Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post SupermanWonder Woman #9 Discussion/Spoilers

With earth under a kryptonite cloud, how can the Man of Steel fight the Doom within? Chapter 2 of Enemy of the State continues:
    spoilers:
    With the company of Hessia, Wonder Woman tracks Superdoom down to a jungle and begs her to use her abilities as an Amazon healer to save him. Reluctantly, she obliges. She straps some magic armor and heads off to face Superman, instructing Diana to stay back while she performs her work. Diana does so. But instead of helping Superman, Hessia tries to kill him outright. A minor scuffle ensues. Diana sees this with alarm and Hessia explains to her that her priorities lie with the people of the world that she can actually save, and not him. Diana refuses to accept that Superman is beyond saving. That the monster holding back is proof that Clark is still alive inside. Hessia disagrees, and in a blatant attempt to bait doom, she whispers in his ear that she was the one that revealed his relationship with Wonder Woman to begin with. She declares that she thought they were good for each other but that she was wrong. The Clark within rattled, Doomsday suddenly takes over and strikes. He is about to deal a deadly blow, when god-mode Wonder Woman (with no arm braces) intervenes. She ensnares him with her lasso, and pulls him towards outer space.
    Out of the atmosphere and the effects of the kryptonite, Clark regains his composure. He tells Diana that he needs to leave earth and mentions that something is wrong with Lois and that she is dangerous. Diana vows that earth will remain protected. Clark doesn’t mention Hessia’s deceit.
    On his way off planet, Superman faces the Red Lanterns Guy Gardner, Supergirl, and Zox. They attack him but Doomsday quickly swats them down to earth. There, Wonder Woman confronts Guy with the lasso of truth and knowing their true intentions, tells them to go after him and help him, and to let him go if that is not possible.
    end of spoilers

Charles Soule continues to surpass our expectations with every passing issue of SM/WW. There is a certain rhythm to his storytelling that makes action and plot flow together really well. And at times that can make his writing rather predictable. But, just as in SM/WW #6, here this is pleasantly not so. He uses a ruse to catch us off guard and the moment hits harder as a result. While most comic books give us a twist as a bookend, their presence is always expected because of the nature of comics themselves. But here, it comes in the middle of the story and from a character that had so much goodwill built across 8 issues, that no twist was ever anticipated. Hessia is the ruse. And her deception and betrayal of Diana’s trust comes at a moment when we, as readers, and Superman and Wonder Woman, as participants, least expect it. Soule cleverly injects a plot thread from past issues into the Doomed narrative making it all feel like part of a cohesive world. The ramifications of which, are many. Will Clark ever tell Diana what Hessia whispered, knowing that it would hurt her? Will Diana forgive Hessia for trying to kill Clark? Will Diana’s trust issues intensify as a result (after all, this is not the first time a close friend betrays WW)? What does this hold for WW’s relationship with SM, in the eyes of Hessia and in turn, the Amazons as a whole?

Another high point: captions. Soule is one of the few writers that actually manages to use word captions as a viable dialogue tool rather than one used solely for mental exposition (ie. Lobdell). Picture them without the icons and colors, and each is still identifiable with a distinct voice. I, for one, find it to be one of the title’s hidden strengths. And it is here that the undercurrent of #9 shines through. The story begins with an interesting “monologue” between Clark and his inner dark self. His will to resist and prevail clashing with the uncontrollable urge for destruction and death. This silent dialogue continues back and forth during the whole issue offering a nice metaphorical fight between Superman and Doomsday. When Clark falls, Doomsday takes over and vice-versa.

But the true delight of the book relies, once again, on the main characters: Superman and Wonder Woman. They both keep stubbornly fighting for each other and the world, even as those around them fail them. Both dealing with adversity: Superman from within and Wonder Woman from without. Their loving exchange while in space is bittersweet. Their forced separation punctuated by a tinge of regret. It shows two superhuman characters with very human emotions. As the audience, you can relate.

