Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default More sexism from Scott Lobdell

This interview is over a year old now, but I just saw it.

Soule: There is a big character from the Superman world that has yet to make an appearance in "Superman/Wonder Woman." She shows up in issue #8, which is the one where we're sort of dealing with what happens in the "Doomed" one-shot -- and that is Lois Lane. We will finally get to see Lois Lane in "Superman/Wonder Woman," which hasn't happened before. I think it's a pretty fun scene people will like. She has a pretty big role in the crossover in general, so she'll start to show up more.

Lobdell: Is there a catfight?

Soule: I don't know, Scott! Maybe? You'll find out! [Lobdell meows as Pak and Soule groan]

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=51682

Yes, it seems innocent enough and it's obvious he's trying to joke around. However when coupled with the other sexist remarks he's made, it's NOT innocent. It's time DC does something about him. When he goes to conventions, appears on a panel, gives an interview...he is representing the company. The things he does and says represent the company. The sexist remarks he's made represent the company. There's no place for sexism in this field, and continuing to tolerate his behavior is only making the DC look bad.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I will side with whatever cause (legit or lacking a sense of humor & overly PC) that aims to remove Lobdell from writing comics for DC.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I will side with whatever cause (legit or lacking a sense of humor & overly PC) that aims to remove Lobdell from writing comics for DC.
    This. I don't think there is anything wrong with what he said, I just don't like his writing
    Romans 8:17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs- heirs of God and co heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    It's not really overly PC anymore when someone has a history of being sexist, however unintentional it may be (and I agree that he isn't intending to be sexist...but that intention doesn't really negate the occurances either).

http://www.themarysue.com/scot-lobde...al-harassment/

http://sequart.org/magazine/5530/how...ics-criticism/

Furthermore, while this was indeed a joke, and there's nothing WRONG at the surface of it...it IS an extremely overplayed and--yes, sexist--joke.

I was at the Long Beach Comic Con 2 years ago and Lobdell and two other DC writers where on the DC Panel. Lobdell would butt in to every conversation and his jokes and obnoxious behavior made the whole thing kind of uncomfortable. you could see the other writers were very annoyed. after the panel i happened to be walking behind one of the writers (who will remain nameless) and overheard him saying things like "I hate being on panels with him" and "he tries to take over the whole *&%#*ing thing every time." he was super pissed. DC needs to stop having Lobdell represent them at events.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I was at the Long Beach Comic Con 2 years ago and Lobdell and two other DC writers where on the DC Panel. Lobdell would butt in to every conversation and his jokes and obnoxious behavior made the whole thing kind of uncomfortable. you could see the other writers were very annoyed. after the panel i happened to be walking behind one of the writers (who will remain nameless) and overheard him saying things like "I hate being on panels with him" and "he tries to take over the whole *&%#*ing thing every time." he was super pissed. DC needs to stop having Lobdell represent them at events.
    you could've stopped at the end of the highlighted
    But in all seriousness that must suck for the other creators.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Seems like he's not the only staff member at DC who needs the boot for sexism, if those allegations a while back were in any way accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Seems like he's not the only staff member at DC who needs the boot for sexism, if those allegations a while back were in any way accurate.
    Am I the only one reminded of Seinfeld?

There is nothing wrong with that joke. Even in context there is nothing wrong with that joke. I haven't read any of his stories so no judgement there, but you're reaching so incredibly hard to find sexism in that joke you could be the elongated man.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    There is nothing wrong with that joke. Even in context there is nothing wrong with that joke. I haven't read any of his stories so no judgement there, but you're reaching so incredibly hard to find sexism in that joke you could be the elongated man.
    I was debating if it was worth bumping this useless thread to say how silly and over blown this reaction is. Some people just have a lot of hate.

It was juvenile at worst. I can understand it being a little more off-putting considering his history, but still in of itself un-noteworthy.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-06-2015 at 09:12 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member DeathFalcon182's Avatar

Lobdell is sexist. Nothing new here.

Astonishing Member

overreacting much?