Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Armor Hunters, #1

Robert Venditti makes sure readers know what's going on in "Armor Hunters" #1, whether they read "X-O Manowar" or not. This alien threat is perfectly laid out by Doug Braithwaite, who makes a nice-looking & accessible story.

Full review here.

Thought this issue was excellent. Great start to the event with several high-impact events taking place that should effect the VALIANT Universe for some time.

I really can't wait to read all the tie ins to this. It really does look great across the board.

I was unsure of picking this up as I am presently only getting Unity. Glad I did, great starting story!

Amazing Member

What a way to kick of VEI's largest summer crossover blockbuster. Venditti is at the top of his game and the artwork matches the quality of the story. THIS is how you start such a project. Leaves us anxious for the next installment. If you haven't experienced the quality which is Valiant, this would be a GREAT place to start. Warning though.....Once you try it you will be addicted and find you need more and more of the excellence which Valiant produces each and every month, AND ON TIME! Go ahead.....give it a try.....you know you want to........ GOTCHA!

Been reading all of Valiant's excellent work in the trades as they come out. Can't wait to get my hands on this one! Hope it won't be too long cause it looks awesome!

Loved Dougie's work on this, some of his best IMO.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

The biggest standout character wise continues to be Aric's maturity now 25 issues in +his UNITY team experience. That's all been parlayed into how he agreed to the US deal and to work with MERO where Col.Capshaw is his senior contact and takes his marching orders when giving.

What we learn about the Armor Hunters and the exchange on GIN-GR about protocols and a past "cleansing" are revealing and leave us(it did me) wanting to know more to which they referenced.

Then or course there is the last page and what global ramifications these Hunters will leave on the VU once they've been dealt with.
    The preview pages for Harbinger & Bloodshot mini tie-ins was also well served. With how the Gen-Zero kids are going to be deployed and Bloodshot seemingly also now tied in with MERO and Capshaw (see how BS&HC#23 ended folks).
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Whoever is in charge of continuity within valiant needs a medal. First with Harada's story mixed between Bloodshot, Harbingers, and Unity was seamless and he read like the same character between each book and their authors. Now, like Captain Craig said, Aric's growth has been evenly portrayed between everything that he shows up in. This was a great issue but beyond that this company has been handling the shared universe extremely well and I'm loving every moment of it.
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

All-New Member

The art is stunning. The story is intense...this is no "pointless" crossover event that we so often get from the "big two." Valiant is amazing...the continuity is solid and this issue is incredible, a brilliant start to this event. I was so impressed with this, I couldn't read any more comics for the rest of the day, I had to absorb this epic story, ponder what comes next. With Rai, Harbinger, and Armor Hunters, Valiant continues to prove why they are the best shared universe in comics today. for 25 years I collected comics, but got burned out by the overhyped events from Marvel and DC, lucky for me Valiant continues to provide solid stories, amazing characters, and a world where actions have significant ramifications. I can not wait for more Armor Hunters!!!!

All-New Member

This was just a great issue. I'm burnt out on events and all that jazz, but AH #1 actually lived up to the hype. Venditti's world and myth building is fantastic.