Man". I'm trying to fit all the pieces from "Secret Wars", so I still don't follow the ANAD arc completely. But I'm really wishing to say something about the new Status Quo of Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    You're getting very defensive. It's fine to enjoy the run. But it seems like you forgot what you said

Some people may take that a certain way. And getting ultra defensive about that maybe isn't the best answer.

Something like that.

This is also very true.
    It is perfectly logical to be defensive since you jumped to conclusions, using my post without having any ground from it.
    I only said that it is tending to become as legendary as Claremont's X-Men. I didn't even considered to make allusion with Stan's run on Spidey.
    It is also logical for me to assume this because there are many elements that points to that:
    You can see the first post from the previous page but for one, ever since ASM 698-700, Spider-Man is a top seller. We haven't saw Spidey nowhere near the top ten for a long time. Slott did that.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 11-07-2015 at 10:08 PM.

It is perfectly logical to be defensive since you jumped to conclusions, using my post without having any ground from it.
    I only said that it is tending to become as legendary as Claremont's X-Men. I didn't even considered to make allusion with Stan's run on Spidey.
    It is also logical for me to assume this because there are many elements that points to that:
    You can see the first post from the previous page but for one, ever since ASM 698-700, Spider-Man is a top seller. We haven't saw Spidey nowhere near the top ten for a long time. Slott did that.
    You should understand that sales are not an indicator of quality. Otherwise we would be hailing the Michael Bay Transformers films as cinematic masterpieces.

Secondly, CBR's CSBG ran a poll in 2012 asking their fans what their favorite comic run was. Claremont and Byrne's X-Men was the most popular Marvel run on that poll. Even more popular than Stan's Spider-Man (where both the Ditko and Romita eras were scored separately, but even if you combined their votes together, Claremont's X-Men still beat them).

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...s-master-list/

So, while you may have your own personal opinion, and that's all good, you should understand that your words carry a weight to them that you may not realize.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noronha View Post
    There is no way that Slott should be mentioned in the same breath of the greatest Spider-Man writers...
    Honestly. Being completely serious here.
    I LOVE that this is this poster's 3rd post in a year and a half.
    This was the one that got him off the sidelines and posting-- over everything else. :-)

It's nice to engender that level of passion.

Incredible Member

Secondly, CBR's CSBG ran a poll in 2012 asking their fans what their favorite comic run was. Claremont and Byrne's X-Men was the most popular Marvel run on that poll. Even more popular than Stan's Spider-Man (where both the Ditko and Romita eras were scored separately, but even if you combined their votes together, Claremont's X-Men still beat them).

39 votes! Over 29 votes! The people have spoken!

I'm so glad CSBG is now the metric. :-)
    'Cause that'd clearly make me the 6th best Spidey Writer of all-time! (And I can SO live with that!)
    http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...s-writers-6-4/

(See, I can be mentioned in the same breath.) :-P

C'mon. Polls like these are silly. The "population" sample is kinda small, yeah?

All that really matters is what YOU do-or-don't like. Not what's on a poll. Or a sales chart. Or whatever. End of the day, it's what each issue or run means to YOU.
    Last edited by Dan Slott; 11-08-2015 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post

'Cause that'd clearly make me the 6th best Spidey Writer of all-time! (And I can SO live with that!)

C'mon. Polls like these are silly. The "population" sample is kinda small, yeah?
    Whatever you do, do NOT show Noronha THIS poll:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...0WRITER%20POLL

KIDDING. Seriously, polls are just... well... polls.
    All that really matters is what YOU do-or-don't like. Not what's on a poll. Or a sales chart. Or whatever. End of the day, it's what each issue or run means to YOU.
    Of course internet polls are a completely unscientific way to measure such things. It was really more of an "in these parts" kind of thing.

(Maybe they should do another vote. It could be fun to see what would rank today. I'd rank your Surfer run above your Spidey run. But I'm clearly in the minority on that one.)

I think Slott will be remembered most for his out-of-the-box willingness to do new things with the character, his long-term approach to storytelling, and the length of his run on the title.

Someone might like/dislike any of the status quos (from Big Time, Superior, and the current era) but it’s hard to deny he’s managed to do a lot of new things with a character that has a 50-year history. Likewise, he has managed to hold onto the reins of Amazing each time Marvel has implemented shakeups in their line of titles, from the post-Siege Heroic Age, to Marvel Now, to the post-Secret Wars era. I’m sure there are other writers out there hungry for a shot at Amazing, so to have been on the book since 2008 is an impressive accomplishment.

Having said that, I still think his best work with the character is Spider-Man/Human Torch: I’m With Stupid—even after all these years.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post

On this part I completely agree with you 100%
    Last edited by Mauled; 11-08-2015 at 11:49 AM.

BANNED

You should understand that sales are not an indicator of quality. Otherwise we would be hailing the Michael Bay Transformers films as cinematic masterpieces.

So, while you may have your own personal opinion, and that's all good, you should understand that your words carry a weight to them that you may not realize.
    I do not have any problem with whatever Slott's run is considered good or not. I like it, you, maybe, not. I presented my reasons as of why i consider it as a very important run and you have presented yours. End of story.
    My issue was that you stuck up Stan Lee to my words when i didn't even remotely implied him.

I do not have any problem with whatever Slott's run is considered good or not. I like it, you, maybe, not. I presented my reasons as of why i consider it as a very important run and you have presented yours. End of story.
    My issue was that you stuck up Stan Lee to my words when i didn't even remotely implied him.
    You were comparing Slott's Spidey to Claremont's X-Men. In these parts, that's a discussion to be had. But it appears you don't want to actually have that discussion. The reason I brought up Stan is because Claremont's X-Men is seen by some around these parts as being the definitive Marvel run. For some people, even above Stan's Spidey. Where do you fall on that issue?

And I never actually gave my thoughts on Slott's run (other than I don't think of it as highly as you do. Hence the whole discussion thing).

BANNED

You were comparing Slott's Spidey to Claremont's X-Men. In these parts, that's a discussion to be had. But it appears you don't want to actually have that discussion. The reason I brought up Stan is because Claremont's X-Men is seen by some around these parts as being the definitive Marvel run. For some people, even above Stan's Spidey. Where do you fall on that issue?

And I never actually gave my thoughts on Slott's run (other than I don't think of it as highly as you do. Hence the whole discussion thing).
    For the sole fact that i do not place Claremont's X-Men above Stan's Spider-Man.