Default The Lasso of Truth

I'm curious how often does the lasso's power difference from writer to writer? What stays and what goes.

Well, when she used it on Deva it backfired because Deva was able to use it to read Diana's mind.

Pre-Crisis, the lasso was forged from Aphrodite's Magic Girdle and was an extension of the Amazon's feminine influence which would charm whomever was in it and would make them submit. Those who found themselves in it couldn't lie. Basically, a lie detector, modeled after Marston's own creation. Later, Diana coated it with Amazon chemicals to allow her to change from her street clothes into her uniform while twirling it around her body.

Post Crisis, Perez established the lasso was a gift from the Amazon's patron gods forged from the god Hephaestus from the Golden Girdle of Gaea. In addition to forcing those caught in it to tell the truth, it could also change lengths, depending on the users needs and strong enough to survive a nuclear blast. Later writers like Gale Simone added to the lasso's power including the ability to project thoughts.

Here is a great article on the long-term development of the lasso: How Wonder Woman’s Lasso Lost Its Kinky Power. But it takes more of a birds-eye view.

I like it as the Magic Lasso, able to stretch to the length needed, indestructible, irresistable and a lie detector.

To be honest I rather like the Aphrodite origin. Maybe instead of her chains it could a lock of her hair and bless her and Athena