Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I enjoyed this issue too, as the best of the Original sin plots to come out of the event so far. We get a mystery from the past, and a face off between Luke Cage and his father, Pa, at last. Luke is shown out of his depth here, much like how Brashear made Luke feel when those two talked, so seeing Luke being treated like a naive novice is a little uncomfortable for Luke. There was an inkling of an examination by Pa over why Brashear disappeared 10 years earlier, but the interview was cut short when the case took priority. The flashback to 1972 showed the uncertainty there was about super people in the common folk, like cops and reporters, as they worked in the dank nightly streets with weird creatures showing up. Al Ewing makes 1972 feel real, and still presents the 2014 parts as current as well. Looking forward to more of this, as the aged 1972 MA crew decide to show up again. I hope Brashear makes a showing in this Deathwalker mystery.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-12-2014 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daredevil is Legend View Post
    Is it wrong that I find Luke Cage's father more interesting than him? I didn't like Land's art in this one
    I found Pa Cage a little too open, compared to the last time we saw him, when Jessica found him for Luke. But Ewing put the right amount of indignation in the old man, and the right amount of bluster in Luke to carry their meeting off. Now that Luke and his Pa have a common ground in which to relate, (The Deathwalkers), I feel they are going to see more of each in future, considering Luke knows Pa keeps tabs on the MA and Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    This one felt a little off to me. Nature of the crossover, I guess. Somehow, the big secrets just didn't feel too... sinny. I have no idea why all this had to be kept secret.
    We'll have to wait and see what the Deathwalkers mean to Pa Cage, and why Pa couldn't speak to his errant son, Luke Cage, for so long. A crossover story is going to disturb the feel of the main book, but despite that, Ewing does incorporate aspects of drama he needed to address in his series, and I thought he used it seemlessly.

Well, the surprise that Pa Cage had an interesting past as a Police officer was enjoyable. That he had dealings with super people during those days also surprises me, considering Pas reluctance to accept Luke, his sons, duty as an Avenger. Maybe because when Luke first tried to make contact, Pa saw Luke as a fugitive from the law, he so admires, but that now, with Luke being a registered law enforcement agent, Pa can accept Luke officially.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I get the feeling that quite a few here have known a real life "Pa Cage," whether it was our father, or grandfather, or the cantankerous old man up the street telling people to get off of his lawn. You don't always agree with their perspective, but whenever an opportunity presents itself to learn from them and bridge the generations, it's never a dull time. I'm looking forward to seeing Pa and also Ms. Molina and Kaluu.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    This one felt a little off to me. Nature of the crossover, I guess. Somehow, the big secrets just didn't feel too... sinny. I have no idea why all this had to be kept secret.
    Well dats kinda d point aint it, revealling d secret AND y it was such a sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    well we don't know the whole story yet...or any of it actually
    Agrd!

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    You mean Luke Cage's father in the present wasn't SUPPOSED to be Morgan Freeman? And Constance Molina wasn't SUPPOSED to be Michelle Rodriguez?

Seriously, the story was well written but Land's obvious tracing just keep taking me completely out of it. Its shameful.
    Dnt knw wat u saw & trying so hard 2 c but Luke's paps & Molina luk NOTHING lyk Freeman & Rodriguez.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    This, so much this. This book doesnt fill like so many other books. Its an old school throwback, here we have things happen, and we have a full story even though its only the first part of the story.The industry would be healthier if more writers did this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    This is something I found is even truer in Loki: Agent of Asgard. Every issue is (in essence) "stand alone"; one mission, planned, executed and concluded in one issue; YET it's all connected to a much broader overall theme. It's a great skill, making every issue accessible to new fans, while also rewarding long term fans. Kudos Al Ewing! : )
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikonic View Post
    Its amazing how this was so satisfying yet leaves me hungry for more. How is this possible?
    Same here....SAAAAAAME HEEERRRRREEE!

Y...oh...y isnt MA bi-wkly 4 gdness sake.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Well, the surprise that Pa Cage had an interesting past as a Police officer was enjoyable.
    he's had an interesting past since Ostrander's Heroes for Hire run; where he was associates with the Master (Alpha Flight villain).

Hot dang this was a good issue. This might be the most consistently good-and underrated- book Marvel has. Loved the hardboiled narration- fit the setting perfectly.

I have a feeling Marvel is gonna move Ewing on to something bigger than Mighty Avengers.The man has straight talent

Fantastic Member

Luke's dad was partnered with a Danny.

Is it now confirmed little Danielle will be life partners with a Luke?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I had a pretty good rant on that, and why I hated the Parker's Parents shite in ASM 1 and 2. The whole 'Only you could have been Spider-Man' bit that they do is absolutely toxic, imo, to some of the underpinnings of the mythos. But what can you do? Humans are tribal, and in this day and age we still have people who give a shit about patralineal heritage.

I'm reminded of the Kate Spencer Manhunter title, which was perfectly servicable on it's own, and then they went and shoehorned a 'legacy' connection to the JSA in just because. It was kinda awful and unnecessary. This stuff just cheeses me off. Writers can wind up turning these characters and their stories into incestuous soap opera dramas by feeling the need to tie all these characters and worlds together into neat bows, so instead of filling the gaps with new characters and new stories, they fill the gaps with each other and it winds up a mangled mishmash of ridiculous coincidence, like every superhero needs to have some 'secret tie' to some other superhero so it all makes 'sense'. In the end, it's just stupid. It's a big world!

I like Ewing's work, so don't mistake t his as being too hard on him, but this is something a lot of writers are guilty of and not just comic writers so when I heard 'Oh, Luke Cage's dad + Superheroes!' I went: OH COME ON. XD

Let's just call it the Darth Furying of the Marvel Universe. xD
    Blame Marvel's sliding timeline.

Blade, Blue Marvel and Kaluu can have been around in the 70's because they are ageless.

But Luke Cage CAN'T have been 27 in 1972 he's be in his 70's in 2014. So we get the "coinsidence" of Cage's Cop dad being in the 70's MA because present day Cage must remain 30ish.

And there's no point in doing a 70's Mighty Avengers story without at least a version of Cage in it.

I'm surprised Ewing was able to restrain himself from using the Orson Randall Iron Fist in the story.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    I'd love to see a story just featuring the '70s-era flashback team. There's so much great stuff going on, there.
    Luke Cage's father needs his own spin off mini series set in the '70s!

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    Blade got called Spork. Very Cool.
    That was funny as hell.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Luke Cage's father needs his own spin off mini series set in the '70s!
    you do that and you risk him illegitimately fathering Misty Knight by the second issue.

Extraordinary Member

Ewing continues to deliver the gathering of the original Might Avengers as Kalu called them came together like a detective story. This guy really knows how to put a story together and the dialogue is great! It's good were really getting to see Fathers and sons come together in this series.