Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default She-Hulk (2014) #5 *Spoilers and Thoughts*

The issue opens with Jen confronting Shocker about the Blue File, but he says his brain is scrambled through use of his gear. We cut to Angie and Hei Hei in North Dakota, and for the first time get a hint of their abilities. Cut to Manhattan where Patsy is meeting with Tigra on the jungle gym. The two talk costumes and the scene really makes me interested in seeing the pair on adventures. You also really get a sense of camaraderie in the superhero community, even characters that don't show up in the same team on a regular basis. It's a nice scene...up until Tigra loses her mind when Patsy tells her the name of the plaintiff.

Cut back to Shocker's apartment where Jen is trying to make sure he doesn't kill himself with a well-placed mental shock. The question of if he remembers anything is left hanging for a few pages yet. Back in ND, Angie and Hei Hei roll up their sleeves to get elbow deep in their search for the record of the Blue File.

In Shocker's apartment, he reveals what he remembers, which doesn't turn out to be much. This was another good scene, where the two have a brief exchange about doing more with their time and abilities and come to an understanding of sorts.

Back with Patsy and Tigra, Patsy literally pulls Tigra back from the ledge and calls Jen.

Apparently there's a trigger word attached to the Blue File, and Patsy calls Jen to warn her of this. Unfortunately, she ignores the call to talk to Wyatt Wingfoot about the case who is midway in a perilous climb up a rock face. End scene.

The big difference in this issue is the artist - Ron Wimberly. His art isn't as clean and cute as Pulido's. His work is scratchier and less two-dimensional, but his storytelling is pretty solid and really excels in the scenes with Patsy and Greer.

Soule makes it hard not to like the cast, especially since he writes them as people and not just archetypes.

It's another solid issue with questions answered and more questions raised, especially, the ongoing mystery of Angie and Hei Hei.

Amazing Member

Whoa, they switched artists? From your description, it's a complete 180 from Pulido (Allred-lite). I'm not sure that sudden shift in style will be right for the book, but then again, I haven't seen it yet, so I shouldn't judge. I actually like Pulido; just wish he'd draw less creepy eyes on his characters.

I like Soule's writing. I like the story, pacing, and the overall mystery of this arc. His dialogue is nicely done. My big problem is the art. It's quite a change from having Pulido and then going to Wimberly.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
    Whoa, they switched artists? From your description, it's a complete 180 from Pulido (Allred-lite). I'm not sure that sudden shift in style will be right for the book, but then again, I haven't seen it yet, so I shouldn't judge. I actually like Pulido; just wish he'd draw less creepy eyes on his characters.
    I wouldn't say it's a complete 180, that would be hyper realistic. There's still an indie sensibility to it, but where as Pulido is pop, Wimberly is urban.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    I like Soule's writing. I like the story, pacing, and the overall mystery of this arc. His dialogue is nicely done. My big problem is the art. It's quite a change from having Pulido and then going to Wimberly.
    Yeah. It is a pretty huge stylistic jump. There are numerous artists that are more aesthetically in line with Pulido by a wide margin, but Wimberly's still a good artist.

Marvel is very weird with their artist changes sometimes.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 06-11-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodyarts View Post
    Wimberly is a guest artist. Pulido will be back.

I liked the issue, and Wimberly's art was enjoyable enough, although I do prefer the Pulido/Vicente team.

Interesting stuff with the Blue File and its trigger word, really liking the art.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Apparently there's a trigger word attached to the Blue File, and Patsy calls Jen to warn her of this. Unfortunately, she ignores the call to talk to Wyatt Wingfoot about the case who is midway in a perilous climb up a rock face. End scene.
    You could say this literally finished on a cliffhanger .

I enjoyed the bit with the shocker a lot.

The suit sisters also was pretty good. I guess Tigra forgot about seeing She Hulk in Fearless Defenders. I do like when people make fun of Tigra in the bikini.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by comicfan298 View Post
    You could say this literally finished on a cliffhanger .
    Gah! Beat me to it.

With that post-hypnotic suggestion triggering after a long duration, it makes sense Druid's involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    The suit sisters also was pretty good. I guess Tigra forgot about seeing She Hulk in Fearless Defenders. I do like when people make fun of Tigra in the bikini.
    Yeah in fact both Tigra and Patsy were there with Shulkie. Black Cat too.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I HATE, LOATHE, DESPISE, the art in this book now. I wasn't a big fan of Pulido at the beginning, but I actually grew to like his style and it fit really well with this book. This book was (possibly still is) my dark horse favorite, but I can't stand the art style now. I hope they go back to Pulido because it really was a nice fit. Soule does a fantastic job w/ the pacing, dialogue, and intrigue and brings to life She-Hulk's lawyer side very well.

Did Tigra have William with her?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Nope, she's there solo.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

I greatly missed Pulido's art but Soule's scripting carried the day here. His grasp of pacing and strong plotting is damn near uncanny. Love that last page - as others have noted, a literal cliffhanger. Just another terrific issue in what is arguably Marvel's best solo title at the moment.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I too missed Pulido, but I really want to see Wimberley's take on Nightwatch in the next issue.

Nightwatch is gonna be in the next issue, right? Right?

All-New Member

I have to say the art this issue was just JARRING. Not objectively terrible, but really a swerve of style and a bit too far-out. Kind of felt like R. Crumb crossed with some '70s animated cartoon. There were some cool panels but then there were some that were just awful, mostly the ones where he tried to play with perspective but everyone just looks like they're having an acid freakout. Strange choice. But hopefully it's only for an issue or so. Haven't had a fill-in artist quite so oddball since Igor Kordey was on Grant Morrison's X-Men run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black Goliath View Post
    I have to say the art this issue was just JARRING. Not objectively terrible, but really a swerve of style and a bit too far-out. Kind of felt like R. Crumb crossed with some '70s animated cartoon. There were some cool panels but then there were some that were just awful, mostly the ones where he tried to play with perspective but everyone just looks like they're having an acid freakout. Strange choice. But hopefully it's only for an issue or so. Haven't had a fill-in artist quite so oddball since Igor Kordey was on Grant Morrison's X-Men run.
    IIRC, it's a two issue stint and then Pulido's back for the next few issues.