Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I agree that a Tom King Legion of Superheros book would be awesome! Sadly I don't see DC bringing the team back anytime soon.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Incredible Member

I think it'd be cool if Omega Men ends with them being sent to the 31st century and King writes a Legion book.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 11-10-2015 at 09:30 PM.

Based on sales he's not much of a draw. I'd rather not another quick end to another reboot.

I need more Matter Eater Lad.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I want them back too, but I'm afraid DC would just mess the book up again. And which Legion do we get? post-FP, pre-FP, post-ZH, pre-Crisis?
    I agree.

Be careful what you wish for, you might receive it.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

The Legion needs...
    1. A complete revamp from scratch with a creative team with name notoriety.
    2. To be restablished within the Superman mythos. Sorry it shouldn't have been removed from it in the first place.
    3. To not dump a bucket load of characters into the book to soon. Take one character make them the audiences eyes and ears and then gradually expand.

Anything short of this is just going to fail again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Based on sales he's not much of a draw. I'd rather not another quick end to another reboot.
    I love King but I agree, at this point in his career his name alone isn't gonna add significant sales increases. no doubt the book would be well written i would hate to see yet another quick cancellation. they would need a big name from Marvel to jump ship to work on the LoS. the publicity of a marquee signing would generate the buzz the book needs to have a great start and a better chance of surviving.

Been thinking about the Legion after re-watching the Legion of Super-Heroes cartoon. I really hope someone good comes and makes them great.

Also, what about Orlando on such a book? He's a good writer and doing well, he could perhaps do good with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Darkseid doesn't invade with a fleet of ships. Darkseid chills on your couch, embarrasses and humiliates you, and won't leave. And he drinks everything in your fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The Legion needs...
    1. A complete revamp from scratch with a creative team with name notoriety.
    2. To be restablished within the Superman mythos. Sorry it shouldn't have been removed from it in the first place.
    3. To not dump a bucket load of characters into the book to soon. Take one character make them the audiences eyes and ears and then gradually expand.

Anything short of this is just going to fail again.
    And don't linger too long on one character or plot.
    When Levitz came back shortly before New52 the book boiled down to Brainiac5 and Earth Man, both of which I had no interest in.

Which really surprised me, because he mastered the Walking DeadTV split-em-up into smaller groups technique years ago.
    He was doing that in the '80s.

Aside from his groundbreaking subplot structuring, which was unique to comics at the time, he mastered the art of handling a large cast of characters by splintering them into smaller groups, focusing on each set for an issue or two, then bring them all back together for a story climax and regrouping. Then after the team got settled, he'd shuffle them up and do it again, usually mixing unpopular characters with a few popular ones to build their popularity up.

The only interesting issue, to me, was the Annual.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Was LL one of the titles in the New 52 that wasn't well received? I don't know, I liked it a lot. The Legion in the modern world isn't something I see often. The artist made Wildfire look absolutely stunning on every page.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Was LL one of the titles in the New 52 that wasn't well received? I don't know, I liked it a lot. The Legion in the modern world isn't something I see often. The artist made Wildfire look absolutely stunning on every page.
    I didn't like it.
    Which says a lot for me, as Wildfire and Dawnstar are two of my favorite Legionnaires of all time.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

After 57 years (and nearly that many relaunches ) it's going to be impossible to get all Legion fans to agree on a single version of the team they want. Heck, I've spent the last 25+ years cordially disagreeing with fellow Legion fans about the merits of the post Five Year Gap team. Some people will want the Legion of one specific run, some will want their favourites in the team, others will want certain characters entirely absent, and others will lobby to throw out all previous characters and start afresh with a new team.

So I think that any new Legion run really has to be about the writing. It needs to tell a story that draws people in, whether they were Legion fans before or not, and then makes fans of them, even if the team shown isn't "their" Legion. It needs to be written by someone who knows the old Legion runs and characters, embraces them all, and can communicate that enthusiasm to the reader. And it needs to not play safe.

Which is why I think it really does need someone like a Tom King, who's not afraid to experiment with the comic as an art form, and do things differently. Someone who can vary pacing, with done in ones and longer plot arcs, and make his characters likeable. Or unfathomable. Or creepy. Whatever the plot demands. He's not yet too big a name to be given the Legion franchise to fix, but he's done a varied enough body of work now that he might bring people from Grayson, from Omega Men, even over from Marvel now he's writing a title for them, to top up the numbers of the Legion faithful.

And if you need a big name to boost the circulation numbers to keep the title running, make that the artist. But the one thing that the Legion really needs is not to have another lacklustre relaunch, and for that it needs to get itself a storyteller above all else.

BANNED

Jason Aaron could write a "Timber Wolf and the Legion" series featuring Brin as the new headmaster of Legion Academy.

If they make a new LoSH comic, I think I'd like to see it as what Nu 52's Earth 2 was originally planned to be, and should (IMO) have been. We start out with a heavily battered and bruised world picking itself up and having a new dawn of young heroes leading the way as they escape the old status of dystopia by finding inspiration in legends that existed centuries ago. Make it bold and optimistic instead of angsty and edgy. It wouldn't have to be all sunshine and unicorn farts. Heroes need to be challenged, after all, and they won't always agree even among themselves, but rather than have them at each others' throats, have them get each others' backs even as they're snarking at each other.

I want a comic that will make me believe that the future can be better. That humanity (And alien species out there as well too, of course ) can and will rise above the worst in their natures. I want something to cheer for, I want heroes who are better people than me while still being people.

I think a new LoSH could be that comic

If they found the right creative team and let it be without having gloom and doom events curb stomp any good vibes it had.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Quote Originally Posted by Manbat View Post
    I need more Matter Eater Lad.
    I agree, he is my favorite Legion member. It just bites that they don't use him enough. He the best part of the 5 Year Later stories.
    I have no beef with Vegans