Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 76 to 88 of 88
  1. #76
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martini Sigil View Post
    Off the top of my head....

    1- 100 Bullets

    2- Preacher

    3- Y: The Last Man
    Aren't those all DC/Vertigo (an imprint of DC) titles?

    Do they really qualify as "Independents"?

  2. #77
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,171

    Default 3 Top Indies

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Aren't those all DC/Vertigo (an imprint of DC) titles?

    Do they really qualify as "Independents"?
    Yes because DC has deteriorated into fan fodder continuity junkie schlock for the most part. Vertigo is the only breath of fresh air and while some stuff under DC occasionally gets shunted to Vertigo most of their output is the real deal. Speaking of three......Ghost Money from Lion Forge, Ghost Station: Code Name Babushka from Image and Red Dog from 451. Most people consider Vertigo independent because Geoff Johns and Jim Lee have nothing to do with it. How come you don't?
    Last edited by alton; 01-23-2018 at 05:57 PM.

  3. #78
    Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    New Jersey/Las Vegas
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Aren't those all DC/Vertigo (an imprint of DC) titles?

    Do they really qualify as "Independents"?
    I always thought so.... but I see your point, especially since some of the title had crossovers with the parent universe. Still, Karen Berger ran in like an indie company, and I really look forward to what she does over at Dark Horse... I don;t read those three titles I mentioned and think to myself that I'm reading a DC comic, even if they are the parent company.... and I think that was the point when they launched Vertigo.

  4. #79
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martini Sigil View Post
    I always thought so.... but I see your point, especially since some of the title had crossovers with the parent universe. Still, Karen Berger ran in like an indie company, and I really look forward to what she does over at Dark Horse... I don;t read those three titles I mentioned and think to myself that I'm reading a DC comic, even if they are the parent company.... and I think that was the point when they launched Vertigo.
    Yes, but Vertigo books still have more backing from parent DC than many other independents, which would help in terms of overall production and just awareness of the products. It doesn't matter if DC does a lot of advertising for them or not; even if they get grouped with DC better-selling books (like Batman) in terms of things like Previewsworld, the monthly solicitations, and order forms through Diamond, that's big advantage they get.

  5. #80
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,171

    Default 3 Top Indies

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Yes, but Vertigo books still have more backing from parent DC than many other independents, which would help in terms of overall production and just awareness of the products. It doesn't matter if DC does a lot of advertising for them or not; even if they get grouped with DC better-selling books (like Batman) in terms of things like Previewsworld, the monthly solicitations, and order forms through Diamond, that's big advantage they get.
    Yes and if you can find me the number of DC fans that actually look at the Vertigo section once they finish with the DC section be my guest. Many of us do because we are looking for the same thing we see in an indie company. I look at Vertigo listings as an indie sometimes to the exclusion of ordering anything from the DC section because so much of DC is just overhyped crap just like Marvel.

  6. #81
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    In the Tardis reading The Expanse book series
    Posts
    13,959

    Default

    Currently:

    Hellboy/BPRD
    East of West
    Lazarus
    Favorite Artists Right Now: Ivan Reis, Andrea Sorrentino, Stuart Immonen, Jason Fabok, Olivier Coipel, Nick Dragotta, Kim Jacinto, Patrick Gleason, Jorge Jimenez, Greg Capullo, Jerome Opena, Steve McNiven, Kev Walker, Steve Epting, Sean Murphy.

    "I am a mad man with a box!"--- The Doctor

    Jesus said unto her, "I am the resurrection, and the life. He that believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whosoever lives and believes in me shall never die."--- John 11:25-26

  7. #82
    Astonishing Member Abe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,436

    Default

    Hellboy/BPRD
    East of West
    Black Monday murders

    Divinity/Eternity and Black Hammer are not in the top 3 but I really like them.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

  8. #83
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Yes and if you can find me the number of DC fans that actually look at the Vertigo section once they finish with the DC section be my guest. Many of us do because we are looking for the same thing we see in an indie company. I look at Vertigo listings as an indie sometimes to the exclusion of ordering anything from the DC section because so much of DC is just overhyped crap just like Marvel.
    But, how do comic book shop owners look at Vertigo? Do they see it more as a part of DC? Does that increase the chance that they might carry their titles over true independent companies?
    If they're in a comic book shop on display, at least they can be seen by a reader who hadn't already been reading/aware of them.

  9. #84
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1

    Default

    really loving Hellboy, Paper Girls and Mad Cave Studios, although this list can go further than 3 lol

  10. #85
    Duly appointed enforcer of the Admin Accord Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 1997
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Transformers: Lost Light
    Giant Days
    Lazarus
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek

  11. #86

    Default

    Think Tank
    The Metabaron
    D4VE2


    Is there a large thread {preferably here} or even a sub-forum I may have missed where people recommend comics to each other?

    top3.jpg
    Last edited by Cosmicbeing; 02-06-2018 at 10:23 PM.

  12. #87
    Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Of the ones I am currently reading? Giant Days, Snot Girl, Harrow County.

  13. #88
    Amazing Member Deku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    1. I Hate Fairyland
    2. Saga
    3. Archie
    PLUS ULTRA!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •