Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Martini Sigil View Post
    Off the top of my head....

1- 100 Bullets

2- Preacher

3- Y: The Last Man
    Aren't those all DC/Vertigo (an imprint of DC) titles?

Do they really qualify as "Independents"?

Mighty Member

Default 3 Top Indies

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Yes because DC has deteriorated into fan fodder continuity junkie schlock for the most part. Vertigo is the only breath of fresh air and while some stuff under DC occasionally gets shunted to Vertigo most of their output is the real deal. Speaking of three......Ghost Money from Lion Forge, Ghost Station: Code Name Babushka from Image and Red Dog from 451. Most people consider Vertigo independent because Geoff Johns and Jim Lee have nothing to do with it. How come you don't?
    Last edited by alton; 01-23-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Spectacular Member Martini Sigil's Avatar

I always thought so.... but I see your point, especially since some of the title had crossovers with the parent universe. Still, Karen Berger ran in like an indie company, and I really look forward to what she does over at Dark Horse... I don;t read those three titles I mentioned and think to myself that I'm reading a DC comic, even if they are the parent company.... and I think that was the point when they launched Vertigo.

Quote Originally Posted by Martini Sigil View Post
    I always thought so.... but I see your point, especially since some of the title had crossovers with the parent universe. Still, Karen Berger ran in like an indie company, and I really look forward to what she does over at Dark Horse... I don;t read those three titles I mentioned and think to myself that I'm reading a DC comic, even if they are the parent company.... and I think that was the point when they launched Vertigo.
    Yes, but Vertigo books still have more backing from parent DC than many other independents, which would help in terms of overall production and just awareness of the products. It doesn't matter if DC does a lot of advertising for them or not; even if they get grouped with DC better-selling books (like Batman) in terms of things like Previewsworld, the monthly solicitations, and order forms through Diamond, that's big advantage they get.

Mighty Member

Default 3 Top Indies

Yes, but Vertigo books still have more backing from parent DC than many other independents, which would help in terms of overall production and just awareness of the products. It doesn't matter if DC does a lot of advertising for them or not; even if they get grouped with DC better-selling books (like Batman) in terms of things like Previewsworld, the monthly solicitations, and order forms through Diamond, that's big advantage they get.
    Yes and if you can find me the number of DC fans that actually look at the Vertigo section once they finish with the DC section be my guest. Many of us do because we are looking for the same thing we see in an indie company. I look at Vertigo listings as an indie sometimes to the exclusion of ordering anything from the DC section because so much of DC is just overhyped crap just like Marvel.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Currently:

Hellboy/BPRD
    East of West
    Lazarus
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Hellboy/BPRD
    East of West
    Black Monday murders

Divinity/Eternity and Black Hammer are not in the top 3 but I really like them.
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Yes and if you can find me the number of DC fans that actually look at the Vertigo section once they finish with the DC section be my guest. Many of us do because we are looking for the same thing we see in an indie company. I look at Vertigo listings as an indie sometimes to the exclusion of ordering anything from the DC section because so much of DC is just overhyped crap just like Marvel.
    But, how do comic book shop owners look at Vertigo? Do they see it more as a part of DC? Does that increase the chance that they might carry their titles over true independent companies?
    If they're in a comic book shop on display, at least they can be seen by a reader who hadn't already been reading/aware of them.

pinchpicnic

really loving Hellboy, Paper Girls and Mad Cave Studios, although this list can go further than 3 lol

Transformers: Lost Light
    Giant Days
    Lazarus
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Think Tank
    The Metabaron
    D4VE2

Is there a large thread {preferably here} or even a sub-forum I may have missed where people recommend comics to each other?

top3.jpg
    Last edited by Cosmicbeing; 02-06-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Fantastic Member Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Of the ones I am currently reading? Giant Days, Snot Girl, Harrow County.

1. I Hate Fairyland
    2. Saga
    3. Archie
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman