Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dangleo61288 View Post
    I still stand by my Lois is a Kryptonian idea.
    Oooh, I want to know how you swing that one!

Bumping this thread and shifting the topic only slightly. If you were going to give Lois Lane powers in the new52 that would stick, what would the be? Equal set to Superman? The Psi ones the has been given in Doomed? What perceived positives would come out of them? What negatives?

Probably a controversial opinion, but I would like to see Lois Lane keep superpowers and have them become part of her character. I find that a lot of the time, she has been forced into stories for the sake of being there. If she wasn't the perpetual damsel in distress (when I think damsel in distress, Lois comes to mind pretty quickly), then she'd be more useful in the story and be able to do things to protect herself in the fight. She could be saving civilians instead of taking Superman's focus away from them. I think we are in a time where non-powered supporting casts are much more difficult to put in a story and it takes special effort to include them (Chris Yost's Kaine book was able to use a supporting cast fit into the story well for example) and I feel like the Superman Universe has kind of grown out of it a bit (though Lana has been involved in the action and done well so more stuff like that is fine).

I think that giving Lois powers might be the best way to keep her relevant. People used to think Lois Lane when they thought Superman, but it's got to a point where I don't feel that anymore. Though I'd recommend the Lois Lane one shot that recently came out for those who want to see her in the center of the action instead of damsel. My favourite Lois portrayal was in Smallville, but even then she was kidnapped and knocked out a lot until season 10 when she was more involved in the action. That's my two cents and I understand those who like her without powers, but I feel like she would need them to stay relevant. Or kill her off, I'd find that amusing haha. Yay Cliana! woo! :P
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Quote Originally Posted by UltraWoman View Post
    Bumping this thread and shifting the topic only slightly. If you were going to give Lois Lane powers in the new52 that would stick, what would the be? Equal set to Superman? The Psi ones the has been given in Doomed? What perceived positives would come out of them? What negatives?
    If I were going to give Lois powers that would "stick" -- let's say that means "she will exhibit these powers in every Superman-themed comic published for at least the next two years" -- I think I would give her a somewhat different set than the "standard Kryptonian package deal." That way, whenever she and Clark were out fighting crime together, there would be some things that he could do easily, but she couldn't, and some stuff that she could do with a snap of her fingers, but he couldn't. (Although there might also be some overlap -- for instance, maybe either one of them easily could have knocked a hole through a concrete wall in a hurry, if need be, although they might use different powers to achieve the same result.)

That way, we would avoid the problem of having one of them look utterly redundant. (As in: "Gee, Clark, I think I'll just follow you around for the next couple of months, and practice using my Kryptonian-style powers exactly the same way you use 'em, until I know how to do exactly what you would do in any given emergency!")

I haven't read "Doomed." But I don't know just what powers I would give Lois; there are several possibilities. Heck, maybe I'd give her more-or-less the power-set which he had in his "Electric" days (Superman Red/Superman Blue, back around 1998), and which were approximately the same ones which "Strange Visitor" later demonstrated. That's just a thought which occurred to me as I was typing this paragraph; I don't insist upon it as the only good solution.
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 08-23-2014 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neonrideraryeh View Post
    Probably a controversial opinion, but I would like to see Lois Lane keep superpowers and have them become part of her character. I find that a lot of the time, she has been forced into stories for the sake of being there. If she wasn't the perpetual damsel in distress (when I think damsel in distress, Lois comes to mind pretty quickly), then she'd be more useful in the story and be able to do things to protect herself in the fight. She could be saving civilians instead of taking Superman's focus away from them. I think we are in a time where non-powered supporting casts are much more difficult to put in a story and it takes special effort to include them (Chris Yost's Kaine book was able to use a supporting cast fit into the story well for example) and I feel like the Superman Universe has kind of grown out of it a bit (though Lana has been involved in the action and done well so more stuff like that is fine).

I think that giving Lois powers might be the best way to keep her relevant. People used to think Lois Lane when they thought Superman, but it's got to a point where I don't feel that anymore. Though I'd recommend the Lois Lane one shot that recently came out for those who want to see her in the center of the action instead of damsel. My favourite Lois portrayal was in Smallville, but even then she was kidnapped and knocked out a lot until season 10 when she was more involved in the action. That's my two cents and I understand those who like her without powers, but I feel like she would need them to stay relevant. Or kill her off, I'd find that amusing haha. Yay Cliana! woo! :P
    What Lois Lane needs isn't superpowers but writers who are clever enough to not fall back on tired damsel tropes. If you can cite Lana as an example, and she doesn't have superpowers, you're only proving my point that it's the writers and not Lois who are at fault. Your complaints about Lois on Smallville are similarly misguided since Lois was knocked out less because she lacked powers and more because of the show's need to keep her in the dark about Clark's secret; her status as a secret keeper changed in Season 10.

Lois Lane's role in the Superman mythology is to represent what humanity and what it can accomplish without superpowers and with an openness to Superman's inspirational and aspirational example. Her faith in Superman, when she doesn't know him like Lana did growing up and when she doesn't have superpowers to protect her, is also key to her characterization and part of what makes her, as she is, integral to the Superman myth. Any Superman story that lacks a prominent and consistent touchstone where humanity is concerned is a poor Superman story. Your jokes about killing Lois and linking your feelings about her to supporting another ship (SM/WW) were unnecessary and tacky.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Lois Lane's role in the Superman mythology is to represent what humanity and what it can accomplish without superpowers and with an openness to Superman's inspirational and aspirational example. Her faith in Superman, when she doesn't know him like Lana did growing up and when she doesn't have superpowers to protect her, is also key to her characterization and part of what makes her, as she is, integral to the Superman myth. Any Superman story that lacks a prominent and consistent touchstone where humanity is concerned is a poor Superman story. Your jokes about killing Lois and linking your feelings about her to supporting another ship (SM/WW) were unnecessary and tacky.
    In principle, I tend to agree with you that it's better for Superman's Significant Other to be a "normal human being" than it is for her to be "someone who can give him a real run for his money in an arm-wrestling contest, a la Wonder Woman."

But I can also understand the opposing feeling of: "It would be nice if his love interest had comparable superpowers so that on the comic book page she came across as being something closer to his 'equal.'"

Which probably helps to explain why I've enjoyed some of the old comic book stories in which Lois became temporarily super-powered, and why I enjoyed the "Ultra Woman" episode of "Lois & Clark," and why I would see nothing fundamentally wrong with it if DC decided to "shake things up" by having Lois get her own set of impressive superpowers for a while in the core Superman titles before everything finally reverted back to the Sacred Status Quo. Aside from anything else, her spending months with such powers would make it easier for her to understand the special problems which Clark has to cope with on a daily basis regarding the ethics of using his own powers . . . and the readers would become aware that Lois now had "inside information" on what it felt like to be in his shoes when such problems arise!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    In principle, I tend to agree with you that it's better for Superman's Significant Other to be a "normal human being" than it is for her to be "someone who can give him a real run for his money in an arm-wrestling contest, a la Wonder Woman."

But I can also understand the opposing feeling of: "It would be nice if his love interest had comparable superpowers so that on the comic book page she came across as being something closer to his 'equal.'"

Which probably helps to explain why I've enjoyed some of the old comic book stories in which Lois became temporarily super-powered, and why I enjoyed the "Ultra Woman" episode of "Lois & Clark," and why I would see nothing fundamentally wrong with it if DC decided to "shake things up" by having Lois get her own set of impressive superpowers for a while in the core Superman titles before everything finally reverted back to the Sacred Status Quo. Aside from anything else, her spending months with such powers would make it easier for her to understand the special problems which Clark has to cope with on a daily basis regarding the ethics of using his own powers . . . and the readers would become aware that Lois now had "inside information" on what it felt like to be in his shoes when such problems arise!
    Temporary is fine. Permanently, to me, is not fine.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Your complaints about Lois on Smallville are similarly misguided since Lois was knocked out less because she lacked powers and more because of the show's need to keep her in the dark about Clark's secret; her status as a secret keeper changed in Season 10.
    I know that, I did watch the show after all; which just adds to me thinking that Lois works better knowing the secret because then she can be involved instead of them having to do that to her all the time. If anything the psychic power showing in the current event knowing the secret means she can be involved instead of be on the sidelines. And I feel that having powers means that it's easier for her to be involved, unless they make her Lana's recent portrayal and in the action some other way.

