Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default How to quantify One Punch Man in Rumbles?

Just wondering how Rumbles would handle quantifying the abilities of a character whose schtick is to one-shot everyone he fights.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Laevatein View Post
    Just wondering how Rumbles would handle quantifying the abilities of a character whose schtick is to one-shot everyone he fights.
    I'm going with board rules, which means feats. There's a lot we can extrapolate from Saitama's showings.

And while quite powerful, I'd reckon he isn't quite top-shelf stuff. i.e. he isn't as quick as say, Karas. He isn't as strong as Asura.

Definitely vulnerable to Hokuto Shin Ken and some of the more esoteric Shadow Skills, by feats or lack thereof.

Psi abilities should effect him since he doesn't have any showings against them to date(i.e. Xavier, Legion, et al.)

No resistance to transmutation, can't hit intangible objects, has to hold his breath in space and so can't fight there for prolonged periods.

He definitely isn't handling top-shelf stuff like a LHW or Ragna Blade through the chest, a Giga Slave cast at his general vicinity, insta-kill magic like ADKV, Divine powers like Ah Gou's Monochrome(which seals or limits the opponent's best attack or ability...) OR, high-end tech like being stored in a transporter buffer, Phantom Zone-dumped, time-stopped, infected with nanites or nanoprobes, shot with a Black Hole Gun, or getting either magically frozen(Elsa) OR, getting AOE-frozen(Mechagodzilla III's or the Gotengo's Absolute Zero cannon)

And then there's opponents who adapt to him. Case in point, Kazuma the Treasoner and his hax Word of Evolution. Or The Borg. Or Doomsday.

He isn't taking on beings like Q, who is for all intents and purposes what earlier humanity would call "God," but in the year 2364 is considered "just another life form, albeit an extremely powerful, and dangerous one."

And if Q is bad, then true Creators like the three Chousin(Tenchi Muyo) and Chakravartin would, literally, send him to Hell via dimension dump.
    Last edited by T51R; 11-05-2015 at 05:55 AM.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

His abilities are actually refreshingly simple.

Just superspeed brick to the max.

I mean, things we know. He's at a point in terms of strength where the kind of strength that has someone punched to the moon is nothing that really requires him to try.

Speedwise, yeesh, you have a guy who attacks like... I think it was in the region of fifty times in 0.0001 seconds or something and he got bopped by Garou and Garou was still nothing significant to Saitama.

So he's Class 100 when being serious, I'd pitch him at the hundreds of if not thousands of mach, able to take hits from his own kind of weight class without damage.

Yeah, just a really impressive superspeed brick.

BANNED

Mostly by judging the people he beats/outclasses and/or measuring the scale of his destructive output.

For example, he punched Boros so hard the shock-waves of his punch split clouds to such a degree that the reader could see it from the curvature of the planet. He wasn't punching empty air either, his fist had to first travel through an energy blast supposedly able to destroy the "planet's surface" and still have enough power left over to split the clouds the way that it did.

Edit: Which has a way of backing up Boros' claim that his attack would have destroyed the "planet's surface" after seeing the scale in which One-Punch Man's counter attack had to operate on in order to be effective.
    Last edited by Lax; 11-05-2015 at 12:25 PM.

I'm not familiar with him but it would be like anyone else.

Hulk: Regardless of character claims about his potential strength, it's what he has actually done.

Q: Regardless of alleged omnipotence, it's what he has actually done.

So, basically, actual feats.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I'm not familiar with him but it would be like anyone else.

Hulk: Regardless of character claims about his potential strength, it's what he has actually done.

Q: Regardless of alleged omnipotence, it's what he has actually done.

So, basically, actual feats.
    See, he literally has one shot everything once he gets serious. While simultaneously ignoring similar* Class 100's.

*Okay, they're similar in the sense that they're Class 100, but that's about it. The guy, not even trying, one-shots Class 100's.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

To note while we obviously only grant him the feats he's shown, Saitama hasn't gotten serious so far in the series.

Boros points out that his "Serious Series" is actually misleadingly named and that Saitama was still holding back and only pretended to go all-out in order to not hurt his pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    See, he literally has one shot everything once he gets serious. While simultaneously ignoring similar* Class 100's.

*Okay, they're similar in the sense that they're Class 100, but that's about it. The guy, not even trying, one-shots Class 100's.
    Then basically he can one-punch Class 100's and we have to go to cosmic level durability before he doesn't have feats to show he can one-punch someone.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    To note while we obviously only grant him the feats he's shown, Saitama hasn't gotten serious so far in the series.

Boros points out that his "Serious Series" is actually misleadingly named and that Saitama was still holding back and only pretended to go all-out in order to not hurt his pride.
    Yeah, the main problem isn't his feats, it's how casually he performs them all.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Mostly by judging the people he beats/outclasses and/or measuring the scale of his destructive output.

For example, he punched Boros so hard the shock-waves of his punch split clouds to such a degree that the reader could see it from the curvature of the planet. He wasn't punching empty air either, his fist had to first travel through an energy blast supposedly able to destroy the "planet's surface" and still have enough power left over to split the clouds the way that it did.

Edit: Which has a way of backing up Boros' claim that his attack would have destroyed the "planet's surface" after seeing the scale in which One-Punch Man's counter attack had to operate on in order to be effective.
    Don't forget that he can jump from the moon to the Earth practically instantly (IOW, at least near light speed), sending a shockwave across half the moon, which would probably have done serious damage over an entire continent if it had been done on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    His abilities are actually refreshingly simple.

Just superspeed brick to the max.

I mean, things we know. He's at a point in terms of strength where the kind of strength that has someone punched to the moon is nothing that really requires him to try.

Speedwise, yeesh, you have a guy who attacks like... I think it was in the region of fifty times in 0.0001 seconds or something and he got bopped by Garou and Garou was still nothing significant to Saitama.

So he's Class 100 when being serious, I'd pitch him at the hundreds of if not thousands of mach, able to take hits from his own kind of weight class without damage.

Yeah, just a really impressive superspeed brick.
    Come to think of it, "superspeed brick in the Class 100 range and nothing more" is actually incredibly rare in Japanese media. I certainly can't think of one off the top of my head. All he needs is flight and he's practically a DC character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    Come to think of it, "superspeed brick in the Class 100 range and nothing more" is actually incredibly rare in Japanese media. I certainly can't think of one off the top of my head. All he needs is flight and he's practically a DC character.
    He might get that when he does another 100 sit-ups.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Twickster View Post
    the only ones i can think of, top of my head, is all-might and midoriya from boku no hero academia.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

He also had some kind of vaguely defined super senses as well, allowing him to see clearly in conditions where the other S-Class heroes are replying on their enemy's statements to make their decisions. And whatever senses it was that let him see Garou, who was clearly transforming into a monster like several other humans had done throughout the series, as leta guy in a cheap costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post

And Saitama's punch never physically made contact with Boros. The SHOCKWAVE caused by Saitama's punch was enough to split a planet surface-destroying beam, kill the guy who could pull himself together after getting punchsploded by Saitama, and then split the cloud cover far enough it could be seen from space. Also, though I know it's not really considered a valid 'feat', the author said that Saitama, when not holding back, has a punch equal to half the Big Bang that created the universe. Which I take to mean is the author's way of saying that Saitama's so strong it can't be quantified into an actual number without saying so.

As for speed, well... as Nik mentioned Saitama was not really bothered by Garou, who was fast enough to outpace a guy capable of attacking something like 50 in roughly .00001 seconds. Saitama also dodged a surprise attack from said guy and then CAUGHT his blade when he tried again. He can also move fast enough that he can create dozens of after-images through SIDE HOPPING, and the force caused by said side hops was strong enough to momentarily knock out Speed of Sound Sonic.

And for durability, we have him taking a punch strong enough to knock him to the moon without even a real scratch, being thrown vertically through a building and then being punched repeatedly until he was in a DEEP hole without a problem, and having Tatsumaki move the energy flowing through him so fast it was causing his entire body to rapidly vibrate without being bothered by it for an extended period of time.

He can also apparently see in the dark, considering he was the only person able to see that Garou was moving away from the kid he had hostage/protecting when none of the others could see him, as well as able to see people moving too fast for the human eye to perceive.

And, as stated in the manga, he's still not showing anywhere close to his REAL abilities.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis