Extraordinary Member

Default Strike Force Morituri

Anyone remember this series? I think it had a great premise super humans who would die from the process that made them that way while fighting off an alien invasion.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

It was great when Peter Gillis wrote the book. Went downhill fast once he left.

Gillis is a tremendously underrated writer, in my opinion. He was slightly ahead of his time.

It was a great idea and original idea... then they blew it all to hell when they decided to end the alien war off panel via a third race of duex ex machina aliens and gave everybody cures to they wouldn't die.

Extraordinary Member

I actually liked Electric Undertow, they had the cure but they could still be killed.

I thought it was an excellent series. Looking back, I think they should have handled the ending of the war differently, but back then I thought it was okay. If Marvel decided to continue this series, I'd actually consider buying another Marvel series, which is quite rare these days.

A hidden gem of the 80s! This series actually picked up in price back in the early 2000s and was tough to get for awhile because there was talk that it was going to be come a TV show. I guess it never happened.

I just finished reading the series, myself, and am about to begin Electric Undertow. The series had a massive lull in the middle, but I think what impresses me most about the series is that, in spite of the constant rotation of main characters, nearly all of them ended up being endearing.

As for the final team of Morituri, though, anyone notice the latent sexism? The male protagonists get extensive origin stories, lots of characterization, and many opportunities to play key roles in what's going on, but the females just tag along and eventually end up marrying them. They have no identities of their own. That's been bothering me, and I hope it doesn't remain true during Electric Undertow.

I've always though this was ripe to be either a trilogy of movies or a TV show

Going off topic I wish there was an Omega The Unknown movie or TV show as well

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    I just finished reading the series, myself, and am about to begin Electric Undertow. The series had a massive lull in the middle, but I think what impresses me most about the series is that, in spite of the constant rotation of main characters, nearly all of them ended up being endearing.

As for the final team of Morituri, though, anyone notice the latent sexism? The male protagonists get extensive origin stories, lots of characterization, and many opportunities to play key roles in what's going on, but the females just tag along and eventually end up marrying them. They have no identities of their own. That's been bothering me, and I hope it doesn't remain true during Electric Undertow.
    Haven't read it in a long time but I'm not sure about that. I remember Brava being a stand out character and playing a big role during the end.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Haven't read it in a long time but I'm not sure about that. I remember Brava being a stand out character and playing a big role during the end.
    She was the second to last generation. And I agree; she was amazing.

Extraordinary Member

She was the second to last generation. And I agree; she was amazing.
    Yeah I wish they could bring that series back with the surviving members and bring her back somehow. I know they reprinted issue 1 a few years ago.

Yeah I wish they could bring that series back with the surviving members and bring her back somehow. I know they reprinted issue 1 a few years ago.

It really would make for an amazing television series. The constant possibility of unexpected deaths gives it a very Walking Dead sort of appeal.

Extraordinary Member

It really would make for an amazing television series. The constant possibility of unexpected deaths gives it a very Walking Dead sort of appeal.
    You know I liked that they knew they were going to die though, it wasn't just for shock value or something. It actually added to the story.

You know I liked that they knew they were going to die though, it wasn't just for shock value or something. It actually added to the story.
    Yes, and it occurred unpredictably, even when characters were in the middle of personal side-plots and character progression points -- just like real life.

Harold's death was the first that really floored me. I was hooked from there.