Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Default My problem with DC

I know many of us have major gripes with DC, but we still love the company at the same time. I love DC comics with a passion, and I will defend it to no end. But DC does do things that make me angry as hell, e.g. Wally West situation. But I still love it. My main problem is that I feel like DC needs better writers, needs to treat other character that aren't Batman with love, more diversity, and new blood (new writers), and better marketing.

See I feel like DC has wasted a lot of opportunities with their characters. In an era where feminism is getting more love world wide a character like Wonder Woman should be the face of that. DC should really market off of that, and make her actually great, and play off of her core values. Play off of what makes her such a great character, and make her more marketable to women of all ages. But that doesn't happen. She has only one solo book out, which in my opinion isn't even good. They should really put top tier/capable writers on her, but that isn't happening anytime soon. An animated film would do her justice but that isn't happening anytime soon. It's just a mess. Don't get me started on Superman/Wonder Woman, because the book just feels like Diana is going along with whatever is happening in Clark's life.

The same can be said for Superman. I feel like the direction there is really horrible. The only consistent book from that line is Action Comics, and I feel like Truth has veered that off a little. Which in all honestly, I feel was a wasted opportunity, because you had Superman in a position where he could tackle real life issues, but it copped out. They need to show off more of what really makes Superman good, and him sticking up for the little man, and actually showing off how human he is. Not only that show off how he really affects the people around him (which another person actually came up with). But again wasted opportunities.

Let's not get started on the abomination that is the Teen Titans, and how DC basically ruined their chances at a younger population. They have a lot of characters that they can use, and if marketed well could be as big as Miles Morals, and Kamala Khan. For example: Blue Beetle , Static, Power Girl, Spoiler, Tim Drake, Bunker, Vibe, Danica Williams, Rocket, Emiko, Superboy, Supergirl. But that is all wasted potential there, because DC doesn't know how to market to a younger audience.

I'm gonna finish with my rambling, if they makes sense to anyone, share what you have to say about what I said, or anything that DC is failing at in your opinion.

Also what happened to that Supergirl book we were promised? And what happened to Vibe, and Larfleeze? Especially Vibe.

Oh yeah, the lack of a stable Magic, and Cosmic aspect within DC is really sad.

But seriously, where's Vibe?

Boisterously Confused

Honestly, I think what seems to be a handicap for Marvel is actually an advantage the DCU lacks.

Marvel has no clearly dominant character.

Sure, Spider-Man and Wolverine may be the most popular, but the properties are scattered all to hell and gone with different movie studios and whatnot, preventing Marvel from getting all the benefit out of promoting some of its most powerful brands. So, it's hard to create a focused strategy for exploiting a particular character's full potential, encouraging some investment in other characters.

At DC, the execs have enough control over the characters (and their profits) that they can focus on pushing one character they know outperforms all the others.

I actually think this was one of the reasons Marvel Studios was able to build such a tight, well planned Phase 1 of their films. They weren't having to answer why they weren't using Spider-Man to draw people to The Incredible Hulk. They were able to focus on the argument that they had to focus on making a great film to sell these lesser known characters. I imagine some of that happens (to a lesser degree, and in a different form) in the comics as well.

I think you hit the nail on the head on what's been wrong with DC since the 2011 reboot. In addition to Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Teen Titans, I also feel that Earth-2 was DC's biggest wasted opportunity since it was a more diverse universe. Before it got badly derailed by DC editorial into Ultimate Marvel territory, originally Earth-2 had age diversity with the Justice Society, it allowed their heroes (including the Trinity) to marry their iconic love interests and have children, and it actually allowed women to succeed the Trinity. The only positive development I saw for Earth-2 in the New 52 was more racial diversity, but that's about it. Beyond that, everyone involved with Earth-2 missed the point of Earth-2 and ruined the franchise beyond repair.

Fantastic Member

I wouldn't say feminism is getting a lot love but they are getting a lot people annoyed I mean a lot people

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post

I'm gonna finish with my rambling, if they makes sense to anyone, share what you have to say about what I said, or anything that DC is failing at in your opinion.

Also what happened to that Supergirl book we were promised? And what happened to Vibe, and Larfleeze? Especially Vibe.

Oh yeah, the lack of a stable Magic, and Cosmic aspect within DC is really sad.

But seriously, where's Vibe?
    Supergirl is coming sooner than later. I wouldn't worry about her.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasBlake View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head on what's been wrong with DC since the 2011 reboot. In addition to Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Teen Titans, I also feel that Earth-2 was DC's biggest wasted opportunity since it was a more diverse universe. Before it got badly derailed by DC editorial into Ultimate Marvel territory, originally Earth-2 had age diversity with the Justice Society, it allowed their heroes (including the Trinity) to marry their iconic love interests and have children, and it actually allowed women to succeed the Trinity. The only positive development I saw for Earth-2 in the New 52 was more racial diversity, but that's about it. Beyond that, everyone involved with Earth-2 missed the point of Earth-2 and ruined the franchise beyond repair.
    Side note, wasn't Earth 2 selling in or near the top 10 for a brief time? They could've taken advantage of that. But they drove James Robinson away. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked Taylor's run more, but the book sold better under Robinson, and since his departure to Marvel, the E2 franchise has tanked.

Likewise, Aquaman was selling more than an Aquaman title probably ever has...and then some genius higher up said that Johns can only write 1-2 books a month max. Sales went down (again, Jeff Parker did great, but Geoff had that book moving great numbers).

