Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default New Avengers #19 (spoilers)

Don't see a topic so I'll get it started.

Good issue imo started a bit slow.

Firstly flash backs to Banner and hank implanting a device in Bruce that allows him to control when he hulks out and when he reverts.
    Reed starts it by talking to swan about the harsh conversation she and tony had. Swan says she's not concerned with reeds heart and since he's stopped thinking rationally and started feeling instead he's useless to her.

Reed talks to Tony and tony tells him that Cap remembers and the Avengers are going to come and try to stop them so they are running out of time.
    The avengers travel to the ""Justice Leagues"" world and try to talk peacefully with them about solutions to the current incursion of their worlds. Superman is happy about the peaceful meeting but ofcourse Batman is suspicious. The illuminati asks if The League has any ideas to stop this incursion or else they'll have to resort to other measures. Superman says they dont have a plan except Hope which amuses that ass Namor who responds with insult. Batman asks what the illuminati's plan is and they beat around the bush saying that one earth will have to go if all else fails. Batman asks who's earth in an ass way. The illuminati try to beat around the bush again but ass Namor grows tired of it and blasts Batman. Fight insues.

meanwhile.

Mad Max is back at the necropolis alone with Swan and pulls out a micro laser that blasts a hole in the ember that thanos, Proxima and Corvus are incased in just to see if air would speed up Corvus Glaives crawling recovery and it does. now a fully regenerated Corvus is seen in the ember.

end

so.....what's Max up to?
    ---

You should put more emphasis on the fact that the Illuminati (except for Namor) repeatedly asked the Great Society to collaborate with them in finding a solution to this incursion.

Also, interestingly, the GS were apparently not as inventive as previously thought, since they used their equivalent of the Infinity Gauntlet to solve one of the three incursions they faced. Of course, we still don't know what their third solution was (the one which wasn't the Gauntlet analog and the Norn's destruction of the Mapmakers' dead Earth), but it doesn't seem to be replicable.

edit: also, although this was the second issue with an Avengers vs GS fight on its cover, it still did not contain a fight, only the beginning of one. Thankfully the next Avengers issue is next week and the next NA issue is the week after that - this is moving so slow it's killing me.

edit 2: I thought what Namor did at the end was incredibly stupid... What the others were proposing was exactly the way to go: let's try to solve the problem together first.
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 06-11-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Spectacular Member CyclopsWasRight's Avatar

Namor, doing what he does best.

Namor was great this issue.

The Great Society was right.
    The Illuminati waltzed in there assuming their Earth had to be the one to survive because, to be crude, they've got the biggest gun of the two groups...How arrogant.
    Rider denying them like he did was totally deserved.
    Namor starting a fight when there's still some time to be use however...
    Typical reckless Namor.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Also I think Maximus (with Namor) is the one on the cover of NA#24 now.
    Makes sense given what he did in today's issue (apparently something he's been doing for a while).
    Last edited by People Of The Earth; 06-11-2014 at 11:02 AM.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Oh dear god, well this comic just get on with it already? I haven't seen a comic drag a story arc this badly before outside of Bleach and Naruto, while disguising it with pretentious dialogue to try to make it look deep. You can say a character was great in an issue, but that does not make up for the rest of the tedious and boredom of the characters waxing poetic when we already know they'll just end fighting each other in the end. The story is just killing more time and padding itself out even more with all of this.

Hickman, for the love of god, please end this arc already! Just move on! I do not give a crap about the Great Society anymore! PLEASE!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    You should put more emphasis on the fact that the Illuminati (except for Namor) repeatedly asked the Great Society to collaborate with them in finding a solution to this incursion.

Also, interestingly, the GS were apparently not as inventive as previously thought, since they used their equivalent of the Infinity Gauntlet to solve one of the three incursions they faced. Of course, we still don't know what their third solution was (the one which wasn't the Gauntlet analog and the Norn's destruction of the Mapmakers' dead Earth), but it doesn't seem to be replicable.

edit: also, although this was the second issue with an Avengers vs GS fight on its cover, it still did not contain a fight, only the beginning of one. Thankfully the next Avengers issue is next week and the next NA issue is the week after that - this is moving so slow it's killing me.

edit 2: I thought what Namor did at the end was incredibly stupid... What the others were proposing was exactly the way to go: let's try to solve the problem together first.
    Well there had to be someone to start the fight. Namor being reckless wasn't even a surprise to me.
    The conversation about "which earth should us destroy" wouldn't go anywhere after all, since no one want it to be their own earth.

I really enjoyed this issue. A lot of good developments with chief among them being why you don't let Maximus be unsupervised.

Also enjoyed the Reed and Stark talk as well. I think we're going to see Reed crack soon.

Also Namor was absolutely right to do what he did. It was obvious where this was going to end up. Dancing around it was going to make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    I thought what Namor did at the end was incredibly stupid... What the others were proposing was exactly the way to go: let's try to solve the problem together first.
    Namor is just getting tired of the waiting and posturing. He's already concluded that there is no solution to this problem and it is kill or be killed. That's been his entire argument from issue 1.

Do the Illuminati even know that Black Swan is a telepath yet? I wonder if she planted a suggestion in Maximus during the fight to put her back in her cell.

And who could have possibly predicted having Maximus on the Illuminati would end in horror and catastrophe ... Everyone?
    Last edited by jphamlore; 06-11-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Oh dear god, well this comic just get on with it already? I haven't seen a comic drag a story arc this badly before outside of Bleach and Naruto, while disguising it with pretentious dialogue to try to make it look deep. You can say a character was great in an issue, but that does not make up for the rest of the tedious and boredom of the characters waxing poetic when we already know they'll just end fighting each other in the end. The story is just killing more time and padding itself out even more with all of this.

Hickman, for the love of god, please end this arc already! Just move on! I do not give a crap about the Great Society anymore! PLEASE!!
    If you're looking for action then you are reading the wrong book. And after 19 issues that's only your fault at this point. New Avengers has been more focused on the characters and their dealing with this massive universal threat. The fighting has always been secondary. And I don't know how you can say this is dragging when every issue reveals something new about the Illuminati and their mental state. That this issue is mostly argument and discussion makes sense when you are dealing with the smartest characters from their respective universes and no one wants a fight. The Illuminati were interested in them to begin with because they thought that the Great Society had figured out a new way of dealing with the problem. That was their main objective and what was on everyone's mind. Of course the story is then going to center around that whole idea. This isn't Civil War after all and these characters (Namor being the exception) from the start have always been reluctant to pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    Do the Illuminati even know that Black Swan is a telepath yet? I wonder if she planted a suggestion in Maximus during the fight to put her back in her cell.

And who could have possibly predicted having Maximus on the Illuminati would end in horror and catastrophe ... Everyone?
    I don't believe they do, no. And Maximus doesn't exactly need a suggestion to get him to do something like this.

Hickman has become just as decompressed as Bendis.

Maximus, oh Maximus. This is why when you have a super secret group, you don't invite psychos. Why is BlackBolt always the problem with this group lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Hickman has become just as decompressed as Bendis.
    Hickman always reads better in trade, the stories are long but worth it in the end. Except when its $4 a segment .