Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    When we reach the point where you're saying that a man giving his life to save the lives of his children was for "no real purpose"...

Nevermind. You're right. The daughter of Spider-Man wearing a modified costume of her father's clone is far better than the daughter of Spider-Man wearing a modified costume of her father's costume. Because... She wore it longer? And... Um... Reasons. :-/
    Allow me to clarify. Peter giving his life for his children in-universe, means something, but in the context of the story, what did it do? It alienated fans of the character, it alienated the creators of the character to they point they did everything short of pulling out a Leonard/Howard the duck switcheroo to say 'this isn't our character', and gave new readers a rather inaccurate view of who she is (especially since as I mentioned before, the story where Peter died was in the same issue as a team-up with Ms. Marvel - I rather think a more classic-flavoured Spider-Girl story would have resonated more with the crossover audience). And why did this happen? Well, let's be honest the real reason is because Marvel decided controversy would be better (the same reason why the Amazing Friends, Spider-Man Unlimited, and the Hostess Spidey got killed). So Mayday went through the trite 'ooh she's really gonna kill this guy, see how vengeful she is!' plotline that we all knew was going to end with her deciding to take the high road like her father taught her. Because apparently that was the only way to secure her a place in Web Warriors, never mind that she was after the Ultimate Spider-Men, probably the most successful spin-off of Spider-Man, and one of the most successful superheroines Marvel created. And yes, even had a Halloween Costume. So I think it would have been possible for her to have made a big enough impact with the readers for her to reappear in Web Warriors, if that was the real reason for her plotline in Spider-Verse.
    Nope. It's regained right back and even stronger. Because there's Uncle Ben-- RIGHT THERE-- smiling on too.
    I can't believe I have to ask this but, you do know that Ben Reilly & Ben Parker are two different characters, right?
    She's the girl.
    You know, avoiding 'She's Spider-Man, only as a girl' is why Frenz gave Mayday Reilly's costume in the first place.
    Yup!
    Yeah, it's great to see creative people managing to fix flawed concepts. Just like Spider-Gwen's costume. And Silk's characterisation.
    Got it. You've been to TV tropes and blah, blah, blah...

You do know it's totally okay to say "I don't like it."
    Apparently not, since this whole derail started because somebody did that:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    As a fan of Mayday, I'm glad to see her surviving Secret Wars and Spider-verse, and back in publication, but I am also worried about her being written by another writer that isn't Tom Defalco. I mean we all know what happen the Last time someone else wrote Mayday.
    No criticism of you, personally, just your writing. And then one thing lead to another.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonmukluk View Post
    Allow me to clarify. Peter giving his life for his children in-universe, means something.
    Glad we agree.
    ...but in the context of the story, what did it do?
    In the context of the story? He gave his life to save his children.
    It alienated fans of the character, it alienated...
    That's not the "context of the story".
    And why did this happen? Well, let's be honest the real reason is because Marvel decided...
    When you get to the "Marvel decided..." part of this, you're now stretching into the "I, Yvonmukluk would like to ascribe motivations to a company" part of the tirade. And, c'mon, by that point we're out of the story, off the map, and off in message-board-conspiracy-land.
    I can't believe I have to ask this but, you do know that Ben Reilly & Ben Parker are two different characters, right?
    So lovely talking with you.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The memes should be a zany phenomenon in the 60's animated universe. Instance where time stands still and characters have weird epiphanies.
    That post gave me happiness.

Incredible Member

Ahem. Just my opinion.

uh6bq.jpg

BANNED

When we reach the point where you're saying that a man giving his life to save the lives of his children was for "no real purpose"...

Nevermind. You're right. The daughter of Spider-Man wearing a modified costume of her father's clone is far better than the daughter of Spider-Man wearing a modified costume of her father's costume. Because... She wore it longer? And... Um... Reasons. :-/
    This argument seems of an easy conclusion to me. Is it "far better"? In lieu of recent events, no, because her father giving his life is more impactfull. Let`s not lose sight that the reason she initially picked Reilly`s costume comes from a similar character bit. Marvel MC2 was created after the events of the Clone Saga as an organic sequel and May grew up hearing the story of the sacrífice of her "uncle" from Peter, whose life was saved by the man May chose to honor. Whether costume she dons, it comes from the same trait of honoring a sacrífice.

I`d have liked something written in the event about May talking about her uncle Ben, which was Reilly, particularly because another version was around, but that`s another story.

Spectacular Member

Got it. You've been to TV tropes and blah, blah, blah...

You do know it's totally okay to say "I don't like it."
    I've been privileged to go to good schools, and taught to back up opinions. Saying "I like it" or "I don't like it" without providing why shuts down exchanges and sharing.

You do know it's totally okay for readers to critique story beats Sometimes a critique is just a critique. May and Benjy needed a literal deus ex machina to save them.

Moving to the thread's subject:

Web Warriors #1 convinced me to put it on my pull list for the next few issues. The first issue was fun, especially the multiverse villains teaming up. It feels like an extension of Secret Wars as well as Spider-Verse. But I hope Web Warriors won't become meta in-joke universe of the month. Team dynamics interest me as a reader more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahul View Post
    Ahem. Just my opinion.

uh6bq.jpg
    I can't look at that and not hear Josh Keaton.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    May and Benjy needed a literal deus ex machina to save them..
    No. They needed their dad to save them. And he did. He bought them time.
    Billy showing up isn't a deux ex machina for a couple of reasons.
    A big one being that Billy's quest was set up and in play. It didn't come out of nowhere.
    Another, May & Benjy were clear of the house, they had distance on Daemos (bought to them by their father), they could've run-- and, yes, Daemos might have hunted them down eventually-- but we won't know because Billy showed up.