Quote Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
    I wouldn't say feminism is getting a lot love but they are getting a lot people annoyed I mean a lot people
    I dont think other than the gamergate people and mras feminism annoys anyone.
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Superman is depowered
    Batman got replaced
    Wonder Woman is in hiding with that horrible costume
    Flash and Green Lantern bad writing
    that's the real problems DC has. They have the most recognizable heroes in the world and they go out of their way to ruin them over and over again. It really just comes down to the those in power at DC running from what makes the company great. Just really bad at running the company.

I feel like the problem is due to the success of the recent batman and superman movies dc has been leaning on dark/gritty which plagued alot of new 52 titles. Also they lean too heavy on nostalgia. They need a better pr person too because alot of the dc you titles that where actually cool didnt really take because the audience wasnt there
    Monica Rambeau is the queen of my heart and life. Bow down to her then give her all your money.

Nostagia leads to stagnation and over glorifying the past. The past sucked, the present sucks, and the future will suck. Take off the rose colored glasses and don't let that jerk nostalgia trick you into thinking life was better than it really was. If 20 years from now I'm of those people that say music, tv, videogames etc. was better back in my day please hit me in the knee caps with a bat.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    Side note, wasn't Earth 2 selling in or near the top 10 for a brief time? They could've taken advantage of that. But they drove James Robinson away. Don't get me wrong, I actually liked Taylor's run more, but the book sold better under Robinson, and since his departure to Marvel, the E2 franchise has tanked.

Likewise, Aquaman was selling more than an Aquaman title probably ever has...and then some genius higher up said that Johns can only write 1-2 books a month max. Sales went down (again, Jeff Parker did great, but Geoff had that book moving great numbers).
    I would not get too mad about that. Johns should not have to write more than half the books at DC-if you go out and look for talent of all races & sexes. Not everybody likes Johns (especially John Stewart fans). I would want Johns doing his BEST on 1-2 books versus decent on 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Superman is depowered
    Batman got replaced
    Wonder Woman is in hiding with that horrible costume
    Flash and Green Lantern bad writing
    that's the real problems DC has. They have the most recognizable heroes in the world and they go out of their way to ruin them over and over again. It really just comes down to the those in power at DC running from what makes the company great. Just really bad at running the company.
    The Wonder Woman line is hilarious.
    I feel with Superman, he's more like how he was when he was first created, and during the beginning of Morrison's Action Comics run.
    The only thing that DC needs to add is the Man part of him and emphasize that.

After reading Justice League: The Darkseid War Green Lantern today, I was upset at how mediocre Green Lantern is right now. That was just a preview of the goodness that Green Lantern can be.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaster86 View Post
    Feminism is growing. Don't mind those twitter, and tumblr feminists.
    Earth 2 is just, sad.
    The only word to really describe it.
    It had a lot of potential, but it was ruined by editorial, and made to be something wack.
    The involvement of a new Bat character and more Kryptonians just ruined what was once full of potential.
    After looking back I feel like Tom Taylor's job didn't do it any more Justice.

I feel like they need to re-brand it starting with the Trinity, (replace Dr. Fate with Hawkgirl) and have the others do their own thing. I love Val Zod though, mainly due to the day Jimenez is drawing him, and redesigned him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nipower888 View Post
    I feel like the problem is due to the success of the recent batman and superman movies dc has been leaning on dark/gritty which plagued alot of new 52 titles. Also they lean too heavy on nostalgia. They need a better pr person too because alot of the dc you titles that where actually cool didnt really take because the audience wasnt there
    They also didn't market those titles, which is part of how you initiate interest in these books. There's been more buzz about Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns III than there's been any buzz for Prez, Black Canary, or even Cyborg who is an iconic character.

Another problem I have with DC is they do not know how to hold onto the talent they have.
    Charles Soule, Jeff Lemire, Andrea Sorrentino, Kenneth Rocafort. All left.
    DC really needs to learn how to keep the good talent that they have, and build strong relationships with them.
    Hell if they want to mold less seasoned/quality writers like Meredith Finch, or Daniel H. Wilson. I think they should really have them as Co-Writers, where they can bounce ideas off of other writers, or maybe put them on Mini-Series instead of brands they would like to grow.

And editorial needs to chill, or just fix themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post

It was selling well in the beginning because it was being developed as a modern Justice Society book by James Robinson. But then editorial priorities conflicted with Robinson's and he ragequit the title. At this point, I'm convinced it's going to take a clean reboot of Earth-2 to bring it back to where it was selling under Robinson, or better yet, under Geoff Johns when he wrote the Justice Society of America pre-Flashpoint. I think before that can happen though, DC needs to replace Mike Cotton and Eddie Berganza with editors who are actually invested in the the Justice Society characters.

They also didn't market those titles, which is part of how you initiate interest in these books. There's been more buzz about Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns III than there's been any buzz for Prez, Black Canary, or even Cyborg who is an iconic character.
    I keep saying thing, but people don't want to listen.
    DC does not know how to market lesser brands right.
    Look at the marketing for DC You vs ANAD Marvel.
    It ia pathetic in comparison.

It was selling well in the beginning because it was being developed as a modern Justice Society book by James Robinson. But then editorial priorities conflicted with Robinson's and he ragequit the title. At this point, I'm convinced it's going to take a clean reboot of Earth-2 to bring it back to where it was selling under Robinson, or better yet, under Geoff Johns when he wrote the Justice Society of America pre-Flashpoint. I think before that can happen though, DC needs to replace Mike Cotton and Eddie Berganza with editors who are actually invested in the the Justice Society characters.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I would not get too mad about that. Johns should not have to write more than half the books at DC-if you go out and look for talent of all races & sexes. Not everybody likes Johns (especially John Stewart fans). I would want Johns doing his BEST on 1-2 books versus decent on 15.
    You really can't have Geoff Johns do everything at DC.
    If he has to dip his hands into things in order to for titles to be good, or sell well, then that's a huge problem.