Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

If you people are surprised that CBR reviews are too kind to the big books of the big 2, you haven't been paying attention. They always have been this way.

Such a wonderful, satisfying ending to one of my favourite X-runs. Iceman is gay, Beast is shamed and gone; the whole issue was played out brilliantly and that moment at the Washington monument was truly beautiful. I adored it, one of my favourite X-scenes ever. Right up there with "Cyclops was Right".
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Gotta love how all the people ripping apart the reviewer for his review all hate the Bendis run anyway, so the review score wouldn't matter to them unless it ripped it apart to "validate" their opinion on it. If you didn't like any of the run so far you obviously won't like the ending to it.
    Thats pretty much standard internet logic when it comes to critic reviews/opinions on anything: comics, games, movies and etc.

The best that can be said of issue 600 is that it wasn't dreadful. There were some snatches of Bendis' old ear for dialogue, Immonen and Pichelli are still good at drawing, the Iceman closet-exiting was a better read than I was expecting. On the other hand, Anka is still a very poor artist and Asrar is mediocre on a good day, some of the dialogue was modern day Bendis ear-chewingly bad and pretty much nothing was given any closure.

Compared to earlier Bendis issues, it was quite good. Compared to Chris Claremont and John Byrne or Fabian Nicieza and Andy Kubert, it was pure trash.

Bendis run ended good. Everything else was very bad.

I thought it was okay at best.

The Beast thing needed to be fleshed out better. I mean, the "trial" lasted, what? 10 minutes before he peaced out? I did like the Iceman stuff andThe Rasputin stuff was okay, but I feel both of those scenes would've played out better in the issues they started in, leaving more space for a better resolution. The ending could've been beautiful but I felt the run didn't earn that moment. Over all, goodish issue, but kinda meh Closing Chapter.

All-New Member

what was the 'multiversal incursion' the review kept mentioning, that it kept saying made the story all but redundant?

Spectacular Member Jesse_Custer's Avatar

I facepalmed at the Iceman/Young Iceman pages. Bendis really tried hard to sell that crap.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

I was having problems with his writing style;

-Using full names (I know its to present the character to the reader, but c'mon...)
    -Everyone calling Beast "Henry" instead of his usual "Hank", not huge, but everyone? It shows his inability to write characters with their own unique voice and outlook. Everyone functioned as his avatar or mouthpiece.
    -Everyone finishing each others sentences like they were part of a Gestalt or hive mind
    -What's his (Bendis') beef with using contractions? Everyone doesnt talk like Storm or Data from Star Trek TNG.
    -The melodrama over what Beast "did". Which to be honest wasnt in need of an public intervention.
    -The Iceman outing was a bit... clumsy. I dont see how anyone that read that could be satisfied by it. Ok, be glad he's been retconned, fine, but happy with the outcome just for the sake of the outcome? There was nothing organic about that. Just my opinion I guess.

Other than Iceman being gay and the presence of the O5, can we say Bendis' run brought anything new to the X-Men, or even left a lasting effect? Starkat, maybe (why the heck is that happening)? If we ignored those facts and pasted the end of AvX to the beginning of ANAD Marvel, would we see a big difference? What Colossus' reconciliation with Magik? That feud never made sense in the first place (though wasn't without it's "ouch" factor) to me. Magik's motivation behind letting Colossus suffer under the Juggernaut influence was petty and not very logical, even from a anti-hero prospective, but thats neither here nor there, muchless any doing of Bendis. The run was overall sub-par, and hopefully forgettable.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 11-10-2015 at 03:48 PM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Pixie front and center for Scott's oratory.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I thought it was okay at best.

The Beast thing needed to be fleshed out better. I mean, the "trial" lasted, what? 10 minutes before he peaced out? I did like the Iceman stuff andThe Rasputin stuff was okay, but I feel both of those scenes would've played out better in the issues they started in, leaving more space for a better resolution. The ending could've been beautiful but I felt the run didn't earn that moment. Over all, goodish issue, but kinda meh Closing Chapter.
    more slapdash wrapup for Bendis' dangling plots that were to simmer for another few years as per norm.