Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default What Other Mythologies And Folklore would you like to See In DC Comics?

We've seen characters and concepts from Greek and Egyptian Mythology in the DCU. What other myths and folklore would you like to see?

For me, I'd like to see the Aztec Gods and the Loa of Haitian Vodou (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_Vodou). Seeing characters from Chinese Mythology like Sun Wukong would also be welcome.

BANNED

Would like to see Norse, Japanese & African mythology explored.

Druid - Druidism
    Lord Ewald (Ewald Olaffson) - Norse
    Mahayogi - Hindu wraith and servant of the goddess Shiva gave Maya her powers
    Maya
    Mohammed Ibn Bornu - Muslim
    Musashi - Bushido
    Osiris - Egyptian
    Phalanx - Greco-Roman
    Seneca - Native American spirituality (Iroquois)
    Xiuhtecutli - Aztec
    The Immortal (Prester John) - Nestorian Christian
    Last edited by Güicho; 12-01-2019 at 03:24 PM.

I guess I will be unpopular by saying that I'd prefer not to see any asides of characters from Greek* myths. Regardless of their colourful appearance they represent rather similar concepts and I feel like having bunch of pantheons dilutes their individual importance. Would you want to have additional versions of New Gods? I don't think so.

I don't have preference for Greek stuff, but since Wonder Woman depends on them heavily its natural choice.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I guess I will be unpopular by saying that I'd prefer not to see any asides of characters from Greek* myths. Regardless of their colourful appearance they represent rather similar concepts and I feel like having bunch of pantheons dilutes their individual importance. Would you want to have additional versions of New Gods? I don't think so.

I don't have preference for Greek stuff, but since Wonder Woman depends on them heavily its natural choice.
    Kind of apples and oranges. Aztec, Egyptian god etc aren't merely other versions of the Greek Pantheon. It's no different than having multiple alien species.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Who are these may I ask?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    Would like to see Norse, Japanese & African mythology explored.
    So would I, but they'd have to trough a re-imaginang similar to the Greeks in WW, IMHO.

Also, how much of a hornets nest is it to use the Hindu pantheon is it? (Since hinduism is a religion that stood till today and is still practiced)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who are these may I ask?
    Cadre of the Immortal

BANNED

Don't use the mythologies. Instead use the archetypes from mythologies to create characters.

I loved when Grant explored the Aztec mythology during his JLA run and with the character Aztek.

I want to see Superman meet Gilgamesh. The most iconic modern hero meeting the first epic hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I loved when Grant explored the Aztec mythology during his JLA run and with the character Aztek.
    I've been thinking of if they could make a new character to explore this with. I was interested in a teenager who is part of a line of magic Aztec warriors.

Astonishing Member

If we are going to use myths- I want US ones.

Paul Bunyan
    Johnny Appleseed
    Daniel Boone
    Davy Crockett
    Uncle Sam
    John Henry

BANNED

Well all of them would be nice to see once or twice, not that they need to be part of anything major, but seeing them represented would be very nice... especially if DC continues the idea of revamping them to fit modern times like Azzarello's various artistic collaborators did.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    If we are going to use myths- I want US ones.

Paul Bunyan
    Johnny Appleseed
    Daniel Boone
    Davy Crockett
    Uncle Sam
    John Henry
    Thanks for reminding me of the abomination that was Ostrander's Patriot...

Well, Im a bit torn on the topic myself.

DC's entire mystical cosmology is a really weird mess. You have christian angels and demons, Greek myths, Egyptian gods, New Gods, and gods from other mythologies pop up once in a while as well. And then there's new characters and concepts that come from those, like Trigon, Etrigan, Dr. Fate, ect. And then the weird universal forces like the Red and the Green. So....how many creation myths are we working with here? How many sun gods and gods of war and gods of toe nail clippings and whatever else? And then there's the giant hand at the beginning of the universe, gods from other planets who have shown up (X'hal, Rao). Are imps and elves and leprechauns really 5th dimensional imps, as some stories say, or are they creatures of magic and myth, as other stories say? What about the Endless? What about Uncle Sam? Is he really the manifestation of American patriotism, and if so how does he and those like him fit into things?

