Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Paper Girls #2 discussion

#1 set it up, this week's #2 knocked it out of the park! Im hooked, Vaughn and Chiang are BOTH just KILLING IT with this idea. The style, vibe and setting are so familiar to me as an eighties baby. The scene with Mac's step mother was absolutely brutal. Cannot wait to see how this book plays out, ive had that BKV itch since i read Private Eye not too long ago..

Incredible Member

I really did not like issue 1 very much...just didn't seem like my kind of story. But since I had already ordered issue 2, I decided to give it another issue. Sure glad I did because I thought issue 2 was phenomenal!

They might be laying on the eighties references a little heavy in #2; Peggy Sue got Married, the early Macintosh, Star Trek IV, Siskel & Ebert etc. Sometimes it seems forced to remind everyone of the time period. Remender sometimes did that in Deadly Class but the 80s references in We Can Never Go Home were subtle and natural. That said, the characters are very engaging and I'm looking forward to reading more of Mackenzie's backstory.

Amazing Member

This seems most similar to Monster Squad and Super 8 to me. Solid first two issues with cool covers and art.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

This is great! Reminds me of movies like "The Goonies" which is never a bad thing. Brian K. Vaughan killing it once again. Chaing's art is alway phenomenal.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 11-06-2015 at 08:30 AM.

Liked issue 1 already - did not want to pick it up initially but this book was recommended by my local store, so I said "what the heck" - glad I did. Issue 2 was amazingly entertaining! Need to remember to thank the guy tomorow again :-)

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I really did not like issue 1 very much...just didn't seem like my kind of story. But since I had already ordered issue 2, I decided to give it another issue. Sure glad I did because I thought issue 2 was phenomenal!
    I'm just curious what the difference between 1 and 2 was for you? I thought both were great so I'm interested to hear why you liked one and not the other.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I'm just curious what the difference between 1 and 2 was for you? I thought both were great so I'm interested to hear why you liked one and not the other.
    That is a great question, and one I don't really have a good answer for. It may just be that I was not in the right frame of mind for reading issue 1. I don't necessarily have a lot of nostalgia for the 80s, so it didn't seem like my kind of book. I intend to go back and read issues 1 and 2 before reading issue 3. I am sure I will like issue 1 this time around.

Amazing Member

I also loved the second issue while not really enjoying the first.

I preferred the first issue to the second. The reason? I like character studies. For me you could ditch the weirdness and just make this a coming of age story about these girls lives and I'd be happy with that. While there were good character moments in the 2nd issue, I find I'm just not all that interested with the end of the world stuff. So I guess I'm a bit different from most, who like the action and monsters etc, while I'm more drawn to character interactions.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

I liked issue 1 more because it had better dialogue. It's hard to top calling someone a "faggot AIDS victim" in your #1. I love when BKV breaks the norm of what is PC to say, even if it is just to remind us how shocking it is to see those things said. Like in the last Saga when Alana called her enemies kid a "retard" and when he tried to tell her that wasn't PC, she yelled "**** your dead kid!"

So has anyone answered and mailed in the questionnaire?

I don't have it in front of me in order to post the full list of questions, but I was thinking of what I was doing in 1988?

Favorite Movie? Probably Accidental Tourist, with a nod to Dangerous Liaison's and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. (My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies were released in Japan, but of course I didn't get to see them then)

Favorite TV show: The Wonder Years just started, and I loved that. I was also watching Cheers and Saint Elsewhere (which was in its last season)

Favorite Comics in 88? That's tough, The Tick made its debut, and that was a riot. What else was I reading, Sandman just began. Iron Man was my favorite Marvel Hero so I was reading that for sure.

Edit -

Music, albums? The Pixies Surfer Rosa, The Traveling Wilbury's Vol 1
    Last edited by Doughy Man!; 11-12-2015 at 04:51 AM.
    “That’s right, I’m Doughy Man! Butter is my ally, steak does my bidding! Sour cream bows down before me in total abject terror!”

Quote Originally Posted by Doughy Man! View Post
    So has anyone answered and mailed in the questionnaire?

I don't have it in front of me in order to post the full list of questions, but I was thinking of what I was doing in 1988?

Favorite Movie? Probably Accidental Tourist, with a nod to Dangerous Liaison's and Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. (My Neighbor Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies were released in Japan, but of course I didn't get to see them then)

Favorite TV show: The Wonder Years just started, and I loved that. I was also watching Cheers and Saint Elsewhere (which was in its last season)

Favorite Comics in 88? That's tough, The Tick made its debut, and that was a riot. What else was I reading, Sandman just began. Iron Man was my favorite Marvel Hero so I was reading that for sure.

Edit -

Music, albums? The Pixies Surfer Rosa, The Traveling Wilbury's Vol 1
    88 was a little before my time. I turned 7 that year.

Favorite movie - Die Hard

Favorite TV show - Night Court

That's about all I have.

I'll start off by saying that I really enjoyed the first issue. But – given they way that the story dramatically escalates in issue #2 – I can see how some would enjoy the second issue much more. As a personal preference, I tend to give first issues a little more wiggle room when analyzing them. The reason being that I prefer for an arc to start decently and then finish strong; rather than put all the "wow" moments up front and then lose the intensity at the end. Based on what I've read so far, it looks like Paper Girls is taking that type of approach – which I like.

But the ending in issue #2 was a definite attention grabber. Hopefully issue #3 will keep on delivering.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Finally got hold of this issue and it was worth the wait. 1 really intrigued me but 2 cranked things up if it keeps going like this it'll be up there with my favourites.
    Monthly: Batwoman, Black Hammer, Black Magick, Detective Comics, Injection, Extremity, Heathen, Lazarus, Monstress, The Old Guard.
    Mini Series: Abbott, Return to Whisper, Songs for the Dead.
    TPB/HC: Animosity, East of West, Invincible, Seven to Eternity, Southern Cross, The Woods.