aka "The Watchdog" 8BitRedBeard's Avatar

Default Is Modern Day Spider-Man Canon?

What modern day Spider-Man stories are considered canon?
    "With great power comes great responsibility."

What do you mean?

Everything 616.
    ASM is the main story

I suppose I should have asked if the All-New, All-Different will be considered canon or not.

All-New All-Different is canon. ANAD is nothing more than the "era's" banner name like Dark Reign, Heroic Age, NOW, etc.

BANNED

Obstensively, everything is mostly still considered canon and in-universe. But IMO, there's not much after 2007 Spider-Man that doesn't come off as a glorified "What If?", alt-universe type story that's even worth taking serious.

I should have also been more clear and said that I am strictly looking for Amazing Spider-Man.

BANNED

It's canon.

Whether or not it's referenced in a future story down the road, well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Mighty Member

I'm not sure I've ever been so confused by a question on this board, and it makes me want to ask Watchdog questions of my own.

What is your definition of "cannon"?
    Why is it important?
    Why would current Amazing Spider-Man stories not "count" as much as any others?
    Are there previous Amazing Spider-Man stories that aren't "cannon," setting a precedent? If yes, which ones?
    I write about the intersection of science, comics and culture. Check it out!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Watchdog View Post
    I should have also been more clear and said that I am strictly looking for Amazing Spider-Man.
    Everything we have seen so far from Slott builds on stuff he did before secret wars so yeah.
    I think even those who think everything post omd is not canon with what came before, which I dont agreee with but that is not the point, will say that the new series is completely connected with what came directly before.
    Last edited by Bor; 11-05-2015 at 10:02 AM.

BANNED

I think what Watchdog is asking is what, if any, stories that are fairly recent (Modern is a bit vague) in Amazing Spiderman have resulted in events or actions that will be still be felt in the series years down the road. Obviously events in #121-122 are still relevant in ASM even though they happened over 40 years ago. You would have known that the day you picked them up and read them off the newsstand. He's asking if anything like that has occurred in the recent run.

At least that's what I think he's asking.

The canon is whatever Marvel says it is. And right now, Marvel says yes, the current run of Amazing is canon.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    I think what Watchdog is asking is what, if any, stories that are fairly recent (Modern is a bit vague) in Amazing Spiderman have resulted in events or actions that will be still be felt in the series years down the road. Obviously events in #121-122 are still relevant in ASM even though they happened over 40 years ago. You would have known that the day you picked them up and read them off the newsstand. He's asking if anything like that has occurred in the recent run.

At least that's what I think he's asking.
    This is what I was asking for.

It's all canon (616), which I think is unfortunate in certain cases lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

This is what I was asking for.
    I think the confusion happened because you used the word as many scholars and theorists do where canon is "The important stories/tales and accepted as such" and more often then not what comic fans then to do is that canon refers to all stories that has happened. If I´m not mistaking you are asking what the "Bible" is and other posters refer to all gospels including those that where not choosen to be part of what we today consider the "bible" as part of canon. But I could be mistaking.

In the context of Spider-Man comics, the question about what's canon is usually about what's in continuity.

I think much of the current comics will be seen as important.

Slott's pretty open about the way he's telling a larger story. If he can finish that, it'll be one of the great accomplishments in superhero comics.

Superior Spider-Man was a critical and commercial hit, and likely to redefine one of Spider-Man's greatest enemies. It has a good chance of being turned into a film, since it'll be fun to see whoever plays Peter Parker playing Spider-Ock.

I’d make the case that the most significant trend of the Spider-Man comics in the last five years has been the incorporation of alternate universes into the mythos (Spider-Men, Spider-Verse). I get the argument that this is a sci-fi trope that just doesn’t belong in a series that’s supposed to be more grounded, although with a character as well-developed as the original Peter Parker, there’s fun in having him see how things could have been a little different. I don't see that going away, with the introductions of new versions.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets