Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I would think these speculators already learned to not do it again...
    And you would be wrong. Speculators are like a dog who gets sprayed by a skunk. No matter how many times they get sprayed they will always chase after a skunk every time they see one. And crappy fake @$$ reality TV shows like COMIC BOOK MEN continue to perpetrate the myth that most comics published over the last 44 years are worth something and that comic shops are willing to buy their crap.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    And you would be wrong. Speculators are like a dog who gets sprayed by a skunk. No matter how many times they get sprayed they will always chase after a skunk every time they see one. And crappy fake @$$ reality TV shows like COMIC BOOK MEN continue to perpetrate the myth that most comics published over the last 44 years are worth something and that comic shops are willing to buy their crap.
    For a guy who (supposedly) works at a comic book store, you sure hate everything about comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    For a guy who (supposedly) works at a comic book store, you sure hate everything about comics.
    1. I used to work at a comic shop. Our shop went out of business last year in October.

2. I don't "hate everything about comics". However, I hate a number of things about the CURRENT/MODERN comic book industry, especially what the Big 2 have become. I hate that the industry keeps repeating the same damn stupid mistakes from the past.

3. I keep 100% real with you guys when it comes to the retailer side of the business. If you or anyone considers my open and honest frank statements about the retail side is me "hating" in everything about comics, then so be it.

Amazing Member

Comic books themselves just need better marketing. They regularly get their rears handed to them by other mediums because of the ridiculous practices. We are in the modern age, distribution is going higher and higher as the day goes on, MARKET THE ACTUAL BOOKS!

But some people are simply to harsh and being modernist critics for their own good. Being behind the times or attacking the system for your own tastes don't make anyone in this thread look good. It looks childish, but after all that's what internet culture dictates. I had hope some of them wouldn't follow on this new forum, but oh well. Maybe some of which will learn.

Either way I personally dig Rocket Raccoon, and am totally behind them pushing more characters to at least short term solos to see what they can do. Even though until comic company's start marketing better, the majority of new fans of the characters are not going to shift over to the original source. That being said even though the marketing is flawed, i'm sure Marvel is doing plenty fine with the success of their secondary products and decent enough with their primary products that there's no real concern for a major intervention. Since it really could be a whole lot worse than currently is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Quoted for the hard honest truth.
    Not 99.9%. A lot of people in the world have televisions, newspapers and internet. Besides, when a superhero is being filmed, people already have an idea that those superhero films come from comics. But I would say most of them do not know if the superheroes are from DC or Marvel or any other comic company.

I believe that some who watch superhero movies, especially those who like the superhero will try to check online or even buy a book. Just like movies that are novel based like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, etc.

Amazing Spider-man #1 did well and I believe the movie helped it, little or big.

The Guradians od the Galaxy have been always advertised and people who don't know them would know them a bit.

BANNED

We'll see how Storm #1 will sell.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    We'll see how Storm #1 will sell.
    It's completely unimportant how well #1 sells. It's a #1, it'll sell great. What you really want to know is how well #6 will sell.

Not 99.9%. A lot of people in the world have televisions, newspapers and internet. Besides, when a superhero is being filmed, people already have an idea that those superhero films come from comics. But I would say most of them do not know if the superheroes are from DC or Marvel or any other comic company.
    Guardians Of The Galaxy is not a superhero film, it doesn't have anything in it that mainstream audiences can recognise as a superhero.

And even if they are vaguely aware that there is or was a GotG comic, they most certainly will not know that Marvel just launched a Rocket Raccoon comic.
    Last edited by Carabas; 06-13-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

300k is a whole lot of preorders for a character like Rocket. I'm sure that sales will drop pretty quickly as the series goes on but even if it levels at 10% of that initial figure it would be considered a success.
    Me, I cant wait to get my hands on it. One of my favorite characters in the hands of one of my favourite artists. I have been waiting for Skottie Young interiors of a proper Marvel book for a while. Should be a blast!

It's rather sad how many people are hoping for failure. Wouldn't you guys want for comics to succeed? Baffling.

Rocket Raccoon love is spreading like wildfire and he is becoming a hit, at least right now, with the hype for the movie. And I know all those furry fans out there are going to be all over that book as well. The little guy is basically bringing in a wider fanbase than the comic core audience, and that can only be a good thing for comics in general.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe some Disney exec is behind this, thinking rocket can be a big character. Maybe the retailers are getting some incentive we don't know about. Who knows? The subscription service may be giving these way as part of some sort of package.

Ultimate Member

I won't be surprised if RR's book is a hit.

Harley Quinn and Deadpool's success has proven (without doubt) that there's a market for off-beat "fun" characters.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's completely unimportant how well #1 sells. It's a #1, it'll sell great. What you really want to know is how well #6 will sell.
    Not all #1's sell great these days.

I don't think anyone is expecting Rocket Raccoon to be selling anything more than 25,000 per issue 6 months down the line. But getting something hip like Loot Crate involved with getting comics out there (and paying for them!) can only be a good thing.

Ultimate Member

I don't think anyone is expecting Rocket Raccoon to be selling anything more than 25,000 per issue 6 months down the line. But getting something hip like Loot Crate involved with getting comics out there (and paying for them!) can only be a good thing.
    Quoted for truth. A lot of All New Marvel NOW first issues haven't sold great.

If comics can somehow be distributed through other major channels (apart from the direct market) then it's all well and good.

More sales are better for the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    It's rather sad how many people are hoping for failure. Wouldn't you guys want for comics to succeed? Baffling.

Rocket Raccoon love is spreading like wildfire and he is becoming a hit, at least right now, with the hype for the movie. And I know all those furry fans out there are going to be all over that book as well. The little guy is basically bringing in a wider fanbase than the comic core audience, and that can only be a good thing for comics in general.
    I doubt that anyone hopes that RR will fail, but some people are trying to be realistic. And realistically speaking it doesn't look very good.

BANNED

True!

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quoted for truth. A lot of All New Marvel NOW first issues haven't sold great.

If comics can somehow be distributed through other major channels (apart from the direct market) then it's all well and good.

More sales are better for the industry.
    Usually, #1s sell more than 40k copies and perhaps 60k-1q00k+ for popular characters (like Hulk, Wolverine, etc whose comics have been rebooted). But Rocket Raccoon's #1 at more than 300,000 copies is a huge success already, no matter how low the next issues will be ( which I don't think will happen but will sell an average of 25,00-30,000k per month). But I think with that huge sale for #1, Rocket Racoon #2 should sell more than 80,000 copies which is still huge.