Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Default Preview: Detective comics #46

"For the first time since taking on the mantle of Batman, Jim Gordon has left Gotham City. But he’s not alone! Recruited by the Justice League, Gordon taps into his detective skills to help Superman, Wonder Woman, and the World’s Greatest Heroes solve the murder of a mysterious, super-powered being."

Full preview here.
    Last edited by RobinFan4880; 11-04-2015 at 12:05 PM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

spoilers:
    I found this to be a really fun story. It was great seeing Gordon interact with the Justice League. The mystery of the monster was interesting. The ending was heartbreaking.
    end of spoilers

This was really good. And even though it's a team-up with the Justice League taking place outside of Gotham, it feels just the way a Jim Gordon detective story should. It's a murder mystery/crime story investigation. The ending managed to be both cheesy and heartwarming at the same time.

All-New Member

I nearly burst into tears at the end (I'm a new dad).

I think this was a solid and fun arc, with Tomasi doing a good job of keeping Jim in-character while having him work with the League. I'm glad to see writers getting as much mileage out of Jim being a new Batman, and his own Batman, while it lasts. And that scene at the end was all Jim Gordon .

Takara might be the only artist at DC who is able to make Flash's current costume look good, at least to my eyes. Also, like that Tomasi touched on Barry's forensic skills in this issue. Wish we could've seen him and Jim play off each other more .

It seems like Tomasi likes Cyborg quite a bit. He played a big part in Robin Rises and here he got more into the action with RoboBatman then the rest of the League did. Though it could've just been a coincidence and Tomasi wanting to pair the two machine-types together.

I'm curious to see what Tomasi will do post-Robin War, since I recall reading somewhere that he's planned out Detective into 2016...I wonder if he'll last on the book going into Bruce's return to Batman?

Quote Originally Posted by Larnievc View Post
    I nearly burst into tears at the end (I'm a new dad).

Dude, i DID burst into tears. This was an amazing little two parter, Tec' has had a few of these blockbuster 2 part stories in the last year or so. REALLY digging Takara's art and whoever is coloring it.

It's kinda funny, i went into this as skeptical but Bat Gordo + Justice League is really working out for me, heres hoping to see this team return after Robin's War or whatever it's called.

Yeah, super sad ending. Seeing Gordon in a fatherly role reminded me that he still has a son out there, and with Gordon as Batman, this would be the time to bring him back.