Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

So far, the only good live action video game movie I've seen is Ace Attorney.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    The Resident Evil films only work if one just don't see them as movies based on the games.
    They just don't even really work, there's so many more better zombie movies a person could be watching instead of the Resident Evil movies...or they could just play the better video games. The Resident Evil movies are so weirdly toothless, it's really strange, because they're R rated movies, but they never really feel like they're trying to be.

So far the only one I've somewhat enjoyed is Resident Evil: Extinction, although I wasn't really watching it; I was watching it on fast forward.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    The Resident Evil films only work if one just don't see them as movies based on the games.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.
    I think he's saying they're good movies as their own thing. Like, despite not having much of anything to do with the games, they're good on their own merits. Which isn't true, they're still awful movies on their own.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I think he's saying they're good movies as their own thing. Like, despite not having much of anything to do with the games, they're good on their own merits. Which isn't true, they're still awful movies on their own.
    I find them to be not particularily good but nevertheless rather enjoyable (kind of like a reverse Godfather, to me anyway).

The Resident Evil films (well, I haven't seen all of them yet) seem to do what I have advocated video game adaptions should do: just take the characters and basic concept, forget about the game, make a story out of that that works as a movie, and film it.
    They could be somewhat more faithful, characterwise, but it's a better aproach than some other efforts.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I find them to be not particularily good but nevertheless rather enjoyable (kind of like a reverse Godfather, to me anyway).

The Resident Evil films (well, I haven't seen all of them yet) seem to do what I have advocated video game adaptions should do: just take the characters and basic concept, forget about the game, make a story out of that that works as a movie, and film it.
    They could be somewhat more faithful, characterwise, but it's a better aproach than some other efforts.
    They could be a lot more faithful, just to what's going on. There's a more interesting movie in the first game about a SWAT style unit investigating a mansion and encountering zombies and giant mutant creatures, than there's been in any of the movies they've actually made. And those Resident Evil movies are so boring and toned down, especially the first two, which have boring looking zombies and almost no blood at all.

When the other approach is, say, Super Mario Bros., that isn't really saying much.

More entertaining than anything in a Resident Evil movie.

BANNED

Some games don't really have enough story or character development to support a 2 hour movie. The main focus is the game play, while what little narrative exists merely serves as a vehicle to move along the game play. Many of Shigeru Miyamoto's games fall into this category which explains his comments.

Quote Originally Posted by kingmyth View Post
    Some games don't really have enough story or character development to support a 2 hour movie. The main focus is the game play, while what little narrative exists merely serves as a vehicle to move along the game play. Many of Shigeru Miyamoto's games fall into this category which explains his comments.
    Miyamoto commented once not long ago, that he's trying to put even less story in his games. Which is what most people blame for shooting the last Paper Mario in the foot.

Well I have hope for The Assassins Creed movie because Ubisoft is making it. If they are half as good as marvel is at capturing the essence of there characters while adapting them to the big screen it will be great. Marvel changed a lot of thing but it doesn't leave you feeling like " Wow that wasn't even really The Avengers." The X-men movies despite a couple of them being pretty good felt that way. They changed so much and changed relationships between characters. I mean Xavier and Magneto were friends for like a week in XFC. That takes away from there dynamic IMO. Cause when you watch the first X-men movie's you think to yourself that these guys were best friends for years. Not a week.

I think certain Video Games can make great movies if the writers for the games are involved.

Assassins Creed, Uncharted, God of War, and Army of TWO. Those are the games I want to see as movies because I believe they can work. Theres other games that could make good movies but would be a lot harder to do. God of War would be the hardest of the games I named. Whoever rights all them Liem Neeson movies where he gets revenge by hunting down and killing everyone in the movie could right it. Cause that's the movies center. Its Clash of the Titans if Perseus was a bad ass who could hunt down and kill gods and other greek legends. I always thought Peter Mensah would be the perfect Kratos. Only problem would be when they show him when he was still a man. They would have to use another actor since Peter Mensah is black.

im hopeing for a GTA movie.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned The Last Starfighter. And in case anyone says its not adapted from a game, the movie is Galaga with a plot.
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    I did enjoyed the doom movie especially when it had that little POV segment. Karl Urban though was easily outshined by the rock in that movie.

I loved Doom. I've never understood the hate it gets. If you accept it for what it is - a sci fi action flick - and don't expect Citizen Kane its a great movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I can't speak for Doom (though that first person clip looked like a very crappy FMV game from the 90s), but Silent Hill was decent, IMO. It definitely had more respect for the source material than most game movies. But as far as scary movies go, there wasn't anything notable or scary in it.
    That sequence was the only part of the movie that was like that. It was meant to be an homage to the original game. The rest of movie is normal.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    I loved Doom. I've never understood the hate it gets. If you accept it for what it is - a sci fi action flick - and don't expect Citizen Kane its a great movie.
    Why do people always say that? Citizen Kane was terrible. We should just be happy with what we got even though it's worse than a terrible movie? What kind of logic is that?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Dude even the Rock says he is embarased by that movie and he was in it. It was not a good movie at all.