Then in general, I think having powers would make her more interesting because most of the time these days, she hasn't really been. A new take seems like a good idea, but I know people don't like new takes because change is scary round these parts.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Fantastic Member

Oooh, I want to know how you swing that one!
    Like how I would do it? Lois lands on Earth decades before Krypton blew up as part of a space exploration mission and is stuck here. All others from her mission died. She creates several identities to live among humans while she tries to contact Krypton to rescue her. She succeeds in contacting Jor-El who tells her the planet is going to blow. This is how Jor-El knows about Earth and the Sun's effect on Kryptonions. Years later She starts using the Lois identity to get close to Clark. She falls in love with him and wants him to love her for who she is not because is is the only other Krytonian alive. So she doesn't tell him for a while. She helps him under a masked identity.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post

being strong like him doesn't mean she is his equal. being equal doesn't mean having the same power/physical strenght. I don't know why people thinks this way.
    like Batman and Lex doesn't has powers...

powers are good for a short time, but she can be really interesting without them. Writers need to take note from warren ellis Supreme Blue rose, main chracter is a invesgative reporter like lois lane called diana dane. and to think he was interested in writing Superman in the past

Like how I would do it? Lois lands on Earth decades before Krypton blew up as part of a space exploration mission and is stuck here. All others from her mission died. She creates several identities to live among humans while she tries to contact Krypton to rescue her. She succeeds in contacting Jor-El who tells her the planet is going to blow. This is how Jor-El knows about Earth and the Sun's effect on Kryptonions. Years later She starts using the Lois identity to get close to Clark. She falls in love with him and wants him to love her for who she is not because is is the only other Krytonian alive. So she doesn't tell him for a while. She helps him under a masked identity.
    this is a very good twist on Superman mythos. I really would like to se this DCAU

How do the Lanes fit into this? Or do they?

Fantastic Member

How do the Lanes fit into this? Or do they?
    They don't.

Astonishing Member

I think they should give her a superpower that can actually help in her job. Perhaps something like turning invisible or blending into walls. So she could go out on her secret missions, but yet have some kinda super powers that doesn't allow her to be in the center of a physical combat.
    That way, she'll kinda need to work in a team and she could have her own book.

Ultimate Member

I kind of want her to keep the Brainiac powers. Not necessarily forever, but for the forseeable future. To be clear, I have no problem with "normal human" Lois at all. It's just that this whole "Lois gets powers only to lose them quickly" plot has been done repeatedly in the past, it's kind of gotten old. Having the consequences stick, at least indefinitely, could actually give it some meaning this time. Plus it could be an interesting new angle to take her character/give her something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    I think they should give her a superpower that can actually help in her job. Perhaps something like turning invisible or blending into walls. So she could go out on her secret missions, but yet have some kinda super powers that doesn't allow her to be in the center of a physical combat.
    That way, she'll kinda need to work in a team and she could have her own book.
    No, Lois shouldn't get a superpower to help in her job. The beauty of Lois, and what's always been impressive about her, is that she represents what humans can accomplish without superpowers. Lois can have her own book to just tell stories about her using human-level fighting skills and investigative prowess to expose corruption and foil villainous plots before they get out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I kind of want her to keep the Brainiac powers. Not necessarily forever, but for the forseeable future. To be clear, I have no problem with "normal human" Lois at all. It's just that this whole "Lois gets powers only to lose them quickly" plot has been done repeatedly in the past, it's kind of gotten old. Having the consequences stick, at least indefinitely, could actually give it some meaning this time. Plus it could be an interesting new angle to take her character/give her something to do.
    Lois has had these powers in New 52 continuity for over a year now. It's hardly another example of her getting powers and losing them quickly. The only thing Lois needs to have in order to do something is a story to chase.
    Last edited by misslane; 08-25-2014 at 11:15 AM.