Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Astro City is off to a weird start already. They have a hero named American Chibi haha, I like it so far. Might have to check out more stuff from the writer.
    You should really check the trades of the older Astro City series, before it went to Vertigo. Your library even might have them.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    I've never read an Astro City book before, but I always intrigued by the Alex Ross covers. After Fables is over with, I won't see a reason to read Vertigo stuff anymore since their recent stuff is a little sub par. But I might have to break my rule for Astro City. So being that this will be my first reading this. I'd like to know some of your opinions on this series before going in. Thanks.
    As most everyone else in this thread is saying, if you're reading this thread and have never given the book a try, you have been missing out. If you're a fan of Silver/Bronze Age comics, you will enjoy it. If you like good comics period you will enjoy it.
    Really you can start out reading this series anywhere and be fine. The current series is solid, but I would start with the earlier volumes. Life in the Big City collects the first six issue series and serves as a great introduction to many of the characters, ideas and the City itself.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Absolutely one of my top favorite (and these days, sigh, just about only) superhero series, and, as other posters have been writing, largely this is due the different perspectives Busiak is able to bring to the series-- my absolute very favorite story is the very very first from long ago, in which "the Superman analogue" (which is NOT really so) 'dreams' of flying, just flying, as opposed to 'flying off somewhere to effect a rescue'. These are very human superhero stories, most often very well written, and nearly always beautifully drawn. I have LOTS of other favorite individual stories, and clearly from other posters, these will vary by reader, but I see the common thread being: oh yeah, Astro City is well-worth your time!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

All-New Member

The only comic I'm buying monthly these days. Relaunch proof.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I would say it's a really great series and well worth a read. I enjoy the old school feel of it and the various perspectives Busiak is able to bring to it keep it continually entertaining. You can just jump in anywhere but I'd still recommend starting with "Life in the Big City" and just going from there.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

All-New Member

Yeah, it's a great series, especially the early stuff. There are some weaker issues but it's solid overall and there are some issues that are simply amazing. Come to think of it - I should really reread the series...

BANNED

Astro City is Kurt Busiek’s superhero love letter and it’s an amazing ride within each issue.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Astro City is awesome! I've read 'em all, and there's never been a weak issue. It's actually done a lot of tremendously strong stories over the years that would be forever remembered as classics by legions of fans if they happened to Spiderman or Batman (or their supporting cast) instead of characters that are unique to this series.

One thing that makes Astro City so powerful is that it happens in real time, but can also go back and forth to different eras. So you get endless variety, but also check-ins with the present day that lets you see characters progress through their lives. For example, there's a character named Astra Furst who was a small child in the very beginning of Astro City back in 1995. She showed up a couple more times over the years, and then finally starred in another story in 2009 as a college graduate. There's no other comic book series that does that. (Except maybe Savage Dragon, but that series is way more "out there" and doesn't feel as "real" as Astro City.)