Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Fair enough. I didn't realize it wasn't performing well. It seemed there was a lot of buzz about it. I really liked a lot of Lemire's DC work. Though by the time he left a lot of what he was doing just felt like he wanted out. Ex. JLU

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Ninja Viking View Post
    They never should have messed with Lemire and Sorentino's run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    DC didn't messed up it, low sales lured Sorrentino to Marvel, like work with bendis give more exposure and $$. then lemire just got out of green arrow because of it.
    maybe DC should had promoted more green arrow and even relaunched it with a new #1 for sorrentino/lemire since what came before was crap.

iDK lemire got out of DC just to get a exclusive contract with marvel...weird
    I was under the impression that Sorrentino went to Marvel and Lemire didn't want to continue without him as the main reason he left Green Arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I was under the impression that Sorrentino went to Marvel and Lemire didn't want to continue without him as the main reason he left Green Arrow.
    That is the exact reason

Always Rakzo

Yep, that's the case.

BANNED

I think it was what I wrote. sorrentino got out of green arrow to work on marvel and then lemire decided to end his run too on GA

Spectacular Member

That's too bad I loved Sorrentinos art and I'm not a huge Marvel fan. I'll probably check out Old Man Logan though when Lemire takes over.

BANNED

This is getting annoying. Might as well turn this into a Green Arrow disrespect thread.
    1. Emiko and Damien are nothing alike, they're both kid sidekicks. That's it. Period.
    2. The New 52 Outsiders and The Pre-FP Outsiders only share the name. The concepts are totally different. Just like how Pre-Crisis SS shares the same name as current SS, but they are different characters.
    3. The Arrowcave doesn't exist anymore. It's only bought up for humorous purposes.
    4. Arrow used plenty of Batman villains. Who cares? A villain is a villain. I don't care if he's fighting Livewire or Doctor Polaris.
    5. Green Arrow and Batman are more different than your think. Read some comics.

There's been loads of threads over the years devoted to ways of getting better GA sales. It all gets a bit ground hog day: "make him rich again", "no, stress his social conscience more", "make him a street level tough"' etc, etc.

It's all been tried in the comics over the years. And let's be fair a lot of it's been very successful at some point or other...few characters have been as successful as GA.

But...will there never come a point to try something more radical? (To be honest I think we've reached that point. I was actually hoping that as part of new DCU he'd actually been given powers...say wood telekinesis...that explained his decision to use arrows in 21st century. Really something to bring character up to speed with modern age.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    This is getting annoying. Might as well turn this into a Green Arrow disrespect thread.
    1. Emiko and Damien are nothing alike, they're both kid sidekicks. That's it. Period.
    2. The New 52 Outsiders and The Pre-FP Outsiders only share the name. The concepts are totally different. Just like how Pre-Crisis SS shares the same name as current SS, but they are different characters.
    3. The Arrowcave doesn't exist anymore. It's only bought up for humorous purposes.
    4. Arrow used plenty of Batman villains. Who cares? A villain is a villain. I don't care if he's fighting Livewire or Doctor Polaris.
    I think people here, well at least me, are speaking about general perception of the character. What you wrote is mostly true and people who follow Green Arrow know this, but people who just watch Arrow or have heard only couple of things about him? I doubt that for them he is that different.

Couldn't agree more!
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Problem is that, in my opinion, Green Arrow is viewed as "b-list Batman". Not using guns? Wealthy? Trick arrow/various gadgets? Arrow cave? Second and Third seasons of Arrow focused a lot on Batman's villain. When we see people talking about show its usually how "Arrow is Batman and Flash is Superman of this universe", but Flash has very distinct powers and mythos when compared to Superman, Arrow sadly looks too similar to Batman.
    Lemire's run focused a lot on Outsiders... a group that many associate with Batman. Emiko? First thing that many people said on this board was some variation of "Ollie got his Damian".

I mean if someone asked to describe Green Arrow, I think most of us would include "kinda like Batman, but" phrase at some point. Which works fine for TV show since it doesn't have to compete with Batman TV show, but with comics its different matter. Each month we get 3-4 comics featuring Batman from various angles, usually they feature better writing and art. So wheres the hook for Green Arrow?

I think that in the past his "social crusader" gimmick gave him an edge, but it was absent in new52 till Percy arrived. Unfortunately his mediocre (and I'm being generous here) writing and Dark Knight influence made it even worse. Honestly, I'm not sure what needs to be done here. Maybe they should try to pair him up with Green Lantern again? From what I heard it was well received and hasn't gone out of print. Besides its not like Green Lantern franchise isn't facing its own identity problems and could use some fresh air.
    You nailed it sir.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

If the title does get cancelled, so be it. For a cat with no superpowers, Ollie has certainly left his mark and distinguished himself among his peers.
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 11-22-2015 at 04:55 AM.

BANNED

1. Emiko follows a long trend of Green Arrow comics copying something that came out of Batman, Speedy-Robin, Mia Dearden-Stephanie Brown,Emiko-Damian,arrow cave,arrow signal,arrow mobile etc.
    2. Why do they even share the name? if you want to make something distinct then you start with the name,calling them Outsiders and having Katana be part of the team is inviting comparisons. It's like me creating a character called Darkseid and giving him a servant named Desaad who is like the actual Desaad but asking people to not compare him with the actual Darkseid,please.
    3. Villains have particular dynamics and relationships with heroes,if you're gonna copy Ra's al Ghul's relationship with Batman and paste it on Green Arrow then again you're inviting comparisons. Besides using another character's villains reflects poorly on Arrow even if it's Livewire or Doctor Polaris.

There's nothing wrong with the character concept. It's just that GA has been stuck with sub par creative teams for the majority of his existence. Lemire and Sorrentino were the only notable creators on a Green Arrow book since Brad Meltzer and Kevin Smith. But they showed that the right creators can make the character great despite what the New 52 did to him.

I don't understand why people are saying that Green Arrow as a character is bad or broken. Arrow is hugely successful and when Lemire and Sorrentino were on the book it was easily one of the best comics being produced each month. DC characters not named Batman and Superman have a difficult time selling in the current market without a high profile creative team.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Sorrentino (sp) art was bad. Maybe Lemire GA run would have been decent with a much better artist? Something I will never know.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.