Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

In the battle of new franchise games (ok one new franchise game starter) , Horizon Zero Dawn has defeated Zelda. According to the UK chart listed. What also helped was Zero Dawn launched on Tuesday.

For Sony , they and Guerrilla Games gambled that Zero Dawn would become a new huge IP. It appears that gamble paid off as this was the biggest new selling IP in PS4 history .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    In the battle of new franchise games (ok one new franchise game starter) , Horizon Zero Dawn has defeated Zelda. According to the UK chart listed. What also helped was Zero Dawn launched on Tuesday.

For Sony , they and Guerrilla Games gambled that Zero Dawn would become a new huge IP. It appears that gamble paid off as this was the biggest new selling IP in PS4 history .
    Knack beat Mario 3D world in the UK.....for 2 weeks, after that sales fell off for knack while Mario's sales continued.
    Calling this a defeat is ridiculous since, 1, this was only in the UK, and 2, Horizon wont maintain the momentum while Zelda likely will. Check back in 6 months and we will see who won

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Knack beat Mario 3D world in the UK.....for 2 weeks, after that sales fell off for knack while Mario's sales continued.
    Calling this a defeat is ridiculous since, 1, this was only in the UK, and 2, Horizon wont maintain the momentum while Zelda likely will. Check back in 6 months and we will see who won
    What will hurt sales for Zelda (or slow them) will be the releases of Nintendo Switch units . Super Mario 3D world was helped by releasing on the WiiU and that one came after a year for the WiiU's release. Here those wanting a Switch may hold off and wait to buy Zelda.

Also its not to blast Zelda or Nintendo , as you seem to be racing to believe. It helped that Sony has the systems in place to launch a big game and get the sales from it now. Its why many are reporting this is Sony's 1st new IP launch (and a character that will span many games and become like Nathan Drake...a selling point) for them now.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Extraordinary Member

What will hurt sales for Zelda (or slow them) will be the releases of Nintendo Switch units . Super Mario 3D world was helped by releasing on the WiiU and that one came after a year for the WiiU's release. Here those wanting a Switch may hold off and wait to buy Zelda.

Also its not to blast Zelda or Nintendo , as you seem to be racing to believe. It helped that Sony has the systems in place to launch a big game and get the sales from it now. Its why many are reporting this is Sony's 1st new IP launch (and a character that will span many games and become like Nathan Drake...a selling point) for them now.
    Not sure why they didn't wait to release the Switch until at least Zelda AND Splatoon were ready.

There are a lot of reviewers saying wait until there are more games.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Not sure why they didn't wait to release the Switch until at least Zelda AND Splatoon were ready.

There are a lot of reviewers saying wait until there are more games.
    Or wait til there was more units ready in a way. Like for Christmas 2017. I even said they could have promoted Zelda and SplatToon heavy over the year towards that. Christmas is always considered a HUGE shopping deal for game buyers. Instead they seemed to push the machine out earlier. Maybe it was the fact they didn't want it around the X-Box Scorpio coming.

But yeah I have seen reviewers claim the Switch is basically a Zelda machine lol.

Extraordinary Member

On the bright side, the Nintendo have better launch games available than the PS2 did.

That system didn't have a single decent game at lunch. What it DID have was a DVD dirve in the bad old days before everybody had a DVD player and
    streaming didn't exist yet.

It was literally "Buy a PS2, rent Karate Flicks, wait for decent games to come out."

At least the Switch has ONE great game at launch.

Everyone I know who bought a Nintendo Switch absolutely loves it; I wish I would have gotten one. Yeah, it would be nice if there were more games available at launch. But, it's not like more amazing games aren't coming in the next few months, and being able to play Zelda right now is better than not being able to play Zelda right now

It seems like the Switch is by far the best bang for your buck when compared to other consoles and their ludicrous price tags.

On the bright side, the Nintendo have better launch games available than the PS2 did.

That system didn't have a single decent game at lunch. What it DID have was a DVD dirve in the bad old days before everybody had a DVD player and

It was literally "Buy a PS2, rent Karate Flicks, wait for decent games to come out."

Here was the list of PS2 games at launch....in America.

