Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is Green Arrow being cancelled?

Hi. Any help is greatly appreciated. I heard recently that Green Arrow was getting cancelled at issue 52. Is this true? Ben Parcy's run started off bad, but has gotten better. Zirchers art is always amazing. So I wanted to know if they are going to ended now that it's gotten better.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Incredible Member

I'm just curious, where did you hear this?

I'd imagine it would get relaunched with a new #1 before they just cancel it. After the remaining original New 52 titles get to issue #52 you'd think that would be a good time to try and shake things up some though.

I've read about this in some forums on other sites. I know it's probably just a rumor, but he's my favorite DC character so of course I want to know if it's true.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

BANNED

I can't imagine it getting cancelled, but if it does. I'm sure he won't be out of the loop for too long. I feel like the character is more popular than he's ever been and I think Percy is doing an amazing job on the character.
    Last edited by Starchild; 11-07-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Mighty Member

I've seen the rumor too, but I don't know the source. If it is being cancelled we probably won't know for a couple months until we get March's solicits.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I hope so. The New 52 flat out ruined the Green Arrow I grew up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Matthew Logan1962 View Post
    Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I hope so. The New 52 flat out ruined the Green Arrow I grew up with.
    Green Arrow wasn't the only one.

Astonishing Member

green arrow started out really bad but im excited at the new trajectory that new 52 brought to ollie. what i would like to see is DC pulling a marvel. cut off all the titles selling below 20k, change things up, create new teams, relaunch them and move it into a new direction just not in a DC You direction.

BANNED

Baf... The rumour mill never stops, whether it's actioned by actual water or hot air and windbag. The only thing I know for sure is that a series cancellation is usually announced in no uncertain terms by the publishing house two-three months before the last issue, so if there's no release from DC in the month between #49 and #50 sudden cancellation becomes a very remote hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    green arrow started out really bad but im excited at the new trajectory that new 52 brought to ollie. what i would like to see is DC pulling a marvel. cut off all the titles selling below 20k, change things up, create new teams, relaunch them and move it into a new direction just not in a DC You direction.
    What's a DCYou direction?

BANNED

If it is, it's not because of the sales. Te usual cancellation level for DCU titles on iCV2 is 17K, and it's selling well above that at 25K.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InSavnity View Post
    Baf... The rumour mill never stops, whether it's actioned by actual water or hot air and windbag. The only thing I know for sure is that a series cancellation is usually announced in no uncertain terms by the publishing house two-three months before the last issue, so if there's no release from DC in the month between #49 and #50 sudden cancellation becomes a very remote hypothesis.

What's a DCYou direction?
    "DCYou" refers to presenting characters is a manner that is outside of their traditional sort. It comes from the "DCYou" promotional push DC did earlier this year, where several books got creative directions that was very non-traditional.

However, I'm not sure this is true for Green Arrow. On the surface, the current depiction isn't that different from most others.

Always Rakzo

Is Green Arrow going to be cancelled?

I honestly have no idea.

Is it a bad thing though?

Not really.

DC tried to get more readers by going into a direction more similar to the one in the show and they even brought the main creator to write it. Of course it didn't work, the reception from both critics and fans was awful, Andrew Kreisberg is simply not made to write comic books (or anything else really, not a fan of his work as a whole) and the sales didn't gain an increase.

Then they tried to get into a more "realistic" route, one that could touch serious issues just like some of the old classic stories featuring the character. It didn't work either, Ben Percy is the kind of writer that takes himself waaaaay too seriously and that is reflected in his writing, the narration is awfully pretentious to the point that is unbelievable and downright dumb. Worst of all, the "serious topics" it handles are incredibly simplistic and present a borderline cartoony execution with one-dimensional villains and unsatisfying conclusions. It doesn't solve any problem, it doesn't make you think (although it actually makes me think how anyone could have considered this a good idea in the first place) and yet it BELIEVES that is more important than it actually is.

(For the record, I wouldn't say that Percy's run has gotten better, maybe less bad, but becoming a little less bad from terrible still makes it bad).

The title has lost all the momentum from Lemire's run and people currently are either bashing the title or simply ignoring it (and the people who initially hyped Percy are rightfully silent right now). The best course of action would be to cancel it for the moment, search for an adequate creative team, create a solid direction and start once again.

Is Green Arrow, the title will eventually come back one way or another especially considering that they have a popular show based on it. Just let it rest for the time.

BANNED

We really need a Green Arrow: Earth One pronto to capture the Arrow fans.

Astonishing Member

If it is, it will be relaunched.

The BC rumor mentions Supergirl, and I'm still betting that'll be relaunched soon, too.