View Poll Results: How do you feel about Bill and Ted’s relationship?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • MY ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE MARVEL COUPLE! PERIOD!

42 34.43%
  • One of my favourite Marvel couples

49 40.16%
  • My favourite LGBT couple

7 5.74%
  • Meh. I don’t like OR dislike them. They are okay.

16 13.11%
  • Negative Nancies Vote Here! :P

8 6.56%
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

FIRST: Nobody panic. I don't have news of our boys. I just wanted to discuss them. Hear that, DoV? I'm sorry to pull at your heart strings by elevating the thread. I know what its like. I've been there. ha ha.

Jordan D White proposed the question on Twitter the other day:
    WHAT ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP IN MARVEL OR DC COMICS DO YOU THINK IS THE NUMBER ON ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP? WHATS THE BIG ONE, THE ONE THAT WILL ALWAYS BE TRUE, THE ONE FOR THE AGES?

Naturally, many fan favorites and many of them very obvious were supported via tweet such as Reed & Sue, Lois & Superman, Rogue & Gambit, etc etc.
    I proposed Billy and Teddy, of course.

It has since received 143 likes (after sifting through the nominations, my nomination would appear to have the most "like" support, which is both lovely and of course evident that Billy and Teddy are THE ONE TRUE PAIRING --haha jk)

Anyways,
    So one of the supporting tweeters propose the following:
    ANYONE ELSE THINK BILLY AND TEDDY ARE THE REED AND SUE OF MODERN COMICS? INTRODUCED AS A COUPLE AND SOLID AF SOULMATES. ALSO, ONE OF THEM SCREWS UP ALL THE TIME AND THE SANE BLOND ONE REMAINS BY THEIR SIDE (ALMOST) ALWAYS.

So, THAT is an adorable parallel being drawn between the boys and arguably THE most famous prominent Marvel couple, no?

Then that got me thinking about what a screw up Billy is and how Teddy is so stable and how their powers are peculiar reflections of these aspects of their personality. Have we discussed that before gang? How Billy is a mess and has this incredible power to control his environment and everything in it, bending it to his will, but he HIMSELF is a bit of a spaz and needing self care. Teddy on the other hand has complete PHYSICAL control over HIMSELF and remains stable and balanced. My hubs and I were mulling over the tweet about Billy being a screw up and then dove tailed into THIS topic and we found it so intriguing I had to share.

I've been reading this AMAZING book series called Super Powereds by Drew Hayes (cannot recommend highly enough for those who read non-illustrated-literature. Its superhero college and its rad AF) and one of the characters has a fascinating ability: complete and total control over his body. He's even able to regulate his emotional responses thanks to the rerouting of chemicals in the brain, and stuff like that. That got me wondering if Teddy were capable of such a feat, and perhaps even subconsciously does so, which is what keeps him fairly mellow all the time.

Miss these boys.
    (Go read Super Powereds, y'all)

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    FIRST: Nobody panic. I don't have news of our boys. I just wanted to discuss them. Hear that, DoV? I'm sorry to pull at your heart strings by elevating the thread. I know what its like. I've been there. ha ha.

Jordan D White proposed the question on Twitter the other day:
    WHAT ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP IN MARVEL OR DC COMICS DO YOU THINK IS THE NUMBER ON ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIP? WHATS THE BIG ONE, THE ONE THAT WILL ALWAYS BE TRUE, THE ONE FOR THE AGES?

Naturally, many fan favorites and many of them very obvious were supported via tweet such as Reed & Sue, Lois & Superman, Rogue & Gambit, etc etc.
    I proposed Billy and Teddy, of course.

