Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I was hoping a guest artist would give me the opportunity to read this book properly for the first time (as opposed to just flicking through it at the comic store). But nope, Marvel just don't seem to want Jen to look remotely good at any point on this run.

Oh well... at least Elektra and Widow are still proving there's nothing actually wrong with attractive art.

Spectacular Member

Solid writing, didn't care for the art tho. Even with Pulido, I appreciate his storytelling capabilities, but I'm not a fan of his overall look either.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I was hoping a guest artist would give me the opportunity to read this book properly for the first time (as opposed to just flicking through it at the comic store). But nope, Marvel just don't seem to want Jen to look remotely good at any point on this run.

Oh well... at least Elektra and Widow are still proving there's nothing actually wrong with attractive art.
    This is my problem with the comic as well. Guess I'm still nostalgic the way She Hulk is usually drawn. The covers annoy me in the sense that they are so different from the look of the interior pages. At least I don't feel like there is a bait and switch when the same artist does the cover and the interior. I flipped through the book and didn't even recognize Wyatt Wingfoot.

Fantastic issue. The guest spots stole the show here...this was an instant classic Shocker appearance and I really liked the Tigra & Hellcat chemistry. The Blue File storyline has a lot more tension & danger than what we have seen thus far and I thought Wimberly, with his distorted camera angles, added to that. In some places I thought the art was a bit excessively stylized to the point where I had a slightly hard time following along with what I was looking at, but in general I thought it was a very unique look. I prefer Pulido (he is better for superheroes and this title's brand of comedy) but this was a very inspired choice for a fill-in.

Great issue, still remains my favorite Marvel title.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

The writing in this book is great. The art is out-there, but I honestly am starting to change my mind on this kind of art, but that is most certainly because the writing is so good. If it wasn't, and if it wasn't She-Hulk, then I wouldn't have even gave the book a chance given the art style. However, as I said, the art suits the writing. I was one of those people opposed to the art in this book. I'd urge people who are reluctant to read this book because of the art, to give the book a chance.

As with most people, I wasn't a fan of the art (though I did like how he had Tigra's tail puff up when she was fighting Hellcat). But the writing was great. This was probably the best book I've read this week (and that is including Mighty Avengers and Avengers Undercover, so that means a lot... though I haven't read Invaders or Spider-Man yet. Most of my favourite books are out in the same week), even with the weak art. I loved the stuff with the Shocker and his memory, I hope that Spencer incorporates it into Superior Foes.

Can't wait for next issue.

Quote Originally Posted by comicfan298 View Post
    You could say this literally finished on a cliffhanger .
    I instantly went looking for the 'like' button after reading this post. I guess I spend too much time on Facebook.

Mighty Member

I loved that conversation She-Hulk had with Shocker about the rating system.

Amazing Member

my absolute first thought when I saw the cover this week was "huh, batgirl and captain cold are in this one...wait..."

but anyway. missing the original artist but really enjoying the book. glad to keep buying it.
    here come the surveyors...here come all the surveyors

so, how comes people are saying they've read this, yet CBR's saying it ain't out til next week?
    I surrender to the Contest

I read it and enjoyed it
    Where the Titans of Classic Comics Speak http://classiccomics.boards.net/

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I liked the issue overall and thought it was improvement over the last few issues, with an actual story that felt very enjoyable (8 out of 10 from me).

My major problem and what hurts the book so much is the artwork by Ron Wimberly. I'm not a fan of Javier admittedly, but this a big step down from him. See this image below?

That to me sums up everything wrong with the artwork. No one looks like who they are, the boring and lifeless backgrounds, the horrible body physiques, the awkward action, the ugliness of the line work, how it doesn't feel appropriate for the book, it's so distracting that it takes me out of the comic, and so much more. It's just awful and I can't wait to back to the creepy, soul staring eyes of the previous artist.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

This is the first comic book I ever felt I should just throw away.
    Here are the ONLY three things I liked about it: the NAMES, Tigra, Hellcat, and She-Hulk.

I used to be a BIG Marvel fan, a very long-time reader (since, say 1974...). Gradually the last two decades have seen me shifting away, until now, at last, I follow only Capt. Marvel (stuck on the brand name, glad for decent art and an interesting take on a favorite character) and (when it comes out) Hawkeye. But I used to be a major follower of Tigra and the Cat, now Hellcat. Major.

But this issue is the ugliest looking comic I've ever seen, and that's despite my being (to single out just one of several) a Ted McKeever (Eddy Current, Superannuated Man, et al) follower as well as other 'out-there' stylists. And it just wasn't written well enough for me to carry me through the artwork. I understand Tigra's been retconned as to her character, and while I don't care for the 'new' Tigra, I can (heh, sort-of) accept this.

I'm glad, for the sake of the writer and artist-this-issue that some of you guys who've posted like it; but I'm also glad to read I'm not alone in my dislike-- as mentioned, the flat, generally absent backgrounds, the harsh, garish coloring, the lack of characterization for the leads--the Shocker (!) is, for me, the most fully realized here--sigh. Had hoped to find another Marvel title I could follow happily; but this aint it, this does nothing to change my distaste for what Marvel's producing these days. Sure wish it were otherwise.

I rarely if ever post 'dislike' rants like this (I mean, generally, what's the purpose?) but I guess I found myself SO disheartened by this issue, I had to say so publicly. Natcherly, disregard all the above if, as someone mentioned, this's your favorite title!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

the usual artist is better than this guy, although still an acquired taste i think. i like the writing.

not read this ish. yet.
    I surrender to the Contest

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Just not a fan of this style of artwork at all. With the preview I wasn't sure if Tigra had developed some kind of Mr. Fantastic powers or what. No one looks anything remotely like who they are supposed to be and the perspective is just atrocious. Add to the poor line work the colors. She-Hulk's skin is often colored so darkly that it is near impossible to see her facial features.

Wasn't feeling the Art at all but I'm really digging the plot and a very solid cliffhanger as well.