Default Would Venom and Carnage Be More Terrifying If They Didn't Talk?

Say Venom and Carnage were like Jason Voorhees of Friday The 13th, nigh unstoppable killing machines who never spoke a word, would that make the more terrifying? Sometimes I've felt their attempts at humor were forced and kind of took me out of the moment and I think eliminating their ability to speak would emphasize the monster part of the characters.

I think a silent killer is typically scarier.

If we're coming at them from a horror angle, then yes they would probably be more terrifying if they were silent.

But I think part of the appeal of both Venom and Carnage is that the personality of the user (Brock/Cassady) leaks out from the Symbiote, so having them be silent would be in my opinion missing out on the full Venom and Carnage experience. And Carnage is probably more conducive to a horror storyline then Venom.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

I don't know that mute supervillains are a great choice for Spider-Man villains - I always enjoy seeing how villains react to Spider-Man's steady stream of banter, and a nonverbal villain limits that.

Plus, you know, quick, name a mute Spider-Man villain! You probably said the Doppelganger, right? Remember all those memorable things he did, like...uh...

I think it wouldnt work for Venom. What always creeped me out about him was all the "we" talk. The idea of Eddy's sense of self being subsumed by the symboite was always scary to me. He wasn't fully and completely himself, something else was there eating away at his individuality.....

Carnage....yeah, I could see the silent treatment working for him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    I don't know that mute supervillains are a great choice for Spider-Man villains - I always enjoy seeing how villains react to Spider-Man's steady stream of banter, and a nonverbal villain limits that.

Plus, you know, quick, name a mute Spider-Man villain! You probably said the Doppelganger, right? Remember all those memorable things he did, like...uh...
    Understandable. But with Venom and Carnage, I'm suggesting a more unique dynamic with Peter. Instead of snarking at them, he actually takes them seriously and so does the audience.

Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post

Also Wolfman. although he is kinda big for being a C-lister if that makes any sense.

this would also apply to aunt may

No, without dialog they'd be even more lacking (for all the reasons already cited).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."