Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Sozin's comet didn't seem to really help the even more powerful Ozai when facing down an Avatar who was mostly using Air and Earth, IIRC.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Sozin's comet didn't seem to really help the even more powerful Ozai when facing down an Avatar who was mostly using Air and Earth, IIRC.
    To be fair that avatar mode was way more impressive than korra's.

BANNED

Meh well duh ATLA >>> LOK.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Wait, if Sozin's Comet is powering up Firebending, and Korra is in Avatar Mode, wouldn't she still have the firepower advantage?
    In terms of firepower, maybe not, as Azula was one of the best. But she would be able to supplement it with water/Earth/Air.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Mighty Member

it never gets properly explained-- but it seems that only people who have firebender lineage get a benefit from Sozin's comet. Korra and Aang wouldn't get any benefit from it at all--since they have no fire-benders in their family lines. Mako, on the other hand, should get a power-up from it because of his mother.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by moonknight11 View Post
    I don't know I'd say bending the spirit laser was more impressive than anything Aang did.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    I don't know I'd say bending the spirit laser was more impressive than anything Aang did.
    Maybe. The Elemental Death Ball of Doom was way more impressive than every other Korra Avatar State feat though and thats the more combat applicable one. No one is gonna bust out Spirit Lasers in this match.

Mighty Member

But not more impressive than Korra's Avatar state in the season 3 finale against Zaheer. Korra was a freaking beast in that one, even at one point throwing a freaking mountain top at Zaheer.

In the finale of season 3 of Korra, Korra had become as powerful and tough as Aang.

Wait, if Sozin's Comet is powering up Firebending, and Korra is in Avatar Mode, wouldn't she still have the firepower advantage?
    Yes it would. Sozen's Comet powers up all fire benders. Korra is one. However, in this case, I believe the op meant for Azula only to get a boost by Sozen's Comet to give her a fighting chance against Korra in the Avatar State.

The basic issue here is whether Korra can re-direct Azula's lightning, which is Azula's only way of winning the match because even if she is the only one powered by Sozen's Comet, there's still no way she's defeating Avatar State Korra with fire alone. Korra is just too freaking powerful.

Now, the argument is that since Korra and Aang get access to all bending powers in the Avatar State, that Korra automatically knows Aang's learned skill of redirecting lightning. The problem with this is the basic issue of having powers and learning skills are too separate things. Just because someone knows how to fire bend, does not mean they know specialized moves in those fields.

Yes, Aang and Korra did use bending powers in the Avatar State, but they never demonstrated that they could do things that other benders could have done with those powers. For example, Toph could use earth bending to see the world via vibrations in the Earth and Iroh could breathe fire. When Aang entered the Avatar State, he could not do either of these things. Why? Because these are learned skills, not powers.

The same thing is true for re-directing lightning. This is a skill that needs to be taught. This is the main reason I believe Korra cannot re-direct lightning. She's never been taught this.

Yes, Korra did energy bend in the Avatar State. This is a bending power granted to the Avatar by the lion tortoise, not a skill. It's not the same thing as re-directing lightning. Azula does have a slim chance at victory here. It's small because Republic City provides tons of cover for Korra and Avatar State Korra can hit Azula with massive AoE attacks that even Azula cannot dodge. Azula has to hit Korra before she makes it to cover or she's toast. It won't happen often. Korra actually does know how to "DOOOOOODGE!"

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Eh, as 99% of all bending is learned skills and the Avatar State is explicitly drawing on the skills and powers of the previous Avatars (but not all benders), there's really no logical reason that Korra shouldn't be able to draw on Aang's skills in that state, even if she can't pull out Iroh or Toph's unique skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    But not more impressive than Korra's Avatar state in the season 3 finale against Zaheer. Korra was a freaking beast in that one, even at one point throwing a freaking mountain top at Zaheer.

In the finale of season 3 of Korra, Korra had become as powerful and tough as Aang.
    Aang threw around bigger rock columns with less effort. Even at her most unhinged she couldnt match Aang.

Her best feats come at 4:36 and 3:20. Id be hardpressed to call those a mountain top. They were massive boulders, but aang was throwing around similar sized boulders /without/ the avatar state.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW0uCU46PDA

At 2:16 Regular Aang moves a rock formation more massive than anything Avatar State Korra moved.

At 6:20ish Avatar State Aang casually moves two of those massive rock formations. One of them is bigger than anything Korra ever moved, and AS Aang casually moves two of them.

Avatar State Aang is on another level entirely.

Yep you're right, Korra while suffering from massive liquid metal style poison isn't on par with a non heavily liquid metal poisoned Aang.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Yep you're right, Korra while suffering from massive liquid metal style poison isn't on par with a non heavily liquid metal poisoned Aang.
    A character that's been visibly weakened was weaker than someone who isn't weakened at all ?

PFF.

That's madness.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    it never gets properly explained-- but it seems that only people who have firebender lineage get a benefit from Sozin's comet. Korra and Aang wouldn't get any benefit from it at all--since they have no fire-benders in their family lines. Mako, on the other hand, should get a power-up from it because of his mother.
    Wait, what? Aang's firebending slice wave seemed pretty evenly matched with Ozai's fire ball during Sozin's Comet.

Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Mighty Member

Her best feats come at 4:36 and 3:20. Id be hardpressed to call those a mountain top. They were massive boulders, but aang was throwing around similar sized boulders /without/ the avatar state.
    Ah, okay. It was actually Zaheer nearly getting squished against the mountain top instead of Korra nearly squishing Zaheer with a mountain top. I knew a mountain top was involved somehow.