While the final third (the meeting with the Red Lanterns) lacks the same punch as the rest of the issue, it does serve its purpose as a proper link to the next chapter in the series.
    There is one downside though: those not following the SM/WW series will feel kindda lost and might find Superdoom’s altercations not enough of a reason to pick the chapter up. But for me, this is a 9.
    DC, this book needs to have more pages!!
    Onward to Action Comics #33.
    --
    As always, please try and revolve your comments/discussions around the SM/WW issue at hand.
    Last edited by Xarek; 06-11-2014 at 09:40 AM. Reason: clarity; grammar
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

An other fantastic issue by Soule. Everything with Hessia was surprising and brilliant.
    Diana might not use the words I love you easily but she shows her feelings for Clark ten folds.
    "I'm going to score this T-shirt and I am going to wear it because I want to"

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I wish this arc would just end already.

Another good issue
    I thought the whole Red Lanterns vs Superman thing might have lasted a bit longer
    Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. Ever.
    -Superman, Action Comics #775

I liked Hessia here... she was very boring, but in this issue she was actually interesting. And it was great to see godmode outside Wonder Woman own comic, I don't approve everything about how Soule used Azzarello's mythology, but it was more hit than miss.

But I have to drop this series after the revelation that Diana cannot survive in space. It's just too terrible for me, and stop buying the book is all I can do.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

That was messed up Hessia i like you and all but come on that was not cool. I must admit i like this new intelligent doomsday shame his fight with the red lanterns didn't last longer but it was to be expected since he is stronger now.

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Hessia's armor was totally badass. Too bad it didn't last long. Actually, it looked far better than the armor Hephaestus made for WW and SM. And her reveal to SM was unexpected. But it makes sense. The very first issue Diana was truly hurt by Clark's refusal to bring their relationship into the light. She even said how that made her feel like he was ashamed of her, which is a strong emotion, IMO. Doctors are problem solvers, and Hessia did what she did to solve Diana's problem and to help a friend. It was a betrayal, but one that seemed to have come from a good place. Her judgment is questionable, and this revelation now makes me wonder, more than ever, why she left PI. Soule is doing an excellent job fleshing out this new character, slowly adding layers and dimensions to her with each showing. She is developing into more than the stereotypical older Black woman who is a strong shoulder and willing ear for a main character, although that is an aspect of her representation as well.

As ever Soule and Daniel do a bang up job by continuing Doomed and showing Clark and Diana's relationship strengthen because of it. Hessia's Amazon upbringing and being Diana's sister, a healer does makes sense her choices. I would never have guessed she was the one outing the relationship. It's cool seeing God Mode and as far as Diana not able to breathe is space...it's no different to how she's been for decades. It does not bother me since that's never been an iconic WW thing per say. Most of the time Diana needs an air craft or breathing apparatus, or Lansarian tech etc to be in space for long periods of time. The Red Lanterns bit was interesting too. It is a shame there are only so many pages in a book, I wish this book was longer. To wait for Action now.

I love how Diana is not giving up on Clark. Last issue she took his insecurities head on and dealt with them. This event on the whole actually is very effective showing how Diana is learning what it means to be in a relationship. We know that is an issue for her being an Amazon and so independent etc. Cute exchange with them about dancing. And she calls him that endearment and with all she's gone through...you'd think she must love this guy or something.

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Yes, Hellacre, I too loved the use of the endearment. It was unexpected and undeniably bittersweet. We also don't get to know if magic would have helped SM. That is still an option yet explored, but I doubt if it will be brought up again, at least not through the use of Hessia.

After this is all over, I get the feeling Superman is going to exile himself.

You think Wonder Woman talks like Zsa Zsa Gabor?

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    You think Wonder Woman talks like Zsa Zsa Gabor?
    Lol. What? I would have thought she sounds more like say Eva Green now she's living in London.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    Yes, Hellacre, I too loved the use of the endearment. It was unexpected and undeniably bittersweet. We also don't get to know if magic would have helped SM. That is still an option yet explored, but I doubt if it will be brought up again, at least not through the use of Hessia.
    From the looks of things in later solicits, things look bad...ie they seem to infer Doomsday takes over again. I am curious to see how he gets cured.

I sort of expected the revelation with Hessia and yet the way Soule decided to reveal the whole thing still shocked me. I wonder how it's going to play out once Diana learns about her friend's betrayal. I hope after 'Superman Doomed' Charles Soule finally develops a huge 'Hessia story arc'; there's too many questions to be answered.
    BTW, now I want to see Hessia in battle armor all the time?
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    Lol. What? I would have thought she sounds more like say Eva Green now she's living in London.
    One of Zsa Zsa Gabor's trademarks was calling everyone "Darling."