BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Phil Jimenez!!!

Wonder Woman Info Page

Written by Joanna Sandsmark, Art by Phil Jimenez

Art by Phil Jimenez
    https://nl.pinterest.com/pin/215328425917230055/
    https://twitter.com/Philjimeneznyc/s...21582031413254

Quote Originally Posted by sinuba View Post
    Hello, people. Dou yo know from where is this image?
    Attachment 67319

I want to use it in an article for my University, but I donīt find the source. Itīs a cover for a comic or just a fanart?
    Mind if I ask about the article you are writing? I'm a Wonder Woman researcher as well

Default Wonder Woman Appreciation

I couldn't help but notice that while theres threads celebrating villains and celebrating ships, and celebrating allies like Wonder Girl, there isn't one specifically focused on Diana herself.

So on that note, what do people like about Wonder Woman and what aspects of her or specific storylines about Wonder Woman do you celebrate and especially enjoy?

Yay, Wonder Woman!

I have always loved her. Diana is DC's superheroine #1!

I love Diana's compassion, innocence, loyalty, bravery, strength and mystic background.

How is it that Diana is able to go so strong but so many other female heroes can never get out of the shadow of their male counterparts? I mean Batgirl has but whether she is oracle or Batgirl there is still this stigma

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    How is it that Diana is able to go so strong but so many other female heroes can never get out of the shadow of their male counterparts? I mean Batgirl has but whether she is oracle or Batgirl there is still this stigma
    Diana has no male counterpart - Supergirl, Batgirl, Mera, etc., are all sub-creations of a male hero. Wonder Woman is unique and not dependent on any male character for her origin.

Personally I enjoy Wonder Woman being created with the goal of 'love and peace' with the mission to turn the world into a paradise rivaling her island home. That from the beginning her big thing was attempting to bring about social reform, working to redeem her villains with the grand goal of turning their abilities towards more productive lanes, and her championing of education.

These are aspects of Wonder Woman that no other superhero really is about.

I'd say that Barbara Gordon managed to leave Batman's mantle with her Oracle role: as Oracle she led her own team with its own title with their own foes and areas of operations, and she could appear independently in many other titles. And even when she appeared in Batman titles, she was far more independent of him than the other bats, and could work in mentoring Stephanie and Cassandra.

But I think another big reason was in visibility. As the first female superhero to gain real visibility, she became very important to DC merchandising, and her role in the public consciousness (as can be evidenced in the Superman-Wonder Woman appreciation thread) is much stronger than her sales numbers indicate. At one level, fame becomes a quality of its own, and Wonder Woman is without a doubt the most famous female superhero.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Because all other major female characters are related to iconic male Characters.
    Captain Marvel is probably the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Because all other major female characters are related to iconic male Characters.
    Captain Marvel is probably the exception.
    I disagree about Danvers, she got her powers and name from Mar-Vell who's not even a big hero.

Honestly I think the biggest non-legacy or not apart of a team ensemble hero is probably Harley Quinn even with her history so tied with the Joker as she didn't come an "anti-hero"/"hero" until she broke away from him.
    Last edited by jump; 09-04-2018 at 05:42 AM.
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    I disagree about Danvers, she got her powers and name from Mar-Vell who's not even a big hero.

Honestly I think the biggest non-legacy or not apart of a team ensemble hero is probably Harley Quinn even with her history so tied with the Joker as she didn't come an "anti-hero"/"hero" until she broke away from him.
    Not to knock Harley, but she was literally created by the Joker, so she's clearly a legacy character, but she managed to get out from under his shadow, which is great

And Mar-Vell was better known back in the late 60s/early 70s, tho' I don't think he really 'took off' until Starlin took over. The Death of Captain Marvel was Marvel's first GN (best foreshadowing of a death ever, imo), so he had a good impact, but then sadly faded into obscurity. Death'll do that to ya

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Not to knock Harley, but she was literally created by the Joker, so she's clearly a legacy character, but she managed to get out from under his shadow, which is great

And Mar-Vell was better known back in the late 60s/early 70s, tho' I don't think he really 'took off' until Starlin took over. The Death of Captain Marvel was Marvel's first GN (best foreshadowing of a death ever, imo), so he had a good impact, but then sadly faded into obscurity. Death'll do that to ya

Are you talking about The Joker's manipulation of her as a doctor or the current origin where she's now thrown into a vat of chemicals?
    Snowflakes melt in flame wars.

Quote Originally Posted by jump View Post
    Are you talking about The Joker's manipulation of her as a doctor or the current origin where she's now thrown into a vat of chemicals?
    Pretty sure both involve the Joker? Essentially, she was created to be his female partner/counterpart in the cartoons, so they added her to the comics (if I remember correctly)

I admit to not being a huge fan, but didn't he manipulate her into becoming Harley *and* wasn't he the one to toss her in the vat? Or am I confusing the SS movie origin?

Maybe not the best moment of the movie (there are many such), but definitely the most Wonder Woman moment of the movie:

ww-charlie-smile.jpg

"No Charlie, who will sing for us?"

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Maybe not the best moment of the movie (there are many such), but definitely the most Wonder Woman moment of the movie:

ww-charlie-smile.jpg

"No Charlie, who will sing for us?"
    By far one of my favorite moments in the entire movie. It's a scene that, for me, completely captures the spirit of Diana; Gal's smile and her tone are just spot on.

'Green grow the rushes, O'