Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I think I'm more sarcastic in real life.
    Mainly because I've learned that sarcasm doesn't translate well online without a disclaimer.
    I would say this describes me as well. It's a battle to keep my sarcasm at bay sometimes.

BANNED

I don't think it's so much that anonymity makes people into monsters, but just that most of the subtleties of face to face communication can't really be duplicated online, so people have to be much more blunt and vocal to get their point across. And I'm sure we've all had to deal with people in our lives who could just come off as unrelentingly rude and hostile without having to say a word, and that is a lot more uncomfortable than anything you could ever come across online.

BANNED

Well, there's online and there's CBR. You have to walk on eggshells a bit at CBR. A lot of otherwise productive posters have been banned for losing their temper, even though it was usually done in the face of extreme fuckery, idiocy and trolling. To avoid going that route, if I make an emotional post, I'll go back and reread it and then edit it to be CBR-friendly. So I'm more polite here than in real life. Otherwise it's about equal.

Boisterously Confused

I'd call it a wash. IRL, peoples' body language cues me to dial it back. Here, I don't type very fast, and tend to proof-read my posts because don't like misspelling or using bad grammar, so those two things make me think a bit more about what I'm saying. Either way, I say a lot less than I think. If I'm ever hit with Asperger's, I may as well put in an order for dentures with my dentist.

BANNED

Also more sarcastic...

I also tend to weigh my words more than in a real conversation because forum rules and mods... A casual remark nobody in real life is going to think twice about can get you banned.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I try to be as polite and respectful to others as I can be, both in-real life and online, but sometimes I'm a lot more careful and concerned about what I say on-line then I am in real life because I'm not as spontaneous.
    Yeah, that's a thing I've never understood. How people can rage and be angry enough to get banned from a forum. You have all the time in the world to formulate a response to someone else's posts. There is no spontaneity. No need for knee jerk reactions. Take your time, make the comment you want without the snarky, angry, dismissive, condescending posts that I usually see blossom into full blown heated arguments that get people angry and banned.

To the original poster ... I may get into conversations that I wouldn't otherwise in a face to face conversation. I don't go about the conversation any different than I would face to face. I just don't have any investment in anyone online. So at the end of the conversation someone is mad at me or doesn't like me, no skin off my teeth. (Especially if I know I comported myself well.) But face to face I have to deal with how that person feels about me in life, whether at home, or work, or other social settings.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

Exactly the opposite. I'm FAR more likely to tell you to go fuck yourself in person than I am online.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I don't think I am. I hope not anyway as I always try not to be rude.

I say how I think it is on CBR more than I would real life. Or if I think something is stupid I will generally offer an opinion. I'm not like that in real life
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

BANNED

I'd say the same, the difference being all of the odd/geeky/potentially offensive discussions I have on here are either of little interest to those around me or are inappropriate/potentially damaging to a relationship (see any religion/politics discussion, my favorites). So being able to engage and continue means I probably come off as more rude/obnoxious than I appear to those who interact with the offline me.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Also more sarcastic...

I also tend to weigh my words more than in a real conversation because forum rules and mods... A casual remark nobody in real life is going to think twice about can get you banned.
    It's an interesting thing. I also say things in real life that I might not here, because - just like body language holds me back from speaking - I count on my body language and tone to convey non-offensive intent IRL.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Nah, I'm probably more abrasive online. In fact, there's probably a difference in my online presence/personality between the CBR Community board and the DC Comics one. It's only a couple of things that tend to get my goat up on here but when they do they do. Thing is, I also hate cyber bullying so I've never let it get offensive and risked a ban/warning. I just don't believe in that kind of thing. I've only been warned once, quite rightfully for breaking a forum rule without realizing it.

Also, I don't know any Green Lantern fans in my personal life (for an example) so the potential of getting narky with fans of different GL's has never presented itself. It's a totally different social situation on here.

I have to worry about getting banned here. In real life I'm far more willing to see how far people I dislike really want to take an argument.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

In my experience, I've seen a lot more trolls on the internet than in real life. Not so much on this forum, but in the comments section for articles on Yahoo! News, I see so much hate and vitriol, often from people who won't even give their real names. Maybe that's why it's different here. We may not give our real names, but we do get to know each other, so some arguments get heated, but we don't get mean-spirited toward each other for the most part.

As for myself, I will admit that there are a few things I might say online that I wouldn't have the balls to say in person. On the other hand, I usually try to proof-read what I post, and avoid any spelling, grammar or punctuation errors. I try my best to make clear what I want to say and indicate any sarcasm, possibly with a smiley.

BANNED

When I disagree with someone in real life I explain why I think they are wrong.

When I disagree with someone online I tell them why they are wrong.

I am a flawed character.