Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Loved this week's issue I need to check who wrote it, way better than the previous few. The flash backs were awesome and it seems like we've actually progressed in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Superman: Lois and Clark drove the final nail in the coffin of the five-year timeline when they had Lois and Clark arrive on Prime Earth with their infant son the day before the Justice League formed. That son is now nine years old. So it's actually a nine-year timeline, not a five-year timeline.
    Five years timeline was when new52 started. After four years of publishing... we arrive at nine years timeline. So no, Lois and Clark didn't drive any nails in the coffin, they just reinforced it.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Great read. Longer flashback sequence which was great, art was fantastic and the story is really shaping up interestingly!
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

The same-face was really bad here. I'm guessing that was Dick at the end bringing in Harper and Cass, but it's difficult to tell, because his shirt was colored properly, and Daniels draws both Jason and Dick with the same haircut.

I really liked this issue. Turns out I love Bruce as Batman and Dick as Robin even more than I realized. And I'm really liking the conflict between Bruce and Dick, they really just care about each a little too much. Bruce thinks he's actually manipulating Dick's life, and feels guilty. Dick thinks he's just not good enough. Bruce gets upset at the idea of this "Mother," someone who would create someone like Bruce in Crime Alley all those years ago, but shapes them into whatever Mother wants them to be.

Also, Dick going back for Cass and Harper... that's apparently not what Bruce did. Dick wanted the two to be safe in Gotham while Dick went ahead and found out what was going on. But Bruce literally called Dick down to the Batcave and told him to pack up so that they could go on a dangerous adventure to Prague... Isn't that exactly what Dick is doing now? The opposite of what Bruce did would be to do what Dick wanted to do originally...

Yeah... I'm surprised to find that so far, I've liked Tynion's issues the most out of this series, even if Seeley's were pretty funny at times, there's just a feeling that Tynion is writing his own story whereas everyone else is just writing something. Then again, maybe I just like this issue because the only main characters talking were Bruce, Dick, and a little of Jason (the three characters that I feel have been relatively solid since this series began). And the art was nice, but really good during the flashbacks, and only the flashbacks. Daniel is really good at drawing Batman and Bruce, as well as Robin and young Dick. I guess it's easier for him?

Also, I guess we got to see Sculptor here? Yeah... the pottery and shaping the children and all that, they're really trying to foreshadow her.

Incredible Member

Just read it, awesome!
    It was boring if we compare it with last issue, in terms of action, but it was cool to see a longer flasback as they have been a good read, and in the present the story is picking up the pace again, with The Mother finally appearing in the present-day-timeline.
    I bet that issue 7 will have some pretty cool asskicking, and stuff moving the plot-foward, since i can smell a confrontation between the bat-family and the Mother.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Dick-Harper-Cass is gonna be an awesome team.

I feel bad for Steph, but maybe this is a chance for her ties with Tim to be developed.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Astonishing Member

Yeah, as much as there were fun elements in those Orlando issues they just did not strike a chord with me. Things were way off balance and the lesser art didn't help it. Here, Daniel isn't even up to his usual level of quality but it still feels like a nice step up, and Tynion's script was solid enough that I went back and looked because I assumed it was a Seeley script.

But more importantly, those last issues felt a little tread-watery, like they could've been just one issue and cut out the lame stuff. But this one felt important, like we finally got some solid information. Real information. The overblown conspiratorial stuff fell into context a fair bit and leaves us with a bit of cold comfort that our heroes aren't getting run through another ex post facto conspiracy, but Mother still comes out of it seeming quite scary and way too informed about all the bat transpirings.

An uptick in quality was enough to restore my slightly dimmed interest from the last couple weeks.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

In all honesty, I barely made through issue 4. Come on, a team of Robins, no, not for an old man like me
    I saw Tony Daniel drawing 6, so I got 5 and 6, finished 4 and I must say I am pleasantly surprised. The story felt worthwile, great flashback scenes, showing the bond between Batman and Robin1. I hope the following issues can keep the pace to bring it to a rewarding close.

Incredible Member

Actually, one thing that is niggling at me - the guy paid 40 million for a bespoke wife? I mean, I get it's an exclusive club, that that still seems excessive when she's just going to age out of his tastes (no, I don't believe any guy who'll pay for a women made to his specs will want one who looks over 25) and then he'll need a new one anyway. Or does it come with free refills? How has he been convinced that this is a good deal?

I did like this Issue, mostly because I have loved all flashbacks and the musings about Bruce's and Dick's relationship seemed much more like the father-son dynamic than the "they are brothers". It's great to see that being acknowledged.

Dick, Cass and Harper in Prague, that sounds good particularly because we are finally out of Gotham but I do hope to see Stephanie in the next two Issues and with Valentine writing that could be a higher possibility.

hah. "Free refills." Fantastic.

Sameface was pretty rough. It'd be nice if each could develop a few facial visual cues. Maybe have one of them be more pointy faced, one have a bit more square of a jaw or something. Distinct hairstyles would be nice too.

Flashback art: incredible.
    Other art: eh. He does seem to struggle with adult grayson, but mother looks great and Harper and Cass looked alright as well.

I suppose its a good thing that Harper is in her spot rather than Steph. Otherwise, Tim/cass/steph fans might cause a ruckus. That said, I'd rather see Steph in her spot. Dick, Cass, Steph would be great.

Overall though, this was a pretty good issue. Not great, but it feels more like its moving forward now. Thats what I really needed out of this.

edit to add:

Oh, almost forgot, Dick going from motorcycle to the airplane was pretty fantastic. Loved that scene.
    Last edited by dropkickjake; 11-11-2015 at 02:41 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Probably the best issue so far.

Extraordinary Member

Now I'm actually invested in the central conflict and antagonist. And the way they revealed Mother was very disconcerting; she feels like a badguy who could easily become a background figure of the Underworld for the entire DCU. That's good.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP