Default Recommendations for a noob

Hey guys, I'm really new to comics and to this forum for that matter. I was hoping you guys could recommend me some comics to read so that I can at least cut down the amount of trial and error buys I'm going to make. I just went to the comic book store and bought a couple comics at random, well 2 out of 3. I picked up Black Science, The Royal, and Futurama. Other comics the I was interested in but didn't pick up were Fatale and Uber. I hope this gives a good idea of my taste. Thanks in advance.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Well, I don't know "The Royal", or enough about Futurama to make recommendations based off of that. However, if you liked Black Science (just picked up the trade the day before yesterday, haven't started yet), Rick Remender's other pulp sci-fi title was "Fear Agent", and he's done work for Marvel on X-Force (a black-ops team performing the dirty deeds the already hated traditional X-Men can't be associated with), Captain America and Uncanny Avengers (an Avengers/X-Men team up book, with some references to the events of X-Force).

What sort of material would you be interested in? Non-superhero work--itself a broad category, to say the least? If superheroes, what kind of stuff? Street level gritty, bombastic sci-fi, retro, deconstructionist? Whatever the case, a general recommendation would be Planetary, which is both phenomenal and gives a broad overview of what makes a whole bunch of different genres work, and may give you a path to go down in regards to that.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 06-13-2014 at 05:42 AM.
    Buh-bye

Atomic Robo is a lot of fun.

Saga is a great scifi-ish action adventure comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Well, I don't know "The Royal", or enough about Futurama to make recommendations based off of that. However, if you liked Black Science (just picked up the trade the day before yesterday, haven't started yet), Rick Remender's other pulp sci-fi title was "Fear Agent", and he's done work for Marvel on X-Force (a black-ops team performing the dirty deeds the already hated traditional X-Men can't be associated with), Captain America and Uncanny Avengers (an Avengers/X-Men team up book, with some references to the events of X-Force).

What sort of material would you be interested in? Non-superhero work--itself a broad category, to say the least? If superheroes, what kind of stuff? Street level gritty, bombastic sci-fi, retro, deconstructionist? Whatever the case, a general recommendation would be Planetary, which is both phenomenal and gives a broad overview of what makes a whole bunch of different genres work, and may give you a path to go down in regards to that.
    The full name is The Royals: Masters of War by Vertigo. I definitely don't really like superheros. If "Street level gritty" is like DMZ then yes, I like that kinda stuff. What an example of deconstructionist? While I like fun stuff like Futurama and will be checking out Atomic Robo I also want to read a deep gritty and dark story.
    Last edited by Oxymoron; 06-13-2014 at 12:03 PM.

For edgy...I mean dark and gritty I'd recommend these:
    100 Bullets
    A History of Violence
    Akira
    Baltimore
    Battlefields
    The Bulletproof Coffin
    Berserk
    Criminal by Brubaker
    Elephantmen
    Enemy Ace: War in Heaven
    Fell
    Fury Max: My War Gone By
    Global Frequency
    Grandville by Talbot
    Grendel
    Grimjack by Ostrander
    Hellblazer
    Hellboy/B.P.R.D.
    Hitman by Ennis
    The Incal
    It Was the War of the Trenches
    Jonah Hex by Gray and Palmiotti
    Kabuki
    The Killer
    Like a Sniper Lining Up His Shoot
    Lone Wolf & Cub
    The Losers by Diggle
    Marshal Law
    Preacher
    Prophet by Graham
    Punisher Max by Ennis
    The Other Side by Aaron
    The Question by O'Neil
    Road to Perdition
    The Sandman
    Sandman Mystery Theatre
    Scalped
    Scene of the Crime
    Sin City
    The Sixth Gun by Bunn
    Skreemer
    Sleeper by Brubaker
    Stray Bullets
    The End of the Fucking World by Forsman
    Torpedo
    Transmetropolitan
    Unknown Soldier by Ennis
    Unknown Soldier by Dysart
    Vagabond
    Vinland Saga
    War Stories by Ennis
    West Coast Blues
    Wildcats by Casey
    Yossel by Kubert
    Young Liars
    Last edited by Billy Batson; 06-13-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    BB

Wow, that's a lot. Thanks. Hitman, Transmetropolitan, Elephantmen, Skreemer specifically interest me.

BANNED

Try to track down Black Heart Billy.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Heart-Bi.../dp/1932051023