It has since received 143 likes (after sifting through the nominations, my nomination would appear to have the most "like" support, which is both lovely and of course evident that Billy and Teddy are THE ONE TRUE PAIRING --haha jk)

Anyways,
    So one of the supporting tweeters propose the following:
    ANYONE ELSE THINK BILLY AND TEDDY ARE THE REED AND SUE OF MODERN COMICS? INTRODUCED AS A COUPLE AND SOLID AF SOULMATES. ALSO, ONE OF THEM SCREWS UP ALL THE TIME AND THE SANE BLOND ONE REMAINS BY THEIR SIDE (ALMOST) ALWAYS.

So, THAT is an adorable parallel being drawn between the boys and arguably THE most famous prominent Marvel couple, no?

Then that got me thinking about what a screw up Billy is and how Teddy is so stable and how their powers are peculiar reflections of these aspects of their personality. Have we discussed that before gang? How Billy is a mess and has this incredible power to control his environment and everything in it, bending it to his will, but he HIMSELF is a bit of a spaz and needing self care. Teddy on the other hand has complete PHYSICAL control over HIMSELF and remains stable and balanced. My hubs and I were mulling over the tweet about Billy being a screw up and then dove tailed into THIS topic and we found it so intriguing I had to share.

I've been reading this AMAZING book series called Super Powereds by Drew Hayes (cannot recommend highly enough for those who read non-illustrated-literature. Its superhero college and its rad AF) and one of the characters has a fascinating ability: complete and total control over his body. He's even able to regulate his emotional responses thanks to the rerouting of chemicals in the brain, and stuff like that. That got me wondering if Teddy were capable of such a feat, and perhaps even subconsciously does so, which is what keeps him fairly mellow all the time.

Miss these boys.
    (Go read Super Powereds, y'all)
    Well, I have previously said that Billy/Teddy are the Sue/Reed of the gay comic book community, and I stand by that. They have every potential to be one of those lasting couples, but unfortunately they just don't have enough exposure to reach an iconic status... so far. Let's hope that changes soon once the Young Avengers start to be adapted to more popular medias like cartoon and/or live-action.

As for the dynamics of their relationship, I do think it's cute that Teddy is Billy's rock, but I also crave to see Teddy getting to be a little dysfunctional as well. That's one of the things I loved about Gillen's Young Avengers; it started as your typical ''Billy is a mess and Teddy is the perfect boyfriend'' story, but then it developed into a story about how Teddy felt insecure and overwhelmed too, and how he needed some time to himself. I wish we could see Teddy having more moments like this (without the whole almost break-up thing, 'cause let's be honest, no Wiccling shipper wants to go through that sorrow again), where we get to see more of his insecurities, doubts and fears. He does a damn good job as the pretty, supportive boyfriend/fiance, but he should be more than just that. I once said at the LGBTQ thread that I felt like not exploring his possible body issues from his origin story was a missed opportunity, and I feel like maybe that is something that could be brought back now. Using his shapeshifting abilities to hide his insecurities was pretty much the starting point of Teddy Altman on Marvel Comics, but what kind of impact did that have on him overtime? Does he ever fear being seen as that terrified scrawny little kid on school again, and maybe that's why he keeps choosing to look like a Hulk, and sometimes a little buffer than usual even on his civilian form? These are all points I'd love to see explored.

Ultimate Member

There's a story just waiting to be told about Teddy and any possible guilt he feels over the Secret Invasion, which involved an attack on Earth by the race *he was supposed to be ruling,* but chose to pawn off on K'lrt, so he could stay on Earth and deal with Billy's drama instead. (Ooh, the story was almost about me! Good thing I dodged that!) Obviously Veranke (and the Skrull 'god') wouldn't have given up without a fight, and would have tried to assassinate Teddy / Dorrek and carry on, so it would be over-the-top for him to totally blame himself for the entire thing, but it's exactly the sort of drama that happens to teenaged shapeshifting alien space-princes.

But, as time passes, I suspect this story will never leave my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    Well, I have previously said that Billy/Teddy are the Sue/Reed of the gay comic book community, and I stand by that. They have every potential to be one of those lasting couples, but unfortunately they just don't have enough exposure to reach an iconic status... so far. Let's hope that changes soon once the Young Avengers start to be adapted to more popular medias like cartoon and/or live-action.

