View Poll Results: How do you feel about Bill and Ted’s relationship?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE MARVEL COUPLE! PERIOD!

42 34.43%
  • One of my favourite Marvel couples

49 40.16%
  • My favourite LGBT couple

7 5.74%
  • Meh. I don’t like OR dislike them. They are okay.

16 13.11%
  • Negative Nancies Vote Here! :P

8 6.56%

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Billy & Teddy's Excellent Adventure: Wiccan & Hulkling Appreciation

In April 2005 a new superhero group debuted: the Young Avengers. Two of their founding members were Asgardian [William Kaplan] and Hulkling [Theodore Altman]. Written by Allan Heinberg, with art by Jim Cheung; Billy and Ted were soon established as one of Marvel's first openly gay couples (after Billy changed his codename to Wiccan... to avoid some unintentionally inuendos). Since then, they have become one of Marvel's most stable couples (outlasting the entire engagement, marriage AND DIVORCE of Storm and the Black Panther); appearing in Young Avengers vol. 1; the mini-series Civil War: Young Avengers and the Runaways; Secret Invasion: Young Avengers and the Runaways; Dark Reign: Young Avengers; in the EPIC Avengers: Children's Crusade; and are set to star in Kieron Gillen's brand spanking NEW on-going series: Young Avengers vol.2 (debuting in January).

In Avengers: The Children's Crusade #9, Teddy proposes to Billy, and the two share their first on-panel kiss.

WICCAN [William 'Billy' Kaplan]
    [from Wikipedia] Billy Kaplan is the eldest of three sons born to Reform Jews Jeff Kaplan (a cardiologist ) and Rebecca Kaplan (a psychologist). Regularly bullied in school, Billy found solace outside the gates of the Avengers Mansion. One day, Billy encountered the Avenger the Scarlet Witch, who told him to stand his ground the next time it happens. She then touched his head, causing a red light to flash briefly. The flash healed Billy's wounds and a few weeks later he stood up for another kid being bullied, demonstrating his powers for the first time.

HULKLING [Theodore 'Ted' Altman]
    [from Wikipedia] Little is revealed about Hulkling save for the fact he is raised by a single mother. All this changes when the shapeshifting extraterrestrial known as the Super-Skrull appears, stating that Teddy is a Skrull. The Super-Skrull reveals that, years ago, during the Kree-Skrull War, he kidnapped Captain Mar-Vell, Quicksilver, and the Scarlet Witch, presenting them to the Skrull Emperor. Though the heroes later escaped, the Emperor's daughter, Princess Anelle, conceived a child with Mar-Vell. At birth, the child was marked for death. However, his nurse smuggled him to Earth and raised him as Teddy.
    Name: Dorrek VIII [Theodore “Teddy” Altman]
    Alias: Hulking
    First Appearance: Young Avengers #1 (2005)
    Affiliations: Young Avengers (current), Secret Avengers (formerly)
    Species: Alien (Kree/Skrull)
    Citizenship: American (New York)
    Height & Weight: Variable and Variable
    Eye & Hair Color: Blue and Blond
    Unusual Features: Green Skin in Hulking Form.
    Gender Identity: Male
    Sexual Orientation: Gay
    Comic “Outing”: Young Avengers #6 (2005)
    Significant Relationships: Wiccan (fiancé), Greg Norris (crush)
    Known Relatives: Mar-Vell (father, deceased), Anelle (mother, deceased), Genis-Vell (half-brother, deceased), Phyla-Vell (half-sister, deceased), Mrs. Altman (foster-mother, deceased)
    Powers & Abilities: Shape-shifting, Super Strength, Invulnerability, Flight, Healing Factor, Subconscious Adaptation

Gillen: Hulkling and Wiccan are one of modern comics' greatest romantic couples.

I'm still on cloud 9 about them getting back together. Mostly, I'm in awe that Gillen had added this conflict and drama AND YET makes the characters both so loveable and understandable. Neither is "the bad guy" in their relationship. I mean look at this beautifully written scene:

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-01-2014 at 03:45 AM.