And so on and so forth.

For the most part, this is a non-issue. I just roll with whatever the story in my hands tells me and I dont worry much about the wider DCU or the contradictions that crop up. But the rest of the universe is fairly well defined, whereas the myths are just all over the place.

So before DC started playing around with other mythologies (more than they already do) I'd like to see some sort of effort put into smoothing all that out and coming up with a explanation for how all these beings, who largely overlap each other, co-exist. Are they all just manifestations of the Source playing pretend? Are they reflections of each other, like the Roman and Greek gods were portrayed for a time in Wonder Woman? Independent agents who all work with and/or against each other? Are they multiversal or limited to just one reality (we know the New Gods cross dimensional borders but what about the rest?) Are the New Gods really what came after the Norse Ragnarok, as Kirby originally conceived, or what? Just what, exactly, is going on? Can all of these conflicting myths even be tied together, no matter how loosely?

All that said, I'd like to see figures from folklore brought into the DCU. Paul Bunyan, John Henry, Johnny Appleseed, Pescos Bill.....and that's just in America, there are tons of fascinating folk heroes (and villains) from all corners of the world who could show up in the DCU.

As for gods.....Chinese myth is something I know very little about but always found interesting. Aztec and other Central American mythologies are full of great characters, and I'd love to see what could be done with the Norse pantheon, even if that is overdone already in the comics industry.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Well, Im a bit torn on the topic myself.

DC's entire mystical cosmology is a really weird mess. You have christian angels and demons, Greek myths, Egyptian gods, New Gods, and gods from other mythologies pop up once in a while as well. And then there's new characters and concepts that come from those, like Trigon, Etrigan, Dr. Fate, ect. And then the weird universal forces like the Red and the Green. So....how many creation myths are we working with here? How many sun gods and gods of war and gods of toe nail clippings and whatever else? And then there's the giant hand at the beginning of the universe, gods from other planets who have shown up (X'hal, Rao). Are imps and elves and leprechauns really 5th dimensional imps, as some stories say, or are they creatures of magic and myth, as other stories say? What about the Endless? What about Uncle Sam? Is he really the manifestation of American patriotism, and if so how does he and those like him fit into things?

And so on and so forth.

For the most part, this is a non-issue. I just roll with whatever the story in my hands tells me and I dont worry much about the wider DCU or the contradictions that crop up. But the rest of the universe is fairly well defined, whereas the myths are just all over the place.

So before DC started playing around with other mythologies (more than they already do) I'd like to see some sort of effort put into smoothing all that out and coming up with a explanation for how all these beings, who largely overlap each other, co-exist. Are they all just manifestations of the Source playing pretend? Are they reflections of each other, like the Roman and Greek gods were portrayed for a time in Wonder Woman? Independent agents who all work with and/or against each other? Are they multiversal or limited to just one reality (we know the New Gods cross dimensional borders but what about the rest?) Are the New Gods really what came after the Norse Ragnarok, as Kirby originally conceived, or what? Just what, exactly, is going on? Can all of these conflicting myths even be tied together, no matter how loosely?

All that said, I'd like to see figures from folklore brought into the DCU. Paul Bunyan, John Henry, Johnny Appleseed, Pescos Bill.....and that's just in America, there are tons of fascinating folk heroes (and villains) from all corners of the world who could show up in the DCU.

As for gods.....Chinese myth is something I know very little about but always found interesting. Aztec and other Central American mythologies are full of great characters, and I'd love to see what could be done with the Norse pantheon, even if that is overdone already in the comics industry.
    I think stuff like this works when you accept that some stories in the DCU are self contained even if they are part of the same universe.