View Poll Results: How do you feel?

Voters
265. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE IT! This reveal makes me so happy.

36 13.58%
  • Very pleased. Mutant, gay and proud.

33 12.45%
  • Pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed this revelation.

17 6.42%
  • Just relieved Bendis didn’t have 05 Bobby and adult Bobby different sexualities

11 4.15%
  • Indifferent; I genuinely don’t care if he’s gay or str8

86 32.45%
  • I don’t know how I feel?

6 2.26%
  • Disappointed. 05 Bobby as gay fine, but not adult Bobby

26 9.81%
  • Very annoyed. Neither Bobby should be gay.

19 7.17%
  • HATE IT! This retcon makes me so upset.

31 11.70%
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

I don't feel anthing, but depending on how he is written in the future that may change.

BANNED

Like with anything that Bendis does, I can be only extremely disgusted. Just imagine, Bi-Erasure! And he didn't even have the courage to admit it when confronted about it, instead hiding behind such a transparent weaselly cop-out like he was an editor or a politician instead of a writer (say what you will about Rob Liefeld, at least he had the guts to admit his homophobic intolerance), hahaha, I bet he was just afraid that he'd be the next SJW darling to be turned on and cannibalized by his Leftist fanbase like Joss Whedon for lacking enough ideological purity, revolutions always devour their own children after all...

Disappointed. I thought it was rushed and careless. Which is funny because it took half a year to be released.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by RandyMcDonald View Post
    It's not clear to me in this case that Bobby did not think that he might be genuinely attracted to them. He was coming from a place of profound denial about his sexual orientation, yes, but it does not seem as if he didn't like them, or as if he was using them as cover while he led a double life.

"And the years go by and it gets easier to put that part of yourself away. And then so much time goes by that ... You say to yourself, late at night: One day, maybe. And then you do things to see if maybe you're straight or ... ugh."

It wasn't a good way to deal, but I'm not sure Bobby thought that he was lying to them.
    It would be interesting to see a scene like that actually play out. Opal, Lorna or even Mystique could be like "Hey Bobby, WTF?" and see how he explains himself.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'm not relieved per se, but I do think it's only sensible that both versions are gay. I'm indifferent because in my opinion, the story about coming out is told before coming out. One character in which I'm not invested telling another character that they're gay doesn't exactly come off as intriguing.

I'm kinda disappointed because I think it wasn't written well. Nobody on the JGS side was written well. I just hope this gets explored more by a better writer that can write more than 3 types of personalities and also bobby gets an ongoing at one point in time.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    I'm kinda disappointed because I think it wasn't written well. Nobody on the JGS side was written well. I just hope this gets explored more by a better writer that can write more than 3 types of personalities and also bobby gets an ongoing at one point in time.
    "Iceman & Northstar: Worst lays ever"

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

I'm surprised to read -- according to the poll -- that most posters here are indifferent to it. I would've thought it'd be more polarizing than that.

I personally love it and it actually makes me care about the comics version of the character for the first time ever ("comics version" because I have always liked the movie version).

I mean, sure, I always liked his snark-a-thon banter with Kitty, but I never particularly cared for them as a romantic couple (though, given the choice between BobKat or StarKat...hah). I never particularly cared about Bobby with any woman. He always seemed distant and somewhat inaccessible to me, a cipher of a character who was there mostly to make jokes.

But with this latest revelation of what he's been holding back all these years, his distance and seemingly keeping people at an emotional distance by using jokes makes more sense. So yeah, I care about Bobby now. I don't know how long it'll last till I'm indifferent to him again (I'm fickle), but as long as he'll always have this added layer, he'll always be somewhat intriguing to me.

I also like how the previously established canon of his a-hole bigot father and his childhood probably fed into all of this, too. And I mean it likely led to him suppressing being gay, as being mutant and hated for that was hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    I agree with all of these points (except that it was disappointing -- because even Bendis-speak couldn't ruin this for me)... Bendis dialogue makes me cringe. But now that this is canon, any (better) writer can explore it.
    Last edited by Starleafgirl; 11-07-2015 at 10:53 AM.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

BANNED

I'd vote pleased if the answer didn't imply that BMB did an exciting job at it.

To clarify, I am happy Iceman is gay and I think it "could" be great for his character. Just like I enjoy Jeen being assertive under BMB, but it's still all so boring.
    Last edited by DDD; 11-07-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Indifferent, but I'm annoyed by how Bendis disrespects the character's history and characteristic. The retcon gives him a cover on NYT but ruins the character badly.
    In dog days, all we need is Frost.

Very pleased to see the vast majority don't mind.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I was never really an Iceman fan, so I don't really care. I thought Iceman's scenes were well-written though, and it does give him some extra character depth.

It doesn't affect my reading experience one bit, but I guess i'm happy for the people that are happy about it, if that makes sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Very pleased to see the vast majority don't mind.
    Again, if I had any faith in any writer here right now, I'd be pleased. I think that's why most voted "don't mind". We'd already have had some great Bling! or Anole stories if we had good writers. Northstar's been an official X-Man several times now and has been entirely forgettable.

I voted indifferent... it could maybe have been interesting if it did not feel like such a marketing gimmick. Becoming interested in Bobby because today he is gay seems to me like collecting a comic because it has a foil cover. Rictor's revelation and subsequent relationship with Shatterstar seemed a great deal more organic.