Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam: Mister Sinister is My Favorite X-Villain

Mister Sinister is creepy, invasive, weird and glamorous -- and he's Brett White's fave when it comes to bad guys.

Full article here.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Well he is according the recent male X-villians poll, which he won.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Sinister is mine favourite too. Dark and awesome.

BANNED

So many words spent on Sinister, yet not once mentioning his definitive depiction by Kieron Gillen. SMDH. Who cares about all those crappy '90s comics with him in it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadowbrat View Post
    so many words spent on sinister, yet not once mentioning his definitive depiction by kieron gillen. Smdh. Who cares about all those crappy '90s comics with him in it.
    completely agree!!!!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbrat View Post
    So many words spent on Sinister, yet not once mentioning his definitive depiction by Kieron Gillen. SMDH. Who cares about all those crappy '90s comics with him in it.
    Absolutely. Gillen made an already great character even better!! I love Sinister. I hope Lemire does him justice.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Sinister is my favorite X-vilian and the Gillen interpretation was phenomenal.

I loved Sinister in the 90s but Gillen and more recently Hickman's versions have been downright awesome. He's my favourite X-Men villain.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

If you consider Magneto a villain he'll be my choice, but if you call him an antihero I'd say Sinister is close to Mystique for me. Mystique is the more important ot the two, she's far more involved, but Sinister has style. Not thinking about the outfit, though wrestler Cody Rhodes likes it enough to wear a version of it, but his persona. He's so arrogant and he backs it up as well, he really has a reason to be arrogant. He's brilliant, he works in the shadows, planning for decades ahead, usually out-manouvering everyone until he, like all villains, eventually fails. But he's the real deal, and if Emma Frost hadn't convinced the Phoenix Force that Sinister wanted control where the Phoenix wanted change, leading the Phoenix to reject him, he would have ruled the world from AvX until the incursions occurred.

And the dialogue! One of my all-time favourites from superhero comics is from Endangered Species, when Beast calls on every genius with knowledge of biology/genetics he can contact. Sinister replies: "You have delusions of adequacy, Beast". Brilliant at what he does, arrogant and with great wit. He's like an evil, male version of Emma Frost.

2z7gcjo.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbrat View Post
    What Gillen wrote may have been interesting, I always thought it would have made more sense to have just created a new villain to tell that story. It just felt to far beyond the classical Sinister depiction, more of an excuse for Gillen to write something in a style he enjoyed writing more than the standard superhero stuff.

The stuff that Brett mentions defining Sinister is all the stuff I loved too, sometimes less is more.

You know how Claremont never interfered in his artist's designs for his characters? Malice was pure Blevins, Sinister totally Silvestri, and Cockrum's Polaris was %100 his design sense and there was no commonality suggesting Claremont's design sense could have been involved at all. With Sinester I'm convinced he passed off the naming of the character to someone else too. Doesn't it sound more like what Anne Nocenti would name a villain than Claremont?

Fantastic Member

Not an X-men comic reader so my knowledge of Sinister is only his appearances in the cartoons where he will forever be associated by me with making a single contribution making Cyclops look cool for the first time as Cyclops kicks his arse.

Spectacular Member

I think Brett nailed two major points here; one, that Sinister always works in the periphery of major events, which makes him more scary than many X-villains. He's tough to defeat because his signature is never readily apparent on most major events in a direct way. While the Hellfire Club, the Friends of Humanity, or even Magneto are always public in their intent, Sinister was always behind the scenes.

Also, the Nasty Boys were fart-filled frat boys. That team was laughably 80s. Gorgeous George? Hairbag? Slag? Ramrod? Stop...I literally can't even with all the 80s awesome sauce.

Incredible Member

my all time fave!

Spectacular Member

Sinister is a favorite of mine too because he's always been shown to be very capable and very dangerous. Anytime there is a confrontation with the Marauders and you know Sinister is in the background, you already feel worried that someone is going to end up dead or at least seriously hurt. Even when Sinister is defeated, it doesn't feel like a loss. The guy is scary.

I also like how he's not necessarily intertwined into the whole fight for peaceful co-existence. He could care less about that-- he's in it for the science and personal satisfaction.