View Poll Results: Which Sub-Mariner costume do you prefer?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Classic Scaly-Skivvies

24 39.34%
  • The Updated Black and Gold Sea-Bat

30 49.18%
  • Some combination of the two

1 1.64%
  • Something totally different

9 14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default What's the best look for The Sub-Mariner?

I was recently rereading Super-Villain Team-Up, which is where we saw Namor go from the sea-bat costume that he wore briefly in the 1970s, to his more classic scaly-skivvies look.

images.jpg GIF.gif

I'm curious, what do you think is the better look for The Sub-Mariner?

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

He wore his Xmen or nude look the best.
    image.jpg

I really dig the John Romita designed "sea-bat" (never heard it referred to that way before. I dig it.) version. The green skivvies never really did it for me except in the WWII setting.

Incredible Member idisestablish's Avatar

I agree, his X-Men look was best, for sure!

I really don't know what to vote... I like them all, including the bat-sea one which had impressed me a lot as a kid...

I've recently bought the Marvel Knights The Depths, painted by Ribic. Interesting naked abyssal Namor in it. I guess it fits into the "something totally different" category...

I voted Classic, but actually like the updated X-men design too.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

I never liked the trunks-only look as a kid, much preferred the black-and-gold. However, I do think Kirby made the green trunks look work.

Namor should maintain an element of exotic sensuality along with his regality as royalty of an exotic culture. And invite the gaze of the readers that are inclined to find him attractive.
    Both the sharkskin suit and the classic briefs have their appeal, I still prefer any of these designs as his primary look from the print version of the character. Imperious Rex!
    Last edited by Thirteen; 11-04-2015 at 12:08 PM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Phoenix View Post
    He wore his Xmen or nude look the best.
    image.jpg
    Dang. How could I forget nude? Now I'm torn. : )

I'm for the green speedo. It's classic, iconic, sexy, and extremely practical for guy bred to live underwater. It also portrays aspects of Namor's personality perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Namor should maintain an element of exotic sensuality along with his regality as royalty of an exotic culture. And invite the gaze of the readers that are inclined to find him attractive.
    Both the sharkskin suit and the classic briefs have their appeal, I still prefer any of these designs as his primary look from the print version of the character. Imperious Rex!
    I agree with the bolded 100%.

And those Copiel designs are verry nice.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk Jones View Post
    I really dig the John Romita designed "sea-bat" (never heard it referred to that way before. I dig it.) version. The green skivvies never really did it for me except in the WWII setting.
    I've never heard it called 'sea bat' either, though I can see it now. I've always heard it called the black disco outfit.

There are some variations on the black costume that don't have the 'bat wings' at all, like Steve Pugh's sleek costume from All New Invaders.

And the alleged 'war armor' from Sub-Mariner Revolution.

And of course, Namor can rock a fashionable suit, when on the surface.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I voted for the classic green trunks. A character who swims needs skintight with minimal adornments.

It's comic books, so practicality isn't a main factor, but it should be somewhat believable. Too many of his looks would make swimming more difficult or wouldn't withstand the force of the water as he moved through the water.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I've never heard it called 'sea bat' either, though I can see it now. I've always heard it called the black disco outfit.
    That's my own personal bit of irreverence. I've always thought of it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    There are some variations on the black costume that don't have the 'bat wings' at all, like Steve Pugh's sleek costume from All New Invaders.

That may be the best compromise. Unencumbered and sleek, yet regal.

Phoenix Namor for the win. Failing that SPEEDO!!!!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I personally think he should be totally nude. I understand that it's a comic book, so you can't have it be so...but it makes the most sense to me.

Barring that, I voted scaley-speedos.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Black suit with Blue Trimmings, just perfect for me
    or is it White Suit with Gold Trimmings? :O
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)