As for the dynamics of their relationship, I do think it's cute that Teddy is Billy's rock, but I also crave to see Teddy getting to be a little dysfunctional as well. That's one of the things I loved about Gillen's Young Avengers; it started as your typical ''Billy is a mess and Teddy is the perfect boyfriend'' story, but then it developed into a story about how Teddy felt insecure and overwhelmed too, and how he needed some time to himself. I wish we could see Teddy having more moments like this (without the whole almost break-up thing, 'cause let's be honest, no Wiccling shipper wants to go through that sorrow again), where we get to see more of his insecurities, doubts and fears. He does a damn good job as the pretty, supportive boyfriend/fiance, but he should be more than just that. I once said at the LGBTQ thread that I felt like not exploring his possible body issues from his origin story was a missed opportunity, and I feel like maybe that is something that could be brought back now. Using his shapeshifting abilities to hide his insecurities was pretty much the starting point of Teddy Altman on Marvel Comics, but what kind of impact did that have on him overtime? Does he ever fear being seen as that terrified scrawny little kid on school again, and maybe that's why he keeps choosing to look like a Hulk, and sometimes a little buffer than usual even on his civilian form? These are all points I'd love to see explored.
    You know, its rather interesting how much they've changed, in terms of their self confidence(?) since their origins.

Billy, recounting his past to Jessica Jones, seemed more sure of himself(?) and his identity, despite being bullied, insisting he had no problem with being different, whereas Teddy utilized his shape changing to find belonging and mask his insecurities.
    And now, Teddy has in many ways taken comfort in his differences, in his "alien" and seemingly grown content in his being "other", elevating and further evolving his powers whereas Billy's confidence -- probably largely in response to the gravity of his power level and the subsequent room for error in its execution, has sadly been plagued with doubt.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    There's a story just waiting to be told about Teddy and any possible guilt he feels over the Secret Invasion, which involved an attack on Earth by the race *he was supposed to be ruling,* but chose to pawn off on K'lrt, so he could stay on Earth and deal with Billy's drama instead. (Ooh, the story was almost about me! Good thing I dodged that!) Obviously Veranke (and the Skrull 'god') wouldn't have given up without a fight, and would have tried to assassinate Teddy / Dorrek and carry on, so it would be over-the-top for him to totally blame himself for the entire thing, but it's exactly the sort of drama that happens to teenaged shapeshifting alien space-princes.

But, as time passes, I suspect this story will never leave my head.
    Well, if Teddy had ANY power to stop the invasion at all, then I blame it on Kl'rt. He had one job, which was to be Teddy at that time, and apparently he wasn't good enough at it.

You know what else is a story waiting to be told? Teddy reuniting with Kl'rt. I still think it's bullshit how he got away with murdering Teddy's mom so easily. Not only that, but the sucker later gets crowned as the emperor of the Skrull Empire? Heeeell no. I'd love for Teddy and the Knights Of The Infinite to go knocking on those royal Skrull doors and serve some justice to his sorry ass and remind him who is the rightful heir of that freaking throne. Ugh, Marvel is such an idiot for not using Teddy more. He could have some great cosmic stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    You know, its rather interesting how much they've changed, in terms of their self confidence(?) since their origins.

Billy, recounting his past to Jessica Jones, seemed more sure of himself(?) and his identity, despite being bullied, insisting he had no problem with being different, whereas Teddy utilized his shape changing to find belonging and mask his insecurities.
    And now, Teddy has in many ways taken comfort in his differences, in his "alien" and seemingly grown content in his being "other", elevating and further evolving his powers whereas Billy's confidence -- probably largely in response to the gravity of his power level and the subsequent room for error in its execution, has sadly been plagued with doubt.
    That's an interesting analysis of their development. They truly are each other's better halves.