Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Supergirl" Recap: Family Ties Complicate a So-So Episode

In "Fight or Flight," "Supergirl" tells us not to focus on Kara's famous cousin by focusing a whole lot on Kara's famous cousin. Wait... what?

Full article here.

Amazing Member

I have to disagree. I love how this show is tackling the existence of Superman head-on. Supergirl will always be tied to Superman, and it makes sense for the show to address that in such a direct way, because it lets Kara explicitly express that she wants to figure out who she is on her terms. I don't find it heavy-handed. It's not exactly subtle, but it doesn't really have to be.

Absolutely love the IM conversation between her and Clark at the end. Got a little misty eyed. The music in this show is great and really underscored that moment well with the drums.

Jeremy Jordan at his most awkward and charming? Sorry but he feels kinda stalkerish to me.

Incredible Member

I don't understand the controversy. This episode was all about Kara breaking away from Superman's shadow. How was that to be accomplished without including him in it? I'll expect to hear much less mention of him from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    I don't understand the controversy. This episode was all about Kara breaking away from Superman's shadow. How was that to be accomplished without including him in it? I'll expect to hear much less mention of him from now on.
    You mean other than the fact that the Supergirl show is basically a Superman in a skirt show?

BANNED

But when the episode focuses on Supergirl's need to let her own story unfold on her own terms and "fly her own battles," it's odd to have Superman's unseen presence so often pushed to the front. It's hard enough that the world wants to define Supergirl by her ties to her cousin -- does the show have to do it, too?

To me, it is not odd. To me, it is an incentive for Kara Danvers to not wanting this to happen in the future again.
    I disagree with the view that 'the world' wants to do that with Kara Danvers and also that the show wants to do that with Kara Danvers in a NEGATIVE way.
    To me, it can lead to an eventual POSITIVE development for Kara Danvers to take her steps towards becoming 'her own woman'

Overall, a solid episode. Cat Grant continues to be the least likable character in the whole series. And Maxwell Lord didn't get nearly the amount of face time as I had hoped. But it still had its moments, especially at the end. I'm really liking how they're developing the relationship between Supergirl and her sister. That relationship has proven to be one of the best in the show thus far.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Amazing Member

This series need serious improvements in stunts and choerography. Those wire stunts look atrocious.
    Acting is a mixed bag, but can't expect them to improve anytime soon in that.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DarkeSword View Post
    I have to disagree. I love how this show is tackling the existence of Superman head-on. Supergirl will always be tied to Superman, and it makes sense for the show to address that in such a direct way, because it lets Kara explicitly express that she wants to figure out who she is on her terms. I don't find it heavy-handed. It's not exactly subtle, but it doesn't really have to be.

Absolutely love the IM conversation between her and Clark at the end. Got a little misty eyed. The music in this show is great and really underscored that moment well with the drums.
    I agree that the IM conversation at the end sort of saved this episode, but I hope the writers move on from this point. And the less Cat Grant the better.

Magick is Everywhere

Default Finding Her Voice

I liked the episode for the simple reason that it continues the overall plot of Kara becoming her own hero. Her being upset at James actually calling her cousin to deal with Reactron shows that she wants to fight her own battles, win or lose. The IM exchange with Clark and Kara was awesome.

You know, Cat Grant wouldn't be such a problem if she at least chewed up scenery and was entertaining; can't even do that with her. She's just there being grouchy and egocentric. Also, I hope the inclusion of Lucy (and her relationship with James ending on "bad" terms) ends the James/Kara teasing. Don't need a romantic interest right now and in the immediate future.

I'm pretty much only watching this series because of Melissa Benoist.

The introduction of various baddies will help keep my interest, but the acting and marginal stunts are awful.

I also didn't mind the Superman references. I did think it was funny that people in the other thread thought it got old quick. Harmless differing viewpoints.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    But when the episode focuses on Supergirl's need to let her own story unfold on her own terms and "fly her own battles," it's odd to have Superman's unseen presence so often pushed to the front. It's hard enough that the world wants to define Supergirl by her ties to her cousin -- does the show have to do it, too?

To me, it is not odd. To me, it is an incentive for Kara Danvers to not wanting this to happen in the future again.
    I disagree with the view that 'the world' wants to do that with Kara Danvers and also that the show wants to do that with Kara Danvers in a NEGATIVE way.
    To me, it can lead to an eventual POSITIVE development for Kara Danvers to take her steps towards becoming 'her own woman'
    Agreed. Odd is not the correct term here. The correct term is "required."

Astonishing Member

What spoiled the episode for me was the typical PIS or CIS? Not knowing Reactron's (sounds like a new drug for acne) abilities in comics, I see no reason that Kal or Kara couldn't have eliminated him in a flash (that's a pun). He certainly seems human under his armor. There are quite a few ways to simply take him down. For instance, there is the top of his forehead. Oh, dear, I seem to have cooked his brain.

The interplay with Kal was the strong part. I'm glad they are not ignoring him.

Amazing Member

Now that the world knows that Kara is Superman's cousin, I wonder if Lex Luthor will make his presence known in National City.

Incredible Member

I think that even if Kara hadn't spilled the beans that she was related to Superman there would have been public speculation as to whether or not she was.