Armored Core 2
    DOA2: Hardcore
    Dynasty Warriors 2
    ESPN International Track & Field
    ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
    Eternal Ring
    Evergrace
    FantaVision
    Gungriffon Blaze
    Madden NFL 2001
    Midnight Club: Street Racing
    NHL 2001
    Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
    Q-Ball: Billiards Master
    Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
    Ridge Racer V
    Silent Scope
    Smuggler's Run
    SSX
    Street Fighter EX3
    Summoner
    Swing Away Golf
    Tekken Tag Tournament
    TimeSplitters
    Unreal Tournament
    Wild Wild Racing

Plus several great digital games.

Here was the list of PS2 games at launch....in America.

Armored Core 2
    DOA2: Hardcore
    Dynasty Warriors 2
    ESPN International Track & Field
    ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarding
    Eternal Ring
    Evergrace
    FantaVision
    Gungriffon Blaze
    Madden NFL 2001
    Midnight Club: Street Racing
    NHL 2001
    Orphen: Scion of Sorcery
    Q-Ball: Billiards Master
    Ready 2 Rumble Boxing: Round 2
    Ridge Racer V
    Silent Scope
    Smuggler's Run
    SSX
    Street Fighter EX3
    Summoner
    Swing Away Golf
    Tekken Tag Tournament
    TimeSplitters
    Unreal Tournament
    Wild Wild Racing
    I remember playing a few of these games as a kid and having quite a bit of fun. I will admit most of these game did not age well though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmando7 View Post
    I remember playing a few of these games as a kid and having quite a bit of fun. I will admit most of these game did not age well though.
    I remember playing a number of them. I sadly didn't get Madden 2001 at launch , instead went with NFL Gameday (which sucked) and had to hunt Madden down at various stores. Til I finally got it. Played Tekken Tag with friends and we loved it. We rented Orphan and dear lord did that game suck with the voice acting. I wanted to shoot the screen. (We quit so far in)

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

The Switch is the first video game system that I have bought that I actually fell I am getting my monies worth on in quite some time. As big of a game as BOTW is, and as slow as I am at beating games I will most likely be playing this one for at least the next year if not longer. Also enjoyed what little I have played of Snipper Clips so far.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Extraordinary Member

Nintendo has a very deliberate strategy with the game releases for the Switch. They remember how there were several dozen launch titles for the Wii U, most of which sold poorly because people were concentrating on a few core titles like Mario and Nintendoland, followed by a huge drought which killed the Wii U's momentum for good. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS probably could have been ready for launch, but they were pushed to later in the spring to keep a steady supply of releases coming and avoid long droughts.

Angry Joe discusses how he'd love to do a Review of Zelda since he loves the game. But sadly due to Nintendo's dumb copyright policies with youtube , they can't. Because as this video shows , Joe played 1,2 Switch and kept re-editing the music , a lot of the game footage and more from it. And kept getting flagged. One of the comical things was he got flagged for showing a crystal ball in a scene and a gorilla.

He brings up wanting to get approved by Nintendo to do a review. Contacting those folks who are approved by Nintendo's program to see what he needed to do. He also contacted as he claimed some in Nintendo but never heard back. Finally realizing he'll never get "white listed" or approved to do it. He checked out the Nintendo's Creator program on youtube and learned how its not changed.

But as he points out Nintendo wants an iron grip on what is put out. They have for years and its why Joe , Sterling and others have had videos flagged. Jim Sterling has comically came up with an idea where he gets around it all by having other copyright material , so the companies fight it out. As he said , he did it because of Nintendo's use of copyright on youtube.

In crazy news , Jim Sterling did a write up at his site reviewing the newest Zelda : Breath of the Wild . Sterling as the video details liked the game. He scored the game a 7/10 , and found some things to be repetitive. But overall as his review claims he liked the game. So this pissed off a number of Zelda fans who took down his website and threatened him over it.

And as one fellow reviewer posts to one person , Sterling liked the game. He just found a couple issues with it overall and scored it as a 7/10. The game was ranked at 98% on metacritic and Sterling's review knocked it slightly to a 97% which seems to possibly have fueled some anger maybe.