Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    For the record, I think Mystique likely is bisexual. I just don't think there's sufficient on-panel evidence to say so.

Psylocke, on the other hand, I suspect is probably straight, and Cluster was simply an exception, resulting from already having fallen in love with her when she appeared male.

Mercury probably is just experimenting. Especially since we never did get to see the date, or its aftermath. Bling! and Mercury haven't been seen together since Mercury agreed to a date, so we have no idea how it went.

It's entirely possible a writer will reveal America as asexual and went on a date with a girl as an experiment. It's more likely she's a lesbian.
    So there's enough on-panel evidence for you to label America as a lesbian. But not enough to call Mystique bisexual? I'm really not seeing the distinction.

There is actual on panel evidence of Psylocke scissoring Cluster. But that's still not enough for you to consider her queer.

Who are you to decide whether a character counts? How many women do Psylocke and Mystique have to screw until they're queer enough for you?

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

Hi,
    Is Avengers Arena worth a read?
    I really want to read a story featuring characters from Braddock Academy.
    Sorry if this wasn't the right place for this question!

Quote Originally Posted by cheesebiggins View Post
    Hi,
    My answer is a very cold "NO"

Hi,
    I personally enjoyed Avengers Arena and Undercover but I'm sure others will disagree. Many blame it for the deaths (or character assassinations) of their favourite characters. I believe that as long as you are willing to see teen characters being killed off then the story was pretty good.
    Unfortunately Avengers Arena and Undercover are the only places you can see Braddock Academy students in action (you can see Box and Loch in Infinity:the hunt, Magic Boots Mel in avengers assemble 15au and Kid Copper in a marvel point one issue but these are all one off appearances)
    Hope this helped!
    Last edited by Demon Bowler; 10-29-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Hi,
    Avengers Arena was good if you are interested in Braddock Academy students, Avengers Undercover was a lot more rushed and Kev Walker do as many issues so it was a disappointing follow up.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Hi,
    Definitely worth checking out, one of Marvels better books over the last 5 years.

The Braddock Academy kids are awesome. Especially Cullen.

I liked Arena. Some really strong moments in there. But I know a lot of others hated it. To each their own, I suppose.

I wouldn't want to open up a can of worms but some people really struggle with death in their comics. If death isn't a massive turnoff then Arena is a solid story.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    I wouldn't want to open up a can of worms but some people really struggle with death in their comics. If death isn't a massive turnoff then Arena is a solid story.
    Solid would mean Arcade would face a harsher punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Solid would mean Arcade would face a harsher punishment...
    Like every comic ever?

Like every comic ever?
    It's getting tiresome seeing villains get off easy these days. Especially when they are killing more heroes. I mean, Green Goblin blew up a hospital, and just ran off, and all Peter PArker could say was "Oh well, we'll get him next time". It pisses me off!

Ha, I enjoy it. I don't like seeing the same thing over and over. It becomes boring. I like seeing the villain "win" occasionally.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    So there's enough on-panel evidence for you to label America as a lesbian. But not enough to call Mystique bisexual? I'm really not seeing the distinction.

There is actual on panel evidence of Psylocke scissoring Cluster. But that's still not enough for you to consider her queer.

Who are you to decide whether a character counts? How many women do Psylocke and Mystique have to screw until they're queer enough for you?
    Personally, I don't think what is stated in 'evidence' doesn't necessarily matter, just what vibe comes off the characters to the reader. Personally, I think we have enough on-panel stuff with Destiny to render Mystique as bisexual. She might be pansexual, and Destiny might be an exception for her. But personally I regard Mystique as bisexual, whether that's corroborated or not. Unlike Psylocke's brief fling with Cluster (who ties back to the male form anyway), Mystique and Destiny seem secure enough in their female forms, and seem to have been painted as a long-term relationship.

Mercury is an open question which I feel might be resolved in upcoming issues. It's an AI sexuality though, so not conforming to the binary seems a natural fit.

America seems to have been portrayed since Young Avengers as absolutely a lesbian. She dated a guy, it didn't work out, and she expressed that in #15. Now she's dating girls, one as was hinted at through texts in Original Sins. Her hypothetically being painted as asexual by a future writer could be a possibility, but I doubt it would happen.

So I don't think it's necessarily a firm decision, but one person's reading. I feel it's in error to label Psylocke or Mercury as bisexual or any firm identity, but it's important to still acknowledge they have these feelings without designating an identity. And even if Miss America's feelings shifts in future, what's important is the present - and as the present stands, she has a homosexual identity.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

"tell me, which of your impressive deeds am I meant to respect the most? kidnapping? Child abuse? inspired video editing?"
    Zemo to Arcade, Avengers Undercover #10, and I am not even counting the punchline of an ending of that issue
    “I am vulnerable. Starved for kindness, and when I receive it, I lose my mind.”
    — Marjorie Liu, Tiger Eye

“When you need to stop an asteroid, you get Superman. When you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman. But when you need to end a war, you get Wonder Woman.”
    — Gail Simone

MY CHANNEL: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cheshire1501

Ha, I enjoy it. I don't like seeing the same thing over and over. It becomes boring. I like seeing the villain "win" occasionally.
    I don't mind villains winning, but if they do somethign outright horrible, they SHOULD face punishment. I mean, Ana Kravenof never faced punishment for killing Maddie.