Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Numbers seemed to be stabilizing, but the real issue is that Lemire's scripts were hugely conventional. It was plot-driven, over written adventure comics.

You can't compare the sheer audacity and novelty of the Fraction/Aja team to the Lemire/Sorrentino Green Arrow run. Fraction/Aja was low-fi comics like hadn't been done since Automatic Kafka; a real rarity in the market. The Green Arrow run you reference was well received by fans, but it was totally mainstream and predictable soap opera adventure. It read like a Chris Claremont comic -- which might have been revolutionary in the 80s, but feels dated now.

Books like Ellis' Moon Knight, King/Seeley Grayson, Batgirl and Spider-Gwen and Black Canary are more in the vein that I'm speaking to. It doesn't mean that it'll work out 100% of the time -- I know Black Canary isn't doing great -- but the novelty is what catches people.

(books like Ms. Marvel and Gotham Academy are successful for slightly different reasons, I think).
    What also helped was that Clint's solo was from start to finish Fraction/Aja while Lemire/Sorrentino came in after a mediocre/underwhelming Nocenti.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    And Ra's never tried to blow up Gotham with a train like in Batman Begins, and Lukin is the main villain in the Winter Soldier and Eobard Thawne never impersonated Harrison Wells and he doesn't get wiped out of existence by his ancestor and Lash isn't the husband of a SHIELD agent and he's a priest. No one cares that they take creative liberties and change stories so they fit the medium.
    At the end of the day Oliver taking out Slades eye and Slade having a huge personal vendetta against Oliver and coming to Star City to fulfill it is a major Green Arrow arc and it's the core of season 2. People only seem to care about these changes with Arrow when every comic adaption has equally large changes.
    And? Ra's and Eobard are still Batman & Flash villains,Slade aint a Green Arrow villain which was my original contention. 4 terrible and forgettable issues written by Judd Winick aren't a major arc for either Arrow or Deathstroke nor is 1 page from Identity Crisis. Their enmity had no basis and that's why it flopped, even on the show it was Manu Bennet who sold it and the good bits were ripped from The Dark Knight Rises because by God Slade's characterization and the writing was on par with Son of Batman.
    Even Bennet feels that way.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

JT Krul did a good job with Ollie before the N52. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I haven't read GA since.

gatrilogy.jpg
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 12-01-2015 at 03:52 AM.

All-New Member

I hope it's not being cancelled even though the current team isn't exactly great. GA has so much potential but needs a decent writer.

(My experience is based on Kevin Smith's run and most of that volume, Year One by Diggle, and also Lemire--> onwards)

Well, at least it's getting an over-sized / over-priced issue #50 for March.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Ollie 1962 View Post
    JT Krul did a good job with Ollie before the N52. "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I haven't read GA since.

gatrilogy.jpg
    Krul's first run had its problems (namely a constant editorial interference and his own weakness concerning subtleness) but there's no doubt he got the character RIGHT and was able to create some good developments for him.

Although, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is not a valuable mentality considering that new directions can indeed be good as long as they have a good creative team behind it.

I think is time for a new vision for Green Arrow, Lemire was certainly going for the correct route and someone skilled enough should be able to expand it.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, at least it's getting an over-sized / over-priced issue #50 for March.
    But considering that is still being handled by Percy, is it worthy?

All-New Member

The horror aspect Percy has employed is odd to say the least, but kudos for trying something different. I enjoyed the clans and the Outsiders mythology and would like to see that expanded. Also use Mia Deardin more effectively

Guess I'm alone but I really like Percy's run.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Krul's first run had its problems (namely a constant editorial interference and his own weakness concerning subtleness) but there's no doubt he got the character RIGHT and was able to create some good developments for him.

Although, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is not a valuable mentality considering that new directions can indeed be good as long as they have a good creative team behind it.

I think is time for a new vision for Green Arrow, Lemire was certainly going for the correct route and someone skilled enough should be able to expand it.

But considering that is still being handled by Percy, is it worthy?
    My problem with the new "concept" is the complete deviation from the O'Neil/Adams incarnation. It was that incarnation that made the character a staple among the DC pantheon. What DC has done is changed the character to fit the CW Arrow/New Avengers mold of Clint Barton/Hawkeye. I see it as clear as day. New readers unfamiliar with the old school GA don't know this. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern (Hal, John, Guy) have retained the core of their pre-52 characterizations/mythos. Why f%$! with Ollie? That's all I'm saying. Heck, have more than one GA. My nephew is reading Batman 1966. He doesn't even like the Synder Batman.
    Last edited by Old Man Ollie 1962; 12-15-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    You are not alone! I really like that he's expanding Ollie's supporting characters too. I don't know why people say it's terrible (maybe not great but terrible?) honestly, Zircher's art alone is worth it. I don't think GA needs a radical fix.

So yeah, hope this cancellation rumor just stays as a rumor.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    I can't imagine it getting cancelled, but if it does. I'm sure he won't be out of the loop for too long. I feel like the character is more popular than he's ever been and I think Percy is doing an amazing job on the character.
    I agree, the character is on its better moment mainly due to the success of the TV show. Green Arrow is the charcter with the least chances to be cancelled. This rumor is derivated from the especulation DC will reboot the New 52 after all titles hit the 52nd issue.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I like Percy's run, too. Don't understand why so many hate it so much. The art is great, too.