Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "First year as Robin?" Don't you mean your only year as Robin ?
    Hey, intern turnover was high

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Good god, what happened to Daniels' art?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "First year as Robin?" Don't you mean your only year as Robin ?
    Actually, if we actually took the timeline literally, well for Bruce it would go like:

Zero Year (no Robin)
    4 years of being Batman
    Dick takes over for a year
    Start of the New 52

For Dick, it could go like:

2 years of being Robin
    2 years of being Nightwing
    1 year of being Batman
    Start of New 52 Nightwing

If we shrunk the amount of time Dick was Nightwing, we could get three years of being Robin. Again though, the timeline is just being used to make it simpler for us as readers, or at least, that's how it's being used nowadays. The ages of the Bat-characters is somewhat BS anyways, much like the power levels of characters in DBZ.

(I actually wanted to address this here just for fun, I realize I just ruined your joke, I'm sorry. I did find it funny, though. )

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    Actually, if we actually took the timeline literally, well for Bruce it would go like:

Zero Year (no Robin)
    4 years of being Batman
    Dick takes over for a year
    Start of the New 52

For Dick, it could go like:

2 years of being Robin
    2 years of being Nightwing
    1 year of being Batman
    Start of New 52 Nightwing

If we shrunk the amount of time Dick was Nightwing, we could get three years of being Robin. Again though, the timeline is just being used to make it simpler for us as readers, or at least, that's how it's being used nowadays. The ages of the Bat-characters is somewhat BS anyways, much like the power levels of characters in DBZ.

(I actually wanted to address this here just for fun, I realize I just ruined your joke, I'm sorry. I did find it funny, though. )
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Dick was Robin for three years. Which would make Damian the Robin with the second longest tenure. And mean that Dick was Batman for as long as he was Nightwing.

It's a moot point, though, as flashbacks are always going to use the youngest Dick possible (i.e., Year 1 Dick).

Extraordinary Member

Dick started as Robin "5 years ago", and Jason was Robin "3 years ago" (according to Batman and Robin #23.4), and since Jason was Robin only for a very short time Dick was probably Robin for around 2 years (including the training).
    Last edited by Aahz; 11-06-2015 at 11:05 PM.

Two years sounds reasonable but I do wonder if they won't bring the time frames up somehow and start retconning a bit.

This does look as if the book could go into more than mediocre field again. It was a good preview, but Daniels art already looked a bit more rushed than in the first Issue. I will definitely be looking forward to Valentine's Issues thou, they will decide if I keep this on my pull list. It's thrown out money if the only writer who writes like "himself" is the one who outlined the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    I disagree with all that. That everybody else sucks doesn't makes Tynion's pretty good, just less awful, and that is not good..

Saying that which ones are Genevieve Valentine's issues? I thought it was her turn.
    She is writing 7 and 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Two years sounds reasonable but I do wonder if they won't bring the time frames up somehow and start retconning a bit.
    I don't know. As far as the Robins are concerned, or at least as far as Grayson goes, they tacitly abandoned the timeline a while back. Trying to "fix" it would just introduce more problems and contradictions. As Claude likes to point out, when you have a story problem that can't be fixed, it's usually better to just ignore it. The Grayson folks seem content to more-or-less write what they want and say "We don't worry about these things and neither should you." At this point, that may be the best approach to the timeline question.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    I don't know. As far as the Robins are concerned, or at least as far as Grayson goes, they tacitly abandoned the timeline a while back. Trying to "fix" it would just introduce more problems and contradictions. As Claude likes to point out, when you have a story problem that can't be fixed, it's usually better to just ignore it. The Grayson folks seem content to more-or-less write what they want and say "We don't worry about these things and neither should you." At this point, that may be the best approach to the timeline question.
    Yeah, we don't need a hard retcon just let the writers tell the stories they want.

Timeline is what it is now
    Batman has been active 6-7 years now
    Zero Year was the soft retcon they did and that only concerned Bruce for the most part but it did show Dick,Jason,and Tim before they were Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    This.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, the timeline is the DC equivalent of DBZ's power levels.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I've been dutifully ignoring the ridiculous five year timeline myself for years and its only become easier to do so over that time. Other then a few mentions of it here and there over the years it really hasn't seemed to me like many writers have been taking it seriously anyway. Not only that but time stamps over the years have gotten pretty vague as well. I think DC realized early on that a five year timeline wasn't working for some parts of the DCU and they simply stopped acknowledging it after a while.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 11-07-2015 at 11:10 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

LoL, As far as im concerned DC can shove that timeline, and fixed character ages, right up their butt. That stuff is meaningless in the end. It gets established and then gets unestablished, and around and around it goes. Its just pointless to put much thought into that stuff. Some things are better left ambiguous.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-08-2015 at 02:40 AM.

Superman: Lois and Clark drove the final nail in the coffin of the five-year timeline when they had Lois and Clark arrive on Prime Earth with their infant son the day before the Justice League formed. That son is now nine years old. So it's actually a nine-year timeline, not a five-year timeline.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Astonishing Member

Minor gripe, but I really wish they'd have kept Jason's Red Hood/Arsenal undercut. Not only because I feel it looks nice on him, but the lack of it means he ends up looking more like Tim and Dick then he otherwise would with it. That, plus, like his costume, it would be in continuity with said on-going's look. Frustratingly, Grayson didn't have him keep it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Minor gripe, but I really wish they'd have kept Jason's Red Hood/Arsenal undercut. Not only because I feel it looks nice on him, but the lack of it means he ends up looking more like Tim and Dick then he otherwise would with it. That, plus, like his costume, it would be in continuity with said on-going's look. Frustratingly, Grayson didn't have him keep it, either.
    